Gibson Brands Forums

BIG FIND in the collection!

goldsworthy

LOL! I also wanted to let any members of the Forum here know that if you live in Wisconsin and are looking at buying any guitar's let me know. I will deal in person. I wish I could sell on the Forum but I haven't been around long enough to do so. but I can meet in person guitar in hand for any transactions. Wholesale prices!

Please take the time to do a little research before unloading these guitars. (Unloading sounds like such a dirty word in this context) Its fine to give someone a good deal but don't allow yourself to be ripped off.

What can I say...I'm an honest guy.

Dave

LOL! I also wanted to let any members of the Forum here know that if you live in Wisconsin and are looking at buying any guitar's let me know. I will deal in person. I wish I could sell on the Forum but I haven't been around long enough to do so. but I can meet in person guitar in hand for any transactions. Wholesale prices!

I'd give you three hundred, I'd even drive to wisconsin [lol]

But that guitar should still be an easy 2 to 3 grand. Awesome instrument, I'm truly jealous.

I'd give you three hundred, I'd even drive to wisconsin [lol]

But that guitar should still be an easy 2 to 3 grand. Awesome instrument, I'm truly jealous.

Its too bad I cant have fun with the collection myself. I probably would break them!. The collection of Gutars hasn't been played now in over 5 years! Such a waist!

Its too bad I cant have fun with the collection myself. I probably would break them!. The collection of Gutars hasn't been played now in over 5 years! Such a waist!

I agree! It is a waste!

The best suggestion I could possible give you is to keep them all (except for one real nice one to give to me msp_flapper.gif) and take up guitar. Just think, if you became a guitarist you would never have to worry about wanting another guitar because you have 174 of them! msp_thumbup.gif

I agree! It is a waste!

The best suggestion I could possible give you is to keep them all (except for one real nice one to give to me msp_flapper.gif) and take up guitar. Just think, if you became a guitarist you would never have to worry about wanting another guitar because you have 174 of them! msp_thumbup.gif

SUCH LODGIC IS HARD TO IGNORE!

I agree with davidl; I wouldn't rush to "unload" these fine guitars. If your intent is to sell them, I would get some appraisals from reputable sources familiar with Gibson's to ensure you get a "fair" price. There's a wealth of knowledge by the Gibson folks that monitor the forum on a regular basis if you have questions. I recommend getting familiar with the Gibson forum so that you post questions in the proper sites.

I'm in WI too; wish I had some spare cash for one! Good luck!

This is one of my reoccurring nightmares since the wife is younger - I die and she gets remarried to somebody that doesn't play but is just some schmuck that comes along and scores cash from selling off 30 years of collecting and playing guitars.

My wife says not to worry for two big reasons

1. she say's she would never marry somebody that doesn't play she would miss the serenades and the songwriting to much

and the main reason she guarantee's it will never happen

2. She says that she knows what my guitars are worth so she'll make the cash herself since she doesn't need a man to sell my guitars when I croak.

This is one of my reoccurring nightmares since the wife is younger - I die and she gets remarried to somebody that doesn't play but is just some schmuck that comes along and scores cash from selling off 30 years of collecting and playing guitars.

1. she say's she would never marry somebody that doesn't play she would miss the serenades and the songwriting to much

2. She says that she knows what my guitars are worth so she'll make the cash herself since she doesn't need a man to sell my guitars when I croak.

That is a good wife! msp_thumbup.gif

I may be a schmuck but I am a rich one (NOW). LOL Anyway, my wife and I do not have interest in playing the guitar both my wife and I figured the proceeds would be better used in the bank. (we have no kids to leave them too). Don't you think a unused guitar deserves a good home? We have been selling through Gruhn guitars down south. They appraise and sell for us. They do take a hefty commission but I believe they are fair. You know what they say, "you cant take it with you"

Yep you might be a schmuck I don't know you so ??? but I think you proved my point pretty well with your response. and I'll throw out a just a few comments since you decided to play this out in public.

First nope your money won't do better in a bank or stocks or anything else right now so what your actually doing is selling a nice collection that would age in value and your selling at a loss in a down economy with guitar prices lower than they have been in several years and your paying high commission cost to do it so you put the money in a bank and then you can earn less than 1% in bank interest that you will be taxed on combined right now with risky banks that will only protect your money up to 100k under the current federal rules rules. So if your rich now as you say you are great but your probably getting somewhere between half or maybe even 2/3 of the real value by selling now.

Second- Don't make it sound out of a love for music or fine instruments and pretend that your doing this because guitars should be played and not just stored in a room - if that was truly the driving factor in your case then there are dozens of great charities that could put those fine instruments into the hands of amazing young artists who really need them.

We are not all young kids here I myself am a 50 year old recently retired man I currently own somewhere just short of 100 high end guitars right now, as I have been selling some over the last few years and I love them and play them often and I will sell and even buy many more when the market levels out again.

My original post wasn't even poking fun at you just making a comment that I wouldn't want my extensive and valuable collection being sold off by some 7.00 hr blue collar guy who got lucky and got my wife after I'm dead and gone (the description of you was one you gave in a earlier post) . So I truly will donate all my guitars to a musical charity when I die and If it's sudden my wife will make the donation and happily because she doesn't need to worry about finances unless she somehow becomes immortal. And as to leaving them to my 22 yr old daughter trust me she has already stolen most of what she wants and she'll have the rest of what she wants well before I die.

so I'm sure your a nice guy I hope you and the new wife have a great life I just have a better plan for my beloved guitars.

Yep you might be a schmuck I don't know you so ??? but I think you proved my point pretty well with your response. and I'll throw out a just a few comments since you decided to play this out in public.

First nope your money won't do better in a bank or stocks or anything else right now so what your actually doing is selling a nice collection that would age in value and your selling at a loss in a down economy with guitar prices lower than they have been in several years and your paying high commission cost to do it so you put the money in a bank and then you can earn less than 1% in bank interest that you will be taxed on combined right now with risky banks that will only protect your money up to 100k under the current federal rules rules. So if your rich now as you say you are great but your probably getting somewhere between half or maybe even 2/3 of the real value by selling now.

Second- Don't make it sound out of a love for music or fine instruments and pretend that your doing this because guitars should be played and not just stored in a room - if that was truly the driving factor in your case then there are dozens of great charities that could put those fine instruments into the hands of amazing young artists who really need them.

We are not all young kids here I myself am a 50 year old recently retired man I currently own somewhere just short of 100 high end guitars right now, as I have been selling some over the last few years and I love them and play them often and I will sell and even buy many more when the market levels out again.

My original post wasn't even poking fun at you just making a comment that I wouldn't want my extensive and valuable collection being sold off by some 7.00 hr blue collar guy who got lucky and got my wife after I'm dead and gone (the description of you was one you gave in a earlier post) . So I truly will donate all my guitars to a musical charity when I die and If it's sudden my wife will make the donation and happily because she doesn't need to worry about finances unless she somehow becomes immortal. And as to leaving them to my 22 yr old daughter trust me she has already stolen most of what she wants and she'll have the rest of what she wants well before I die.

so I'm sure your a nice guy I hope you and the new wife have a great life I just have a better plan for my beloved guitars.

(All good points!) However, in this economy cash is king! Both my wife and I do like music we just don't make the music we have no talent in that area. We do donate large sums of cash to our LOCAL food bank so we do meet our social duties. Just like you we could retire without trouble at this time but at our age 50s we both still work full time. Although the guitars are nice to look at we just don't have interest in keeping them (my wife's decision). People collect all kinds of things that interest them collecting is a fun hobby. The guitar prices may be down at this time as you state but the prices my wife receives for them is far more then was paid for them (we have the paperwork from when they were bought) Your opinion is a valued one and comes from your heart this we see. We once again wish to thank all here for your advice in this matter!

I'd be worried that if I donated my guitars, (I don't have anywhere near 100, but what I have are nice), they'd STILL get sold off for $ and maybe used for some program I would not agree with, and wouldn't donate to if I were still alive.

I plan on leaving ALL my stuff to my grandkids. If they turn out to be schmucks, then it's partially my fault anyway. I HOPE one of two fo them is musical, I know I'll do my best to make it that way.

(All good points!) However, in this economy cash is king! Both my wife and I do like music we just don't make the music we have no talent in that area. We do donate large sums of cash to our LOCAL food bank so we do meet our social duties. Just like you we could retire without trouble at this time but at our age 50s we both still work full time. Although the guitars are nice to look at we just don't have interest in keeping them (my wife's decision). People collect all kinds of things that interest them collecting is a fun hobby. The guitar prices may be down at this time as you state but the prices my wife receives for them is far more then was paid for them (we have the paperwork from when they were bought) Your opinion is a valued one and comes from your heart this we see. We once again wish to thank all here for your advice in this matter!

Cash is king, and with the value of the dollar and the size of our national debt you could also say;

The king has no clothes.

Unless you mean Johnny Cash is king,,,,

I'd be worried that if I donated my guitars, (I don't have anywhere near 100, but what I have are nice), they'd STILL get sold off for $ and maybe used for some program I would not agree with, and wouldn't donate to if I were still alive.

I plan on leaving ALL my stuff to my grandkids. If they turn out to be schmucks, then it's partially my fault anyway. I HOPE one of two fo them is musical, I know I'll do my best to make it that way.

I like your thinking DR. [thumbup]

Archived