Gibson Brands Forums

Female Singers

Rocky4

I know some will throw E-rocks at me for this but once you get beyond her political rants Barbra Streisand has a set of pipes that are amazing!

I'll take some E-rocks, too, then, because the lady can definitely sing!

I severely dislike her political point of view, but this is about singing. She has what it takes in that department.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All kidding aside, I think there have been, and are, many excellent girl singers. Laugh at this one if you will, but I've never heard Lady Gaga - so I s'pose I'd best do so.

But I think there are two kinds of girl singers in a way, divided perhaps somewhat more than male singers. There are those who have a "sound" like Janis Joplin or Carole King or Julie London, and then there are those who can, and do significantly change much of the vocal qualities depending on the piece.

Just a thought.

m

All kidding aside, I think there have been, and are, many excellent girl singers. Laugh at this one if you will, but I've never heard Lady Gaga - so I s'pose I'd best do so.

But I think there are two kinds of girl singers in a way, divided perhaps somewhat more than male singers. There are those who have a "sound" like Janis Joplin or Carole King or Julie London, and then there are those who can, and do significantly change much of the vocal qualities depending on the piece.

Just a thought.

m

You'll be OK avoiding Lady Gaga. Electronics are her crutch, and video is her claim to fame. She doesn't even look good, and her sound is computer generated.

Jax...

I started with "Troubled in Mind," albeit a bit more of a "1920-ish" variation, back in '63. Great song that takes on a different feel as different artists interpret it. That's not a "cover," but rather an interpretation.

I'll never forget the gal who sang it first time I heard it - around a campfire... Ah, youth, such a wonderful thing to be wasted on the young. <chortle> She's likely a great grandma who hasn't sung in public in years.

But... Maria M is an example of a girl whose voice can improve over the years. Suzy Bogguss is another great voice never off pitch... But there are so many, many great talents out there that it seems fashion and a bit of luck is more of a factor in being "known" than any other factor.

m

Milrod;

This one is for you! Mary Osborne wasn't a singer, but she was the pride of Minot! A student of Wes Montgomery, she was one hot gitar picker! She recorded with many big bands of the 50's and 60's and just doesn't get any credit for being (IMO) one of the great ground breaking ladies of guitar;

The first clip is a short one,

This is from a record she released in the 60's;

Or there's the late Karen Dalton...

Or "how sweet it is to be loved by you" that starts at about 3:20 below. I keep thinking the timing is better than other versions I've heard. The first piece on there has some jazz/blues fiddle too...

These arrangements have some very interesting guitar material when you figure just how old they are - and in a sense, the style was technically old-fashioned even in the 60s. I tend to refer to it as a bit decadent in arrangement style.

I think she's THE pre-Joplin Joplin, but with better phrasing and control. Most "fans" will note she used her voice like a saxophone... You can almost forget the words...

m

Archived