Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic - thoughts, reviews?

Fedaykin98

Just registered for this forum, couldn't find a thread about these guitars.

I've been kind of out of the electric guitar game for a while, and I'm reading about what all's happened lately.

Sounds like Gibson has started producing lighter weight Les Pauls - the heaviness was a big factor in my selling the two I used to own, so that really interests me. Then I read that there's a model called "Classic" that has higher output pickups, which again is very interesting to me since I play mainly metal and punk.

So, anyone played one? Thoughts? Favorite colors?

Thanks in advance!

My first LP was a 2007 Classic. Its a chambered guitar, light weight and yes it has the highest output pickups that Gibson makes. If thats what you are looking for that's your guitar... The price is right too... You will hear people who don't like it because it is too light and too loud... Not a subtle guitar for sure.

I haven't played one yet, but hopefully I'll remedy that this Sunday. Like I said, light is a big plus for me. High output is a plus for me. As far as thin necks, I imagine that's a plus as well. We'll see once I get my hands on one.

Thanks for the thoughts so far! Keep 'em coming! =P~

My first LP was a 98 Classic Plus. Around 9-10 lb.

It has a one piece body and 60s neck. Compared

to my third LP (01 Standard), I have to say that

the 98 Classic has better build-quality. The rosewood

fret board is better, inlays have sharp edges and set

in cleanly, etc. IMHO, Std 60s neck and Classic are

the same guitars with different pickups.

I would buy another LP Classic from the 90s.

light is a big plus for me.

High output is a plus for me.

As far as thin necks' date=' I imagine that's a plus as well. [/quote']

The Classic is the ticket then...

I loved everything about mine except the pickups, so the ceramics came out for BurstBuckers.

Shoulda went with 57 Classics, but that's a long story...

In Houston?

Where are you shopping?

I bought my Classic from Evan's on Westheimer in 2001.

Rock'n Robin on Shepherd used to have a good selection, I bought several from them.

I suppose there's always Guitar Center, if you like the abuse....

In Houston?

Where are you shopping?

I bought my Classic from Evan's on Westheimer in 2001.

Rock'n Robin on Shepherd used to have a good selection' date=' I bought several from them.

I suppose there's always Guitar Center, if you like the abuse....[/quote']

I've been to all those stores many times. Rockin' Robin definitely has a ton of Gibsons. I went to Evans the other day and they didn't have that many electric guitars; I seem to remember them having more back in the day.

There's actually a few cool salespeople at the Guitar Center on Westheimer these days, too.

So you replaced the stock pickups? What didn't you like about them?

So you replaced the stock pickups? What didn't you like about them?

Well' date=' here's one man's story about his quest for tone.

[b']Chapter 5;

There really is a difference in pickups, and it ain't Chevy, Ford or Dodge.[/b]

Let me say my LP Classic looked and played fantastic but I had a cheapo solid state amp at the time. (Divorce)

I was busy working, traveling and such, knowing I would worry about it more later.

The sound wasn't perfect, but I was gonna get a tube amp later. How different could it be?

I bought a tube amp, Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12, my Strat sounded better than ever!

Plugged in the Les Paul Classic and reality set in.....

Too thin, too shrill.

I'm a classic rock/blues guy and I could never get what I wanted out of my new LP.

Even playing stuff like Scorpions it just didn't seem to have the dynamic range I like.

Previously, I had two Standards that sounded good but had other issues with them so I sold them.

Seemed to me the only thing my Classic sounded right for was Pantera and heavy stuff like that - not my groove.

I do not like a highly processed signal.

I solicited the advice of every Les Paul player I knew, the only thing different in my guitar was the pickups.

Studying more about the ceramic pickups (I finally had the internet!) and talking to guitar guys I knew cinched it.

I wanted weak pickups. Look at the itty-bitty output from the pickups in a Strat or especially a Tele! Killer tone though!

Yes, lower output pickups (known as "vintage") were the key to the Olde School/Classic Rock stuff I like from days past.

A friend I met when I moved to Phoenix in 2001 explained it thusly;

You can boost good tone, but good tone doesn't COME from boosting the signal.

If your rig sounds badass, but needs a little more gain to be perfect - no problem.

If you start out with too hot pickups, lots of gain and distortion, and run it thru processers, you won't "find" tone in there.

I use absolutely no pedals, I like the idea of a good guitar, good tube amp, and a good quality cord between them.

Using a Tube Screamer or some sort of boost for the signal during leads I can understand - I've yet to buy one.

AlNiCo magnets are a must, lower output is better.

My $.02 anyway....

Okay, so I went out today and tried a couple LP Classics as well as a brand new 2008 LP Standard. I was amazed how light these guitars were, especially the goldtop classic I saw.

That said, what once seemed like a plus may not have been after all. From playing 2 different Classics through 2 different amps, it seemed like the guitars could not do a totally clean sound - like the hot pickups mean that you've got at least a slightly overdriven sound when your amp is on clean.

Is that consistent with what y'all have found?

Thanks!

They all have a little sizzle to them ' date=' if you drop the p'up about 1/8th od an inch the clean right up .[/quote']

Now that's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of.

I had thought that if I got a Goldtop Classic, I could put ivory (off-white) colored EMGs in there, which presumably would look a bit like a Goldtop with cream P-90s in it.

I had also thought of just getting the new 2008 Standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I just picked up an LP Classic last week. I had been poking around the LPs for awhile and suddenly a I spotted a Honeyburst Classic. The colour/finish was the reason I picked it off the rack and plugged it into a '65 Princeton Reverb RI (my amp). I was impressed with the neck, workmanship, weight, and general feel. I found the neck very easy to play and was able to stretch my pinky finger further than I was used to. The pick-ups are powerful for sure and I run the Classic through the second low input on my Princeton. Like those who already posted, it's hard to clean-up these pick-ups and the neck pup is a little muddy with low feq noise. I was resisting the urge to replace the pups but with the guitar being so new to me, I was simply trying to find its sweet spot. There are real-world applications for pups like these - demolition of small buildings, removing paint from walls, and scaring off young children. I'm definitely backing off the pup height tonight as suggested by AXE to see if it tames the guitar. My only complaint about this guitar are the machine heads. There's barely enough room to wrap the low E around the bottom of the post once. When restringing I actually had to unwind the low E and shorten it becuase the second winding rode up over the first. I probably sound like a total newbie saying that... guess I'm spolied by the F-tuners on my tele.

Archived