Gibson Brands Forums

authentic gibson

punxnskins

Not without snaps (and preferably good quality ones at that, please).

The areas we need to see are;

Peghead; fret-ends; cut-away horn; fret-board wood; bridge-pins; toggle-switch; truss-rod cover. As many of these as you can but the peghead and fret-ends are the most tell-tale.

The Zakk Wylde green camo Custom is just about the most often copied Les Paul out there.

The serial number is probably no indicator as the counterfeiters have wised-up to a certain extent. It may check out with the guitar-dater project (as, indeed, it does) but still be a fake.

Not without snaps (and preferably good quality ones at that, please).

The areas we need to see are;

Peghead; fret-ends; cut-away horn; fret-board wood; bridge-pins; toggle-switch; truss-rod cover. As many of these as you can but the peghead and fret-ends are the most tell-tale.

The Zakk Wylde green camo Custom is just about the most often copied Les Paul out there.

The serial number is probably no indicator as the counterfeiters have wised-up to a certain extent. It may check out with the guitar-dater project (as, indeed, it does) but still be a fake.

Do what pippy says. He is wise in the ways of finding fake Gibsons. Especially fake Les Pauls. msp_cool.gif

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

July 19th, 2005

Production Number: 259

Maybe.

As mentioned by Pippy - a "valid" serial number has nothing to do with whether the guitar is fake or real.

No one has seen pics yet.

BTW, welcome - and please, to avoid confusion, be careful with what you post to fake inquiries.

i want to check the authenticity of my gibson les paul ...

Welcome.

And we're waiting for some pics.

Eight digit serial numbers on Gibson solid body electrics beginning with 02005*** is a recurring

fake serial number. Watch out for those numbers. Zakk Wylde serial numbers start with his initials.

True, Jocko, but at the same time, despite them knowing what's wrong it's difficult to make an accurate reproduction without (generally) obvious flaws, if it was easy everyone would be making knock offs. The real downside is the online shopping and people trying to get the "too good to be true deal" when they don't even get to hold the guitar before getting it.

Although some people are ok with knock-offs, it's always going to be a business, as long as you're happy with what you've got there's not much else that can be done, (sadly).

Also many use this place as a testing ground for their counterfeit guitars; then we stupidly tell them whats wrong and the counterfeiter goes back and corrects his/her mistakes. I believe we can say if it is or not but pointing out specifics is just wrong; but thats just my thoughts on this subject. I have come to this conclusion after many years of watching these counterfeit guitars go from laughable to damn near dead on (some but not all). ...

Counterfeiting is a perfectly acceptable topic for discussion, as well as what to look for when judging authenticity.

Acquire a product, copy it well = not caught.

That's been the equation for hundreds of years, no matter the product copied and I just don't see studying product forums in that equation. The worst copies are easy to spot, the best copies don't get caught. Eventually the worst copiers are all caught. If Gibson or any other manufacturer thought otherwise, they would ban these types of forum threads. Gibson currently believes in educating its customers and potential buyers -

2007 Gibson spells it out - http://www.gearwire.com/gibson-counterfeit-guitars.html

2007 - http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/

2009 - http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/counterfeit-guitar-bust-708/

Also many use this place as a testing ground for their counterfeit guitars; then we stupidly tell them whats wrong and the counterfeiter goes back and corrects his/her mistakes. I believe we can say if it is or not but pointing out specifics is just wrong; but thats just my thoughts on this subject. I have come to this conclusion after many years of watching these counterfeit guitars go from laughable to damn near dead on (some but not all). A huge indicator is a brand new user, and the very first post " hey is this real".

If Gibson employees don't see an issue, why should you? They post how to spot a fake on their website and even posted in this thread.

If I tell you your guitar is fake, would you believe me without telling you why it's fake?

Archived