Gibson Brands Forums

Natural topped Gibson goodness at the Sisters Folk Festival

Guth

Hey all,

Headed down to Sisters, Oregon with the family last weekend for the Sisters Folk Festival. All in all it was a good time — a beautiful setting, great weather, and some fantastic music. One of the highlights for me was seeing John Hammond perform. We also caught Geoff Muldaur and Jim Kweskin, Peter Mulvey, Slaid Cleaves, Betty Soo, and the Hot Club of Cowtown amongst others.

Slaid and Betty had their Gibsons with them and I thought you all might enjoy some pics. We've followed Slaid for more than a decade now and he has really honed his craft over the years. We used to be able to catch him for free around Austin many years ago and gladly pay to see him these days. I only recently learned of Betty Soo (from a video posted here on the forum). She's a wonderful talent, and a great person to boot. We're looking forward to catching her again the next time she swings through our neck of the woods.

Anyway, here are Slaid and Betty with their natural topped Gibsons.

All the best,

Guth

slaid_cleaves.jpgbetty_soo.jpg

Thanks Guth. I use to love Kweskin and Muldaur in their Jug Band days, along with Maria. Well, especially Maria. "Buy You a Chevrolet" was inspirational.

I'm sure the talent and versatility they had in the 60s has grown exponentially. Certainly their taste in guitars has. I'm exspecially fond of natural tops, though I know sunbursts are de riguer.

Hey Guth-- was sufficiently inspired to check out Slaid Cleaves. There is a tastey little story on his blog, The Perfect Gig. Man can write. Thanks for the tip.

I've read that piece, it's a good one. He actually grew up in your neck of the woods. We first heard of him when visiting family there in Maine.

All the best,

Guth

Archived