Gibson Brands Forums

Tribute 50's Gold top

abbeyrod

I've read on another forum a post by someone saying the Tribute 50's finish wasn't real gold top but kind of enamel that obliged gibson to use other kind of finish than nitro.

for all those who already have one tribute 50's gold top, how is it going so far?

do you have finishes problems?

does the top come off, does it crack?

could some of you post good pictures of the tops as it is after a few weeks/months of use?

Regards

I've read on another forum a post by someone saying the Tribute 50's finish wasn't real gold top but kind of enamel that obliged gibson to use other kind of finish than nitro.

for all those who already have one tribute 50's gold top, how is it going so far?

do you have finishes problems?

does the top come off, does it crack?

could some of you post good pictures of the tops as it is after a few weeks/months of use?

Regards

For the record, the thread I think you are referring to is on MLPF, and the post is currently near the end of that long multi-page thread. The OP is not saying he had problems with the finish per se. He is saying he had a professional spray a coat of clear Nitro over the factory finish (I presume he was going for a fully finished gloss look?). And claims that the factory finish reacted with the Nitro because it was in fact enamel, not lacquer (Nitrocellulose is a lacquer and cannot be applied over enamel). True or not? I don't really know. I do know that I called Gibson Customer Service, and they refuted the claim. They tell me the GT is the same Nitro finish process used on all of their faded finishes. They say anyone is free to call them and will get the same "official" response (I asked if it would be possible to get that in writing, they understandably declined, after all, then anyone questioning anything might try to get them to do the same, and they are not going to spend their resources answering to countless accusations/rumors).

This one is interesting though. The OP there swears that they are lying. Being in Nashville, he also claims to have sources inside Gibson who confirm this (but if he knew it, why did he try to finish over it without stripping?). Says he cannot name his sources, or people would get fired (an understandable position if true, but OTOH, very convenient if not). Tough call. Seems like there must be a way to verify one way or the other without sacrificing a guitar (which I certainly am not willing to do).

I know I am quite happy with mine. But I would like to know for certain what the GT finish is made of. Won't detract from my enjoyment of the guitar if it's an enamel, but I'd just like to know for certain. You know?

ETA: You may want to read the posts. Don't suppose a link is proper, but it's the thread titled "Must ,,,, have ,,,, new ,,,,, Gold ,,,,,,, Top !!!!!!!!!!!" and the initial accusation is on page 29 of what is currently a 30 page thread. And the thread is (at the moment) on page two of the index.

I haven't had any issues with my month-old GT's finish. Also, the guy I bought it from at Sam Ash owned an old Gold Top--'62 if I remember correctly--and said he was amazed at how closely the look of the 50's Tribute GT resembled the genuinely aged finish on his guitar.

From the page for this guitar on the Gibson site:

"A grain-textured satin finish with 30-sheen lacquer gives the Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute a pre-worn look that enhances its vintage image, and offers a smooth, comfortable playing feel."

Also:

"The Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute is hand-finished in nitrocellulose in a process that is carefully monitored to ensure minimum build-up, in an effort to produce a finish that breathes with the guitar and enhances natural resonance, and the final coat is hand-rubbed with a flattening agent to enhance its aged appearance."

My "Gold Top," is only a week old, so I cannot say what it's long term "life" will be like.

The one thing "I" noticed, was that the "new Gibson guitar" oder, was different, than all my

other Gibson's (when they were new) had been. This one smells strongly, of standard "paint

shop," still. I supposed it was because it's still barely dry, in terms of how long it takes

"Nitro" to dry/cure, fully. Plus, the fact that all my other Gibson's (save my "Faded" double

cut, LP special) are Gloss finished, and there for Polished, several times, prior to shipment.

The "new guitar oder," on them, was no doubt, due to the polish being used, and not the paint.

The finish on these '50's Tributes is minimal, by comparison. So, of course they'll wear more,

as such.

However, my "Gold Top," is a Tone Monster, and has a playability, that's second to none, of my

other, and vastly more expensive Gibson's. The top looks great, so far. How it will "wear,"

remains to be seen. But, I didn't buy it, to hang it up and look at it...it will be played hard,

and often. That alone, should make it take on the appearance, and beauty, of a much older instrument.

The best Relicing is done, playing the guitar.

CB

So for both of you, nothing to worry about concerning my futur GT.

It's so hard to wait for it withut knowing when i will receive it..

so when you read things like this, you wonder if it wouldn't be better to cancel my order.

Well, up to you, but I certainly wouldn't be canceling (and I've had mine for longer than most). Also should be noted, of the post that states it is enamel and not lacquer, he didn't mention having any problem with his initially either. He only had a problem when he had someone spray a coat of clear Nitro over it, and it reacted poorly. If not modified, I've not read of one single issue with the finish. If you do decide to cancel, I'm sure someone else will be very happy about that [wink].

My "Gold Top," is only a week old, so I cannot say what it's long term "life" will be like.

The one thing "I" noticed, was that the "new Gibson guitar" oder, was different, than all my

other Gibson's (when they were new) had been. This one smells strongly, of standard "paint

shop," still. I supposed it was because it's still barely dry, in terms of how long it takes

"Nitro" to dry/cure, fully. Plus, the fact that all my other Gibson's (save my "Faded" double

cut, LP special) are Gloss finished, and there for Polished, several times, prior to shipment.

The "new guitar oder," on them, was no doubt, due to the polish being used, and not the paint.

The finish on these '50's Tributes is minimal, by comparison. So, of course they'll wear more,

as such.

However, my "Gold Top," is a Tone Monster, and has a playability, that's second to none, of my

other, and vastly more expensive Gibson's. The top looks great, so far. How it will "wear,"

remains to be seen. But, I didn't buy it, to hang it up and look at it...it will be played hard,

and often. That alone, should make it take on the appearance, and beauty, of a much older instrument.

The best Relicing is done, playing the guitar.

CB

Interesting you note about the smell. Mine had no noticeable smell. But one other Poster over at MLPF says he's a painting contractor and says his did smell of enamel. Hmm... (again, don't care if mine IS enamel, but I WOULD like to KNOW one way or the other).

Well, up to you, but I certainly wouldn't be canceling (and I've had mine for longer than most). Also should be noted, of the post that states it is enamel and not lacquer, he didn't mention having any problem with his initially either. He only had a problem when he had someone spray a coat of clear Nitro over it, and it reacted poorly. If not modified, I've not read of one single issue with the finish. If you do decide to cancel, I'm sure someone else will be very happy about that [wink].

Interesting you note about the smell. Mine had no noticeable smell. But one other Poster over at MLPF says he's a painting contractor and says his did smell of enamel. Hmm... (again, don't care if mine IS enamel, but I WOULD like to KNOW one way or the other).

Understood....it would be nice to know. Since Gibson does change spec's at their discretion, and to

the peril of their advertising, at times ('50's Tribute first advertised as having a 2-piece back, and

we've (now) seen them, with up to 5 piece backs)...I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what's advertised,

as a selling point. One good point, IF they are "enamel" Gold...it's much easier to find, should one

need to touch up, or (God forbid) re-paint the top...than the old style "Nitro" Gold, they use on the

CS R6, or the vintage guitars. And...it still looks great, none the less. But yeah, it would be nice

to really Know, one way or the other.

CB

All I do know about all that,is, my C Burst STILL smells " brand new "..

It has not been in a case at all yet. I figured I'd sell you all my pennies worth, not my 2 cents.....msp_tongue.gif

Just to be clear, the only finish anyone is alleging is enamel is the GT. The others are most certainly all Nitro finish. According to him, something about the Gold Top finish won't work in the method they are doing these. Still he seems to have proven it to himself, but I see no further non-destructive way to prove it. Certainly not letting anyone scrape paint off mine for analysis, and I have no desire or need to add a clear coat over the top. Down the road, I may end up buying an R6, but for now, I've got a Gibson Gold Top with P 90's. And I just had it sounding all nasty and crunchy at low volume on 1/4 watt through my new Vox AC4 TV. Life is good. [thumbup]

I've had my GT for about a month now, since 8/31. So far, no problems with and been extremely happy with the 50s tribute. Been playing it more than my two newly purchased Gibson Les Paul Customs, a vintage early 70s Norlin and a 2007 NOS. Got those babies back in the case, but sitll playing my 50s Tribute. I love this guitar, and can't put it down.

The finish on my gold top is perfect, but the sides in the "waist" and end of the guitar were poorly sanded and feel as though they were rushed and not checked before sending them out the door. I have built a few guitars myself and getting that end grain baby smooth requires a lot of elbow grease. This feels as though they put the finish on, causing the mahogany to bloom and they forgot to do the finish sanding after the finish had dried. What is confusing to me is how it could have made it out the door that way. Cosmetically it looks perfect, but it is quite rough to the touch. I have noodled taking some steel wool to it to try to smooth it out, but I don't know what kind of finish they used on it so I am a little leery about taking that chance.

... The finish on my gold top is perfect, but the sides in the "waist" and end of the guitar were poorly sanded and feel as though they were rushed and not checked before sending them out the door. ...

Just my 2¢ - The 50sT GT supposed to be "worn" or "faded". There have been other people who bought worn/faded finishes and then got on the forum to rant about a bad finish. Buy a gloss/new finish if you want to expect perfect, not worn/faded - they go out the door purposely with imperfections.

Just my 2¢ - The 50sT GT supposed to be "worn" or "faded". There have been other people who bought worn/faded finishes and then got on the forum to rant about a bad finish. Buy a gloss/new finish if you want to expect perfect, not worn/faded - they go out the door purposely with imperfections.

Worn or faded is one thing , rough areas that need sanding but never were or grooves in the wood from not using fine sandpaper is another , it's just lazy and careless .

Archived