Gibson Brands Forums

Very Cool New Acoustic "Tube" amps being built here in Minnesota!

TP

post-12621-061867300 1283445903_thumb.jpgpost-12621-034226000 1283445920_thumb.jpg

Guys.....

I think I am in love! One of these amps is so what I would love to have in my music room. No idea on the cost or anything, but it seems to be an up and coming small boutique builder. He said that he has been working on them for the last 10 months and the idea was inspired by Brian Applegate, a local Luthier who used to work with Jim Olson learning the craft of building guitars. I can only imagine, these will be awesome sounding as well, but likely out of my price range... [cursing]

Check out this link if you dare... You will get GAS (this time it is "Gear" Aquisition Syndrome) [thumbup]

If the facebook link doesn't work, you can click on the thumbnail photos above for more to drool about.

This is a Facebook link so I hope it works

Is that a Fay it's pictured with? Yeah - probably out of our price range.

I don't know how they sound, obviously, but TBH, they look a little gimmicky.

Pretty sure it would be an Applegate since he was involved with the design. From what I hear, his guitars are just as well built as Olsons but slightly cheaper and not as long a wait time. [thumbup]

• 1 year later...

Very classy.

I hope the circuit design and loudspeakers can deliver audio quality to match the cabinetry.

They certainly do :) Most of the design/development effort went into the sound quality. The aesthetics are a bonus

(sorry for the late reply - didn't see this posting at the time)

A new review is coming out in ten days - I'll post the link when it hits the street

Best

Gerry

Humphrey Amps:

Humphrey Amps website

Facebook

• 4 weeks later...

The ToneQuest Report review is out now:

" . . . The bottom line on the Espresso 15 is this: It captures and amplifies the true sound of your acoustic guitar with the lush musical character of a handwired tube amplifier rather than a stiff and sterile piece of modern sound reinforcement . . . "

There's a pdf copy available at HumphreyAmps

True

. . . except where the tube amp was built specifically for an acoustic guitar, from the ground up . ..

The ToneQuest Report has detailed info on the design goals - I can't make you read it, but if you want to be fair when making comments . . . just sayin' . . .

pdf is here: HumphreyAmps

I didn't start this thread (almost 2 years ago! - wow), but I'm sure grateful to TP for making the intro!

Best

I might expect a tube amp to work better than a SS amp for acoustic if it is designed with the goal of fidelity, or rather, a lack of coloration of sound.

In the guitar world, we associate tubes with coloring the sound- and we USE them for that. In contrast, using SS devices for the same type of coloring or distortion makes for nasty results. Further supporting the myth that tubes are inferior to SS devices for fidelity.

But the reality is that it is more difficult and expensive to make a SS device that performs as well as a tube for fidelity.

LONG version (for those who care): A SS device works much the same way as a tube, the difference being that the electrical signal must pass through a substance (such as silicone or whatever it is made from). A tube has the signal pass through a vacuum. Typically, the signal looses a lot of detail and information passing through a SS device as well as introduces a lot of a hashy sound at the same time. MOSTLY it is the loss of detail and information though.

The disadvantage of tubes is that the voltages they operate at requires an output transformer, and making one in such a way as to get the inpedences right for all the frequencies is a bit of a challenge. That is where differences in bass and treble responce can happen. And as we all should know, trannies are one of the most (or THE most) expensive component of an amp.

In the "audiophile world", where preservation of detail AND correct frequency responce is king, once the effort and expense is made to the output tranny, it then becomes more difficult and expensive to make a SS amp that performs as well. This is why NEW tube amps and tube designs are still being made. Not because they color the sound that audiophiles like, but because they color the sound LESS than a SS amp of a certain price point.

Back to shorter version: As guitar players, we often forget that while tube amp can and do alter the frequency responces of a signal, we are also STILL getting more clarity and preserving more of the signal using tubes rather than SS devices. They not only sound better for the distortions or alterations we like, but they have more clarity and detail of the signal as they do.

Building a GREAT sounding acoustic amp that is NOT coloring the sound would seem easier by designing a tube amp that avoids it than trying to get clarity and preservation of the signal using SS devices in place of tubes.

I am confused as to the choice of tubes, though. EL-84's put out very little power and have more harmonic distortions than nearly every type made. I might expect a tube amp made for fidelity to use kt-88's or 6L6's.

The High End Audiophiles use a $10,000 turntable with a $5000 stylus and even more expensive tube amplifiers for the ultimate in pure clean sweet audiophile sound. It all depends on the design of the amplifier as to if the tube/tubes create distortion or clean powerful pure tones.

The High End Audiophiles use a $10,000 turntable with a $5000 stylus and even more expensive tube amplifiers for the ultimate in pure clean sweet audiophile sound. It all depends on the design of the amplifier as to if the tube/tubes create distortion or clean powerful pure tones.

Well, yes, that's true. But what is also true is that a lot of "audiophiles" don't HAVE to have THAT much money into the stuff.

Quicksilver, Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, Cary, etc., all have made tube amps in the 2000-3000 range, sometimes less money than that. And we are talking about top-notch quality here.

I try and make the point that GENERALLY speaking, once the investment is made to produce a good quality output transformer that tubes require, you aren't going to equal the performance of a tube amp with a SS amp until you spend more bucks and put a lot more effort into the design of the amp to allow it to sound as good as the tube models.

Of corse, when it comes to spare-no-expense state-of-the-art amps, it is likely a tube amp anyway. There are far more top-quality tube amps than SS amps in the "audiophile" world.

I think you are correct in your post- I might expand on that by reinforcing that it isn't tubes that color or distort the sound, but the DESIGN of an amp that causes this. Tubes can be as clean and pure or as coloered as the design of the amp allows.

Well, yes, that's true. But what is also true is that a lot of "audiophiles" don't HAVE to have THAT much money into the stuff.

Quicksilver, Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, Cary, etc., all have made tube amps in the 2000-3000 range, sometimes less money than that. And we are talking about top-notch quality here.

Yes I may have exaggerated a bit on the dollar figures, but I do have a friend that spends nearly that kind of money on his equipment. I know another guy who would go all over the country and buy the sound systems out of older movie theaters and pull the big old tube amplifiers and refit them into a nice chassis that fit into a home environment and sell them to audiophiles for huge dollars.

I will certainly check them out but fair warning - I plug my acoustics into a 1955 Fender Twin-Amp. That is one tough act to follow.

Ditto-That! But my Twins are late '60 and early '70's. I will say that those Humphreys' have awesome-looking cabinets [thumbup]

Hope they sound as great as they look!

Being a bit of an audiophile myself...I much prefer tube amp/preamp sound for extended 'quality' playback listening. When listening through my "modded' Dynaco ST-70 or HK Citation amp, I get a great 'real' sound if the 'source' is pure and well-recorded. "Live sound" can be quite different than "playback sound".

There is a lot of magic in tubes! Amazing when they get sounding better as they 'warm-up'...

If anyone purchases one of these i wish them the best of luck. I have played and owned many acoustic and electric amps over the years. An amp like this is a one trick pony, at 15 watts it will likely distort a little when turned up and the tubes will color the sound. I highly recomend something that can be used with a mic as well so the acoustic player can sing and play at the same time and have a little more versatility. I owned a Deadelus system with top dollar preamps and effects unit and top level poweramp and it still did not sound better thana small powered PA system. Not trying to knock this amp but versatility is definitely very important.

JM

If anyone purchases one of these i wish them the best of luck. I have played and owned many acoustic and electric amps over the years. An amp like this is a one trick pony, at 15 watts it will likely distort a little when turned up and the tubes will color the sound. I highly recomend something that can be used with a mic as well so the acoustic player can sing and play at the same time and have a little more versatility. I owned a Deadelus system with top dollar preamps and effects unit and top level poweramp and it still did not sound better thana small powered PA system. Not trying to knock this amp but versatility is definitely very important.

JM

Hi JM - I really don't have a problem if you want to knock it, but it's kinda unfair to make statements like " . . it will likely distort . . . " when you haven't actually tried it yourself.

The folks at ToneQuest, Vintage Guitar mag and Acoustic Guitar mag had them for several weeks and tried many guitar/pickup systems before writing their opinions.

BTW - many of the amps we make use combo xlr- 1/4" connectors on one (or both) of the inputs, with phantom power, for folks that want to use a mic. Lots of options available, so the amp is very versatile.

Many customers use them for gigging, with the amp as a stage monitor and a feed from the balanced line-out to the house PA (sounds way better than just plugging straight in to PA)

Best

Hi JM - I really don't have a problem if you want to knock it, but it's kinda unfair to make statements like " . . it will likely distort . . . " when you haven't actually tried it yourself.

The folks at ToneQuest, Vintage Guitar mag and Acoustic Guitar mag had them for several weeks and tried many guitar/pickup systems before writing their opinions.

BTW - many of the amps we make use combo xlr- 1/4" connectors on one (or both) of the inputs, with phantom power, for folks that want to use a mic. Lots of options available, so the amp is very versatile.

Many customers use them for gigging, with the amp as a stage monitor and a feed from the balanced line-out to the house PA (sounds way better than just plugging straight in to PA)

Best

As we all know this is an open forum. I was not and do not think I was knocking your product but rather giving my opinions from pats experiences. you are correct that I should hear it before i state that it will distort.. My bad. If I hear of anyone in Montana having one of these amps i will make an effort to give it a try! I will PM you to get some more info. I was just sharing my personal experiences limited as they may be.

Jeremy

I would like to start out by thanking Gerry for educating me about Humphrey Amps! It appears that I was thinking that this amplifier would react in a similar manner to electric amps that I own and have owned. The Humphrey 15 most definately recreats the sound of the acoustic guitar really REALLY WELL in a manner i did not expect! I look forward to checking one of these out once I have a chance and possibly moving my live rig into a new direction. These also to have much more flexibility than i initially thought. I encourage folks to give this new approach a try as I am sure you will be pleased. My previous comments are a perfect example of "My way is the best" not true by the way. There are many ways to get your sound out to the audience so keep an open mind... You never know what your ears may find!

JM

I would like to start out by thanking Gerry for educating me about Humphrey Amps! It appears that I was thinking that this amplifier would react in a similar manner to electric amps that I own and have owned. The Humphrey 15 most definately recreats the sound of the acoustic guitar really REALLY WELL in a manner i did not expect! I look forward to checking one of these out once I have a chance and possibly moving my live rig into a new direction. These also to have much more flexibility than i initially thought. I encourage folks to give this new approach a try as I am sure you will be pleased. My previous comments are a perfect example of "My way is the best" not true by the way. There are many ways to get your sound out to the audience so keep an open mind... You never know what your ears may find!

JM

OK, Jeremy, what caused this turn-around in thinking?

As we all know this is an open forum. I was not and do not think I was knocking your product but rather giving my opinions from pats experiences. you are correct that I should hear it before i state that it will distort.. My bad. If I hear of anyone in Montana having one of these amps i will make an effort to give it a try! I will PM you to get some more info. I was just sharing my personal experiences limited as they may be.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy!

Hope we can arrange a demo soon

Best!

Gerry

Archived