Gibson Brands Forums

Let that Gibby sing!

RASHARU

It's been an unusually HOT & DRY summer here in the South Eastern Conference of middle America. Tonight was actually my first official backyard pit-fire party of the season. Normally I take one of my "beater" acoustics (my Martin 00) outside to sit by the fire with friends & sing ... but tonight I decided to take "Big Daddy Gibb" out for the show. I'm not sure if it was the intoxicatingly cool weather, the warm raging fire, the bright clear moon, or just me downing my 8th Miller Genuine Draft.. but man, that Gibby sure was singin' tonight. Sweeeet!

Do any of you guys (or gals) ever party around the campfire like this? S'mores galore & wooozy chicks! Oh, heck yeah! Talk to me!

Back in the '90's we lived in Gwinnett Co., GA, and so did my brother. He had a fire pit, and it was not uncomon to fire it up, and the Weber, down a few cold ones (and certain other activities) with the girls and play the guit-fiddles. At that time, I was playing my Penco D-35 knock-off. It still smells a bit like that old fire pit.

anim_beer.gif

Had a similar experience last night, here in the mountains of western NC. Cool, clear night, flowing wine, a campfire, and my J-100xtra. In the firelight, you can see how people's eyes mist up when a song starts, when they're remembering. And I know in my head it could be any guitar, but on nights like this, it feels like only mine can wield that kind of magic.

How is it so easy to forget the healing properties of fire and song??

I always bring a guitar to any firepit party I am going to or hosting.... It always ends up being a hit and I personally feel that I play better and certainly sing better after my 8th MGD as well! [thumbup] Guitars were meant to play in these situations.....

Here is my LG1 at a firepit we have at our Cabin in Wabasha, MN along the banks of the beautiful Mississippi River where it separates Minnesota and Wisconsin.

LG1FIreSM.jpg

I always bring a guitar to any firepit

Here is my LG1 at a firepit

OK so we've seen the BEFORE shot, so where is the AFTER SHOT?!!!

Or maybe that is the after shot and the LG-1 was spared and just the Taylors got used to make the bonfire?!!!!!

Yup, back in Mississippi I figured that is what that big porch on my old run down, rambling Victorian house was for.

Here in the middle of the country, it is hard to not do it when live across the street from a lake. Get a fire pit going and crank up the smoker for some meat and shrimp, cook up a big old pot of dirty rice and beans, bake some bread, and grab a few bottles of the local wine. Guitars, fiddles, mandolins and the one guy who always has to bring a banjo. Lots of Beatles and Kinks tunes, some Zevon, a Townes Van Zandt tune or two, some traditional tunes like "Banks of the Ohio," the bligatory "Copperhead Road" and such.

Yup, back in Mississippi I figured that is what that big porch on my old run down, rambling Victorian house was for.

Here in the middle of the country, it is hard to not do it when live across the street from a lake. Get a fire pit going and crank up the smoker for some meat and shrimp, cook up a big old pot of dirty rice and beans, bake some bread, and grab a few bottles of the local wine. Guitars, fiddles, mandolins and the one guy who always has to bring a banjo. Lots of Beatles and Kinks tunes, some Zevon, a Townes Van Zandt tune or two, some traditional tunes like "Banks of the Ohio," the bligatory "Copperhead Road" and such.

I would love to hear some Kink's with Banjo accompaniment! [scared]

Here is my LG1 at a firepit we have at our Cabin in Wabasha, MN along the banks of the beautiful Mississippi River where it separates Minnesota and Wisconsin.

LG1FIreSM.jpg

For years and years it was my '64 LG-1 that I dragged to the campfire, so I gotta say how much I love this pic!! (Don't let that plastic reverse-belly bridge get too close to the heat now! [scared] )

For years and years it was my '64 LG-1 that I dragged to the campfire, so I gotta say how much I love this pic!! (Don't let that plastic reverse-belly bridge get too close to the heat now! [scared] )

No worries.... swapped to rosewood with bone saddle and nut years ago. [thumbup]

Kumbaya - it works best if everyone sits in a circle holding hands.

Nah,

Rave ups like "Twist and Shout" are great.

Other fun ones which get aired out quite a bit and are pretty easy to play:

Beatles - I've Just Seen a Face

Zevon - Werewolves of London and Lawyers, Guns and Money

Kinks - Lola

Steve Earle - Copperhead Road

Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care

Stones - It's All Over Now

Mitch Ryder - Devil with a Blue Dress medley

Swing Low Sweet C. . . - Trad.

Bye Bye Love - Felice and Boudleaux Bryant

Celia - Simon

If I was a Carpenter - Hardin

The Joker - Miller

Down by the River - Young (people seem to get very intense during the chorus)

Happiness Runs - Donovan (makes a fun canon)

After Midnight - Cale

Please Mister Postman - Dobbins, Garett, Holland, Bateman, Gorman (some ambitious contra choir possibility there)

Wigwam - Dylan (very good a the point where noone any longer can remember/pronounce words)

Finally : Goodnight Ladies (just hummed into the upcoming dawn)

oouhhh, , , and then Picassos Last Words - McCartney (once in a while as the night rolls)

Hi all -- I'm back!

I'll be having my annual BBQ here at the farm in a few weeks and if the weather's good there will be a dozen or more musicians of varying experience down by the campfire starting at dusk. Both my Gibbys will be in attendance, with the B-15 available for those who weren't able to pack their own instrument with all their gear. (If it rains, like it did in spades last year, we'll be in the barn and plugged in for the whole county to enjoy **grin**)

"Music by Firelight" literally....

I expect to hear everything from John Prine to Johnny Cash to AC DC to Melissa Etheridge to Daughtry to endless jazz -- acoustic versions of just about anything. Too bad we don't record these annual shindigs, because the mix of styles and techniques brings out some AMAZING layers of rhythm, lead, and harmony. The wildest percussion came from a rock drummer who grabbed BBQ tongs and an empty soda bottle.

Archived