Gibson Brands Forums

New guy here!

goldsworthy

Oh man you have a gold mine of guitars, and if most of them are like those you have posted with some I am sure that will be rare and vintage mint condition. Your collection could be worth a million dollars.

Its not my gold mine (its my wife's) I imagine it will take lots of time to research these guitars. There are other ones that are not Gibson's some say Epiphone and there are other names.I will work on more photos and post here for member viewing. Thanks again for all the info!

Goldsworthy - If it was me, I would do like the gentleman said and have somebody like Gruhn's in Nashville handle the sales of these guitars. The world of vintage guitars is a very complicated business, much like antiques or fine arts. You wouldn't try to liquidate a substantial art collection without using the services of a qualified expert, right?

If you try to sell them yourself, you will be quickly overwhelmed and your wife will likely lose money on every sale. [scared]

Bring in the pros and everthing will be hunky dory. [biggrin]

What? I'm assuming he's been gone for a while? No guitars went to family members in the will?

I'm a little suspicious

I was told most members here are the suspicious type.LOL anyway, I have no intention of selling these guitars here on the forum so why would I bother to try anything suspicious here?. I was merely looking for information. We will be selling these through a dealer when the time comes. As far as the family goes They got lots of cash left to them in his will, none of them play anything and besides, don't you think the wife of 20 years should get most of the stuff? Anyway. no hard feelings at this end. I have contacted Gruhn's in Nashville By E Mail I will see if they can sell the lot. Rocky4 I see you live not to far from me! Who knows maybe you might want to buy a Guitar or two from us in person we live in southern Wisconsin

Hi Goldsworthy and welcome.

What a great story. I'm fascinated and would love to know what you and your wife decide to do with the guitars.

As for the forum, there will be dozens of people also fascinated by this and would be willing to offer info and help on these guitars. There is a huge wealth of info here.

As someone has already mentioned, you might get some more focussed info on the different sub forums here. Start by sorting the guitars into solid bodies, hollow bodies (typically with f holes - like the photos you have already posted) and acoustics. If you can subdivide the solid bodies further into Les Pauls, SGs etc, there are seperate sub forums for each group of guitars.

Again, as has already been advised, get some professional help. If you and your wife have circa 300 of this sort of quality, you are sitting on some serious value.

Good luck mate and keep the photos and the updates coming.

BTW, I want to marry your wife!

Hi Goldsworthy and welcome.

What a great story. I'm fascinated and would love to know what you and your wife decide to do with the guitars.

As for the forum, there will be dozens of people also fascinated by this and would be willing to offer info and help on these guitars. There is a huge wealth of info here.

As someone has already mentioned, you might get some more focussed info on the different sub forums here. Start by sorting the guitars into solid bodies, hollow bodies (typically with f holes - like the photos you have already posted) and acoustics. If you can subdivide the solid bodies further into Les Pauls, SGs etc, there are seperate sub forums for each group of guitars.

Again, as has already been advised, get some professional help. If you and your wife have circa 300 of this sort of quality, you are sitting on some serious value.

Good luck mate and keep the photos and the updates coming.

BTW, I want to marry your wife! She has a single sister! ( but she has no Guitars)

Sounds like you're on the right track.

If you're not in a hurry to move them, just make sure there's no damage to any of them.

One helpful strategic hint;

Buy some clear plastic sleeves like you would use for ID badges at a conference or meeting.

Use a durable plastic zip tie - or Mouse Belt as I call 'em.

Fasten them to each guitar case at the handle or on a latch.

When you open it up, take a digital pic of each guitar as it rests in the case.

Print the pic, and write the serial number on it along with any model information (L5, SG, 400CES, etc.)

Trim it so it fits in the sleeve.

Basically, you will have an ID badge for each one so a quick glance tells you what's inside.

Now you will not have to open every case to find a particular one.

I did this simply to keep track of which case goes with which guitar.

I can even send the Missus into my office to grab a case for me, and she knows which one...

[thumbup]

Hmm....would that before or after the guitars are sold?

[wink]

No disrespect to Goldsworthy, or his good lady......................but am I correct in thinking that coveting another man's wife's guitars is probably against the spirit of the Ten Commandments? I think it might be.

How much for this one?

I wouldn't know, We are sending ALL the Guitars to a dealer in Nashville for appraisal and sale. My wife and I couldn't begin selling these as we know NOTHING about Guitars at all. However, if you are interested I can let you know when the dealer has these Guitars and I am sure he will be glad to sell some or all to ya!

I wouldn't know, We are sending ALL the Guitars to a dealer in Nashville for appraisal and sale. My wife and I couldn't begin selling these as we know NOTHING about Guitars at all. However, if you are interested I can let you know when the dealer has these Guitars and I am sure he will be glad to sell some or all to ya!

Please do! Thanks goldsworthy! [thumbup]

Archived