Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of this LP?

heymisterk

Still looking for "my" Les Paul Standard, and so far, everyone has been very kind in offering advice for my first one. Am still wanting to pick the right one.

I really like this one. I guess you could say it kinda speaks to me...?

There are a couple of things I like, and a couple of things I don't. First, I LOVE the top...not flamed, which I think in this kind of finish makes it look very classy. I also like that it has Grover tuners.

Two things I am not crazy about: First, the weight, which the guitar shop told me clocks in at 10.2(!) pounds. Also, the 'buckers will have to go. I had that pair on my SG Standard years ago and did not like them.

I get that a guitar is a personal thing, but I am not above asking for input from you all!

Best!

Jeff

Nice lookin' STD.

The buckers can be dealt with, but not the weight - you're gonna be stuck with it. It's an auction, so how much are you willing to go on the price?

Great question. That is one of those questions that I decide on the fly! I am kinda hoping that I can snag it for under $1,600...

Thanks Big!

Honestly, I prefer the Les Paul Traditional Pro model. You can get that guitar in the same exact finish and get it brand new for $300 more... You should check them out. I don't know if I got extremely lucky with mine but mine has the most incredible sustain and tone. Notes ring out forever on mine. No lie, me and my buddy compared guitars sustain. He had a les paul standard and was running his guitar through a MXR dyna comp compressor pedal and my guitar still sustained for a second or two longer without running through any pedal.

One other thing that I think are great with the traditional pro is that they are set up at the factory using a PLEK machine which perfectly lines up all the frets so you are guaranteed to get no fret buzz or no fretting out. I just think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't try one. I have 7 electric guitars and they're good guitars (USA Strat, 2 USA teles, Gibson custom shop DC, Gibson ES-333) and my traditional pro by FAR has the best tone, playability and sustain.

Honestly, I prefer the Les Paul Traditional Pro model. You can get that guitar in the same exact finish and get it brand new for $300 more... You should check them out. I don't know if I got extremely lucky with mine but mine has the most incredible sustain and tone. Notes ring out forever on mine. No lie, me and my buddy compared guitars sustain. He had a les paul standard and was running his guitar through a MXR dyna comp compressor pedal and my guitar still sustained for a second or two longer without running through any pedal.

One other thing that I think are great with the traditional pro is that they are set up at the factory using a PLEK machine which perfectly lines up all the frets so you are guaranteed to get no fret buzz or no fretting out. I just think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't try one. I have 7 electric guitars and they're good guitars (USA Strat, 2 USA teles, Gibson custom shop DC, Gibson ES-333) and my traditional pro by FAR has the best tone, playability and sustain.

I really like the LP Traditional except for two things: One, the push/pull knobs. Next, I prefer the look of the LP without the pickguard. That being said, I will keep them in my search.

Actually, what does the push/pull system do? Single-coil sounds?

Yeah, it's just one knob... If you pull it up you get a really authentic sounding single coil sound. It's not difficult to get used to either. I like to pull the knob up and use the single coil sound for rhythm and then push it down when it's time for lead and solos and go to town with the fat les paul sound

That is a great deal and a steel at the opening price... No bidders yet and only one day let til the end of the auction... Make a bid for $1500... If no one else bids you made out like a bandit!!! Ask all your questions first, get creative.... The way the economy is now you just might be the only bidder and that is a sweet LP

That is a great deal and a steel at the opening price... No bidders yet and only one day let til the end of the auction... Make a bid for $1500... If no one else bids you made out like a bandit!!! Ask all your questions first, get creative.... The way the economy is now you just might be the only bidder and that is a sweet LP

As usual, you all have come through for me. I am going to see how I feel in the next couple hours and then probably make a bid. Thanks, Dave. Dk, the Traditional has me intrigued...

This instrument is a 2001 and has the 498T/490R Pickups in it, as burstbuckers were not introduced until the late 01 beginning of the 02 production year.

I pasted this from the Ebay listing. If I'm reading it right, this is bologna. I have a 97 Studio with these pickups. I like'm, by the way.

Pickup swap is easy enough if needed.

Don't rush to swap them though.

SG and Les Paul behave very differently with the same pickup, as does the 335.

This I know for a fact.

I like the weight, but if it bothers you then the only help is a wide leather strap.

Beyond that, it's S.O.L.

I like the weight, but if it bothers you then the only help is a wide leather strap.

Beyond that, it's S.O.L.

Also remember the higher the guitar stays the better it is for the back, no matter how cool it looks with the guitar hanging at crotch level.

Just looked to see if that guitar sold... The economy really sucks because the auction ended and no one even bid. Someone could have owned a nice vintage burst Standard for $1500. That's the price of a used classic.... Damn

That IS a nice looking guitar. I guess heymisterk decided not to bid.

...Next, I prefer the look of the LP without the pickguard...

I came to this thread a bit late...sorry!

heymisterk; I hope you don't mind my raising this but there's a little point to consider here.

Have you tried out playing LPs both when the p/g is fitted and also when it has been removed?

If not I suggest you try both options as there could be, depending on your right-hand playing style, a big difference in comfort level.

I notice from your avatar you are an SG player. On the SG the p/g is just below the level of the strings. Because of the top-carve the strings on the LP are relatively high over the body. I (and many others) use the p/g as a finger-rest for some passages / styles of play and the lack of a p/g is a considerable hindrance.

Just something to ponder.

Good luck in your pursuit of 'your' LP.

Have you tried out playing LPs both when the p/g is fitted and also when it has been removed?

If not I suggest you try both options as there could be, depending on your right-hand playing style, a big difference in comfort level.

That's interesting. I can't say I've ever noticed any difference in playing comfort with the pickguard on or off, but I very much prefer the look with them off. Must have a different technique to you Pippy?

That's interesting. I can't say I've ever noticed any difference in playing comfort with the pickguard on or off, but I very much prefer the look with them off. Must have a different technique to you Pippy?

I wasn't taught the 'proper' way so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if your technique is very different from mine!

It depends on what I'm playing, of course, but for some tracks up to 50% of the time I have at least my little finger resting on the p/g. Sometimes - when playing Freddy King-style rumbling rhythm boogie for instance - I have the last three fingers resting, anchor-like, whilst the thumb and forefinger get on with the job in hand (no pun intended...).

At the moment my weapon of choice is a '93 Historic Division R9 that came along last week and it has never had a p/g fitted. I'm going to have to get one as I can't get my usual hand position; this I find rather irksome.

Archived