Gibson Brands Forums

Coil Split

LedZep2112

Hey everyone, I have a few questions. I have a epi special II and am looking to upgrade to an epi les paul standard. ihave looked and i want the most versitile guitar out there. I have looked tirelessly on these forums for an answer to a question no one has asked. Can the 57/57+ be turned from 2 to 4 conductor pickups? Thats what ive heard you have to do to acheive coil split, if not, if you could tell me how thatd be great. I want to go from Communication Breakdown to Roll the bones(Rush) in a pull of a knob.

any info would help. I wanted to post this again in a different spot, just to get the question out there. Im sure a lot more people besides me would like this answer too.

thanks

My opinion is that if you want a versatile guitar, one that will go from blues to country to rock, humbucker to single coil sound, you should buy an Ultra 2.

I know that some people are going to jump all over me for that opinion, but I own an Ultra 2, and it is a great guitar. The Nanomag pickup at the base of the neck can be used like a single coil. It can be blended in with the humbuckers to give a nice thick clean sound also.

It does not have a coil split built in, but with the Nanomag you won't need that.

It is true that some people have had trouble with their Ultra 2's, mine has been trouble free. And I suspect there are more happy owners out there than unhappy.

All right, something to think about, but I think you get that with all epi guitars, you cant make everyone happy.

I think you get that with all brands of guitar, not just Epi's.

There are a lot of guitars with big names out there that are dogs.

ihave looked and i want the most versitile guitar out there.

Not an Epi, not a LP, even, but the the BMG Special is incredibly versatile (3 Tri-Sonic single coils, wired in series so when you switch 2 on, they act as a 'bucker, plus with phase reversal for each....chambered body....a huge tonal variety at your disposal), and built incredibly well - MIK, 18:1 locking Grovers, ebony fretboard, Wilkinson vibrato that actually stays in tune with use...all around great guitar, although a lil pricier than an Epi LP. But I love mine..... BMGs truly are overlooked - they're not just for fanboys of Dr May, they are versatile instruments in their own right.

antique_cherry2b.jpg

BrianMayGuitars

At least try a Epi LUCILLE before leaving the store...

put the Vari-Tone 6-position switch through its paces...

You may be pleasantly surprised!

CHEEKS

Indeed - those are quite nice in their own right - my daughter's boyfriend has one, it's a nice player, for sure!!!

Not an Epi, not a LP, even, but the the BMG Special is incredibly versatile (3 Tri-Sonic single coils, wired in series so when you switch 2 on, they act as a 'bucker, plus with phase reversal for each....chambered body....a huge tonal variety at your disposal), and built incredibly well - MIK, 18:1 locking Grovers, ebony fretboard, Wilkinson vibrato that actually stays in tune with use...all around great guitar, although a lil pricier than an Epi LP. But I love mine..... BMGs truly are overlooked - they're not just for fanboys of Dr May, they are versatile instruments in their own right.

antique_cherry2b.jpg

BrianMayGuitars

IF that is SIX (6) SLIDE SWITCHES I see there on that thing,

I would not touch that thing with a 10-foot pole!

Just wait a couple of years and you'll know what i am

talking about... DIRT in the SLIDE SWITCHES and

those type of switches are the easiest to WEAR OUT.

The copper slide contacts inside get oxidized and then

it gets "intermittent contacts"... noisey and scratchy...

like a dirty pot... only this is a switch!

And to compound matters, you have 6 of those.

They are super cheap switches.

A very poor choice for switches, IF those are

SLIDE SWITCHES.

SLIDE SWITCHES are mostly found on cheap

consumer electronics goods.

Another thing: Let's say a SLIDE SWITCH

did wear out prematurely, WHERE are you

going to get one to replace it as a perfect

match to the old switch ?

Now.... WITH TOGGLE SWITCHES, the mounting

port is nothing more than a round hole !

At least you'll be able to find a standard

TOGGLE switch as a replacement.

CHEEKS

all right guys, but im pretty hellbent on a paul. I just think that my guitar. i like the sound, i like the style, and I like the color, the only thing I need is for it to sound like a single coil guitar at the flick of a switch. thanks for guitar advice though. [thumbup]

all right guys, but im pretty hellbent on a paul. I just think that my guitar. i like the sound, i like the style, and I like the color, the only thing I need is for it to sound like a single coil guitar at the flick of a switch. thanks for guitar advice though. [thumbup]

Remember:

SLIDE switches = BAD.

TOGGLE switches = GOOD.

CHEEKS

IF that is SIX (6) SLIDE SWITCHES I see there on that thing,

I would not touch that thing with a 10-foot pole!

Just wait a couple of years and you'll know what i am

talking about... DIRT in the SLIDE SWITCHES and

those type of switches are the easiest to WEAR OUT.

The copper slide contacts inside get oxidized and then

it gets "intermittent contacts"... noisey and scratchy...

like a dirty pot... only this is a switch!

And to compound matters, you have 6 of those.

They are super cheap switches.

A very poor choice for switches, IF those are

SLIDE SWITCHES.

SLIDE SWITCHES are mostly found on cheap

consumer electronics goods.

Another thing: Let's say a SLIDE SWITCH

did wear out prematurely, WHERE are you

going to get one to replace it as a perfect

match to the old switch ?

Now.... WITH TOGGLE SWITCHES, the mounting

port is nothing more than a round hole !

At least you'll be able to find a standard

TOGGLE switch as a replacement.

CHEEKS

Get over yourself, arsecheeks ..... Yeah, they're slide switches ... so the phock what? If they're cheap, as you declare, then it will be a cheap replacement, yes???....not to mention, Switchcraft makes the same type of replacement switches. It is not "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" as you make out, and yeah, Epis 3-way toggles are great quality... I'm pretty sure the stock stuff on my BMG are no "cheaper" than the electronics in your Epi Lucille.

I think you're just being like a jealous little girl that I have 3 pups that can be on or off in any combo, and phase switching on any of the 3. I, for one, am not worried about the quality of the switches.... a minor worry in the scheme of things. You, sir arsecheeks, should just settle down.

Don't touch one of these with a ten foot pole, I could not care less .... I just offered it up as an alternative (hmmm, same idea as you offering up the Lucille as an alternative...Hmmmm)...... I've played my daughter's boyfriend's Lucille at length.... very nice guitar....have played my BMG at much greater length.....absolutely outstanding guitar. Different squeaks for different cheeks, I suppose ....... effoff, jitbag

Can the 57/57+ be turned from 2 to 4 conductor pickups?

Technically, it can be done, where the 2 coils of each pickup be separated and go to separate leads, but it's delicate working with 46 gauge wire. Since stock Epi pickups are a dime a dozen, the risk factor is small if you want to try it. IMO, if coil splitting is important to you, kill 2 stones with one bird and upgrade to better pickups with 4 leads.

Since stock Epi pickups are a dime a dozen

theyre gibsons. gibson 57 classic and 57 plus if im understanding you. I want the 57s to be coil tapped if that changes anything.

(I can tuna Guitar quote) Kill two stones with one bird.

did you say that on purpose? [biggrin]

If you can find some gibson 57's out of a Epiphone Tribute they are four wire.

They should fit your needs.

so the 57s are 2 wire. all rite. I don't know where to get them though. i mean, jeese it comes with the guitar. i dont think anyone would switch those out.

Get over yourself, arsecheeks ..... Yeah, they're slide switches ... so the phock what? If they're cheap, as you declare, then it will be a cheap replacement, yes???....not to mention, Switchcraft makes the same type of replacement switches. It is not "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" as you make out, and yeah, Epis 3-way toggles are great quality... I'm pretty sure the stock stuff on my BMG are no "cheaper" than the electronics in your Epi Lucille.

I think you're just being like a jealous little girl that I have 3 pups that can be on or off in any combo, and phase switching on any of the 3. I, for one, am not worried about the quality of the switches.... a minor worry in the scheme of things. You, sir arsecheeks, should just settle down.

Don't touch one of these with a ten foot pole, I could not care less .... I just offered it up as an alternative (hmmm, same idea as you offering up the Lucille as an alternative...Hmmmm)...... I've played my daughter's boyfriend's Lucille at length.... very nice guitar....have played my BMG at much greater length.....absolutely outstanding guitar. Different squeaks for different cheeks, I suppose ....... effoff, jitbag

Thank you.

CHEEKS

Since stock Epi pickups are a dime a dozen

theyre gibsons. gibson 57 classic and 57 plus if im understanding you. I want the 57s to be coil tapped if that changes anything.

(I can tuna Guitar quote) Kill two stones with one bird.

did you say that on purpose? [biggrin]

AFAIK, Epiphone Les Paul Standards come stock with Epiphone 2-lead humbuckers. And I'm pretty sure stock Gibson 57s are also 2-lead, whereas aftermarket Gibbys are 4-lead.

Yes, I said that on purpose.

AFAIK, Epiphone Les Paul Standards come stock with Epiphone 2-lead humbuckers. And I'm pretty sure stock Gibson 57s are also 2-lead, whereas aftermarket Gibbys are 4-lead.

Yes, I said that on purpose.

all rite. Il talk to my guitar store tech and see what he would think would be best.

thanks for your help

ya, I havent even heard of slide switches on a guitar, thats something you put on an R/C car. [biggrin]

Ahhhh, grasshopper .... slide switches on guitars are nothing new, at all (perhaps a lot of y'all are too young to remember the '60's/'70's?). Very few folks come here and speak positively of Epi electronics ..... oh, the switch needs to be replaced...oh, the jack, oh, the pups, oh the wiring, oh the tuners [rolleyes] And a certain someone wants to bleat on about how bad slide switches are on another guitar he's likely never laid hands on. Let's see, the BM switching system has worked for the Dr for, ummmm, over 45+ years, since he built the original. So what, the switches might wear out???? I'll replace them when they do -I ain't chicken little, getting a new guitar and thinking I need to "upgrade" the switch/tuners/jack/pups because I read it on a forum.

Sorry, "someone" got me way off topic and on a rant. To the op, I'd just invest in a decent set of replacement pups that are 4 wire, and not have to bother with the troubles of diy...... not that there'sanything wrong with diy, if one has the time/patience/skill.

Ahhhh, grasshopper .... slide switches on guitars are nothing new, at all (perhaps a lot of y'all are too young to remember the '60's/'70's?). Very few folks come here and speak positively of Epi electronics ..... oh, the switch needs to be replaced...oh, the jack, oh, the pups, oh the wiring, oh the tuners [rolleyes] And a certain someone wants to bleat on about how bad slide switches are on another guitar he's likely never laid hands on. Let's see, the BM switching system has worked for the Dr for, ummmm, over 45+ years, since he built the original. So what, the switches might wear out???? I'll replace them when they do -I ain't chicken little, getting a new guitar and thinking I need to "upgrade" the switch/tuners/jack/pups because I read it on a forum.

Sorry, "someone" got me way off topic and on a rant. To the op, I'd just invest in a decent set of replacement pups that are 4 wire, and not have to bother with the troubles of diy...... not that there'sanything wrong with diy, if one has the time/patience/skill.

That's probably why the USA military and NASA hardly ever uses a

slide switch. They both need reliable switches.

CHEEKS

That's probably why the USA military and NASA hardly ever uses a

slide switch. They both need reliable switches.

Yeah, and Fender hasn't blown up two 1.7 Billion dollar spacecraft. So, stop pretending that you know everything about everything.

Timidly steps up to the mocrophone to offer another possible suggestion:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar-105939029-i1515777.gc

Excellent guitar, upgraded pickups (in comparison to the Epiphone Les Paul Standard ... and already coil-split right out of the box!

Jim

P.S. - Cheeks, I think the slide switches in your head have oxidized! They are getting "intermittent contacts"... noisey and scratchy...

j.

Archived