Gibson Brands Forums

Inspiring Guitars

freak show

I've noticed that certain guitars are better for inspiring me to play something different than I normally play. I'm not exactly sure why, but it's much easier for me to come up with new chord progressions and play licks I have never played before on my LP Standard. The same is true of my D-18 acoustic. When I play these two, I just feel more creative...

Can anyone else relate? If so, which of your guitars does it for you?

I've noticed that certain guitars are better for inspiring me to play something different than I normally play. I'm not exactly sure why, but it's much easier for me to come up with new chord progressions and play licks I have never played before on my LP Standard. The same is true of my D-18 acoustic. When I play these two, I just feel more creative...

Can anyone else relate? If so, which of your guitars does it for you?

I can totally relate. Something about my 2001 Am Std Fender strat gets creative juices flowing more. I can't explain it. It has become the guitar most used for writing new stuff.

My jaguar puts me in a country picking mode (Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, etc)

I do most of my creating with my SG Jr.

When I'm in a slump or have writers block, I break out the Jr., the neck on it is like one with my hand and I am free to unleash myself.

Sometimes it takes playing a totally different guitar, every guitar has it's own persona and vibe to shape the mood.

I agree with cabba2203 - even if perhaps were a generation or two apart in age.

Each guitar I own seems to make me think and play somewhat differently.

Sure, I'm the same guy, with essentially the same technique off and on for longer than I like to admit in some ways, but... the 175 body gets something from me the SG body doesn't, and it pulls something from me the 175 doesn't; ditto the old ovation steel and nylon twin EAs.

We've yet to see how I get along with the new semi. But it, to, is a different sort of feel.

m

Archived