Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a Gibson SG -- Help Identifying?

Johnny Butt

Hey guys, check out my intro here:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/55457-buying-first-gibson/

As it says, and as this thread title states, I am looking into buying my first SG.

I have been doing some research, but don't know anywhere near as much as some members of this community might. I've attached some photos, but here is the info I have so far:

Serial # is: 01553313

According to dating techniques, this 8 Digit Serial # is pre-05, as indicated by the 1st and 5th digits (03)..

YDDDYPPP

YY is the production year ------- 03

DDD is the day of the year ------- 155

PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank. --- 313

I'm assuming this is the 313rd guitar stamped on this day?

Also, any help in identifying this as an authentic Gibson would help. I am going to pick it up after Monday (price is literally a steal) and want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

Here's some Photos...

gibson-sg1.jpg

gibson-sg2.jpg

gibson-sg3.jpg

gibson-sg4.jpg

Thanks again guys..

Haven't picked it up yet / paid, but his asking price is still way under the average Used price.

Thanks for the info, I'm trying to get more familiar with these models, that helps plan upgrades accordingly.

I'm starting small at first, locking tuners, possibly newer bridge or saddles, but I might eventually upgrade pickups.

What locking tuners would you recommend?

Haven't picked it up yet / paid, but his asking price is still way under the average Used price.

Thanks for the info, I'm trying to get more familiar with these models, that helps plan upgrades accordingly.

I'm starting small at first, locking tuners, possibly newer bridge or saddles, but I might eventually upgrade pickups.

That's great for you!! I had a faded sg and IMO, the tuners - same as on my std sg and my vos LP - are just fine. If you know how to mount your strings correctly it stays pretty much in tune.

If you really need upgrades, I would recommend Nickel plated TOM (locking tonepros - completely useful to keep your setup safe when changing strings) and/or aluminium stoptail. (except if you need more mass here for some balance purpose).

I would also suggest PIO capacitors (0.022µf/400V) and 500K CTS pots if you think your sounds is dull or muddy. And if you really don't like the sound stock pickups deliver, I would suggest Burstbuckers 1 & 2 pickups for ala vintage sparkler tone, or Seymour Duncan Antiquity for a warmer and more compressed vintage tone either.

And in the end, if it still sounds shi**y, I'd say upgrade your amp :)

that isn't a faded, thats a special. a gloss finish with no binding. those are about 1,000 dollars. and i wouldn't get locking tuners, because later on it will be more valuable with out them if you anted to sell it. or you could just keep the old tuners.

that isn't a faded, thats a special. a gloss finish with no binding. those are about 1,000 dollars. and i wouldn't get locking tuners, because later on it will be more valuable with out them if you anted to sell it. or you could just keep the old tuners.

er...

Please take a look at the wood grain.

gibson-sg2.jpg

Here is a glossy special:

30408_01_medium_2.jpg

I might be wrong. But to me the guitar pictured at #1 post does look like a faded.

<_<

that is NOT a gloss finish. It is definitely the "faded" finish with the wood grain showing. It may have been polished somewhat which can make it look shiny, but that much grain does not show through a glossy finish.

Could even be the use of Flash. Even the used couch looks shiney. [rolleyes]

Thanks for the info guys.

The current owner told me it was a Faded. But like I said, I don't know hardly anything about them. I did like how the wood grain was showing in the pictures though. My fender has a nitrocellulose finish, so I'm glad to hear this one will as well.

Thanks for the info guys.

The current owner told me it was a Faded. But like I said, I don't know hardly anything about them. I did like how the wood grain was showing in the pictures though. My fender has a nitrocellulose finish, so I'm glad to hear this one will as well.

My first genuine Gibson was a faded. It was (and still is I think) a good and inexpensive way to enter the Gibson world. Though the lacquer on faded series is different than the lacquer on std series and also different from Fender lacquer, it still lets the guitar plenty of breath, which is IMO, in a musical perspective, a crucial point.

Thanks a lot guys.

I'm stoked about going to look at this later next week, hopefully It will be what I purchase. I had considered an Epiphone G400 but I think I'd much rather have a real Gibson!

Also, the owner said this has a bone nut, is this true for this models? What is the advantage of that?

Thanks.

Thanks a lot guys.

I'm stoked about going to look at this later next week, hopefully It will be what I purchase. I had considered an Epiphone G400 but I think I'd much rather have a real Gibson!

Also, the owner said this has a bone nut, is this true for this models? What is the advantage of that?

Thanks.

check this:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special-Faded/Specs.aspx

It says corian. :)

Even if specs change from a year to another it's hard to believe Gibson used bone nuts on faded models.

Ask the seller if he made it change or if it had been changed.

About the bone nut advantages, it's commonly said that it gives more sustain than plastic, it's stronger, as easy to work on than plastic, but age nicer.

I've never heard about Corian material until now. [mellow]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corian

hey guys.

Just picked up this guitar.

$300 with gig bag. A few dings but nothing worse than what I will probably do to it anwyay.

We met at a music store so I could test it out and make sure all electronics worked. Action is excellent and I got the sound out of it I was looking for almost immediately.

I used it with an amplifier I am looking at picking up as a backup / compact practice amp (Mustang I, about $99). When I got home I hooked up to my Fender Super Champ tube amp and it sounded incredible. Definitely looking forward to playing around with this more and getting used to the punch of the humbuckers VS. my Fender's single coils.

I took a photo of the pickup height on this guitar...I don't know hardly anything about humbuckers but I thought the heights looked weird on this. It sounds great though, aside from the rhythm pickup requiring a little more volume to be heard well/evenly, but I was wondering if I should look into adjusting these?

sg-pickup-h.jpg

Thanks again for looking. I am going to clean her up later tonight and post new pictures soon.

First, congrats on your terrific deal!

About the bridge pickup: it's just the usual height. For some reason, the neck pickup sounds HUGE on a SG compared to the bridge one. So it's not surprising that it is set like that on yours. You can try to low it it's totally harmless (except if you're doing it with your feet) and make you're own setup, or leavve it like that if you like the pickups sound balance, as long as it doesn't bother your right hand playing or touch the strings.

hey guys.

Just picked up this guitar.

$300 with gig bag. A few dings but nothing worse than what I will probably do to it anwyay.

We met at a music store so I could test it out and make sure all electronics worked. Action is excellent and I got the sound out of it I was looking for almost immediately.

I used it with an amplifier I am looking at picking up as a backup / compact practice amp (Mustang I, about $99). When I got home I hooked up to my Fender Super Champ tube amp and it sounded incredible. Definitely looking forward to playing around with this more and getting used to the punch of the humbuckers VS. my Fender's single coils.

I took a photo of the pickup height on this guitar...I don't know hardly anything about humbuckers but I thought the heights looked weird on this. It sounds great though, aside from the rhythm pickup requiring a little more volume to be heard well/evenly, but I was wondering if I should look into adjusting these?

sg-pickup-h.jpg

Thanks again for looking. I am going to clean her up later tonight and post new pictures soon.

Raise the neck pickup by turning the screws on the pick guard clockwise that hold the pickup. You may want to also level the pole screws in the pickup with it's top. Once you bring the pickup closer to the strings it will add volume to it.

The pickups are set like that because the Neck isn't straight with the body, resulting in a angle, and since a SG is flat as opposed to a carved top, the strings are farther from the body at the bridge as opposwed to the neck, therefore to balance the pickups the bridge will stick out way more than the neck, sorry if you already new that

I had the guitar set up properly today and it's nice.

I was wondering though, I was planning on picking up a spare pickguard, pickups, as well as new pots for this eventually. I have some spare wire left over from an audio upgrade I did on my car. Would this work for my wiring? If not, what would you guys recommend?

Here's a link:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05797958000P?vName=Computers%20&%20Electronics&cName=ComputerAccessories&sName=Power%20&%20Cables&sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=05797958000P

It's pretty good quality wire I was just wondering if it was usable here.

Thanks.

Archived