Gibson Brands Forums

TonePros "Kluson" tuner up-grade (TPKB3-N)

RASHARU

As you may remember from a few posts back, I was considering many different tuner options to simply improve the "aesthetics" of my J-45 Custom. My particular guitar came new with the supposed "hand-engraved" gold bean shaped tuner buttons (on large gold Grover Rotomatics). I never thought that these tuners looked right on this style of guitar. I experimented with several different styles of replacement buttons (pearloid, gold, ivoroid, ebony) & I finally decided on some tulip shaped gold Grover Keystones .. with considerable input from many of you, I might add (thanks!).

Well, today I finally took the plunge & installed a set of the TonePro Kluson Deluxe tuners in vintage nickel (TPKB3-N). This is the set with the larger sized threaded bushings to fit the modern larger headstock holes. I must say that these tuners fit (and operate) like a dream. I couldn't be happier with them. Yes, it was indeed a sickening feeling to drill (6) additional screw holes in the back of my headstock .. but strangely enough, each hole got a little easier to stomach as I went along. [scared]

I'm posting this info just to let everyone know that this upgrade project was fairly easy & in-expensive, not to mention a major improvement to the looks of my guitar. The washers under the threaded bushings were an exact size match to the original Grovers so there were no visible "rings" left in the clearcoat. I would suggest this upgrade to anyone looking to gain a more "vintage" or "Gibby correct" look. I've attached a couple of photos to show the comparison.

GOLDGROVERS.jpg

GibbyKlusonsFront.jpg

Man, I'd need threapy to drill on a beauty like that.

Yeah. I'd been considering selling this guitar but I finally decided to just "make it my own" instead. I know it's usually a TERRIBLE idea to fix things that ain't broke (ie: the Grovers) but I just wasn't diggin' the factory style. I put a K&K Pure Mini in it too while I had the strings off. It should be interesting to hear how that worked out sometime later today when I plug 'er up. [-o<

Nice! Can you post a picture of the back side view?

The bottom screw hole of each new tuner block lined up perfectly with the original Grover holes. I simply had to drill a pilot hole for each of the top screws (I did this AFTER I had totally mounted everything else.. including the threaded bushings on the front). I figured this method would help prevent any crooked tuners. Hope this info helps.

GibbyKlusonsRear.jpg

The bottom screw hole of each new tuner block lined up perfectly with the original Grover holes. I simply had to drill a pilot hole for each of the top screws (I did this AFTER I had totally mounted everything else.. including the threaded bushings on the front). I figured this method would help prevent any crooked tuners. Hope this info helps.

GibbyKlusonsRear.jpg

OK, cool. I was wondering how you oriented them. Nice that the existing holes did that for you..

OK, cool. I was wondering how you oriented them. Nice that the existing holes did that for you..

Well .. that's sort of true. Gibby definitely didn't do a fantastic job with their original tuner alignment so I kind of "manipulated" the final placement with that second (new) screw hole position. There's actually a tiny bit of wiggle room if needed. I hope that makes sense. You just have to take your time & trust your eye.

After playing around with this guitar for a few days now, I have to say that I can tell a distinct difference in the "headstock weight" .. which I never thought would actually make any noticeable difference, to be honest. This tuner upgrade has apparently changed the "feel" of my guitar in addition to the cool look of the keystones. Strange, huh?!

Archived