Gibson Brands Forums

It's chilly where I am...

craigh

Some of you cats make me laugh. Shoveling snow and Great Lakes winters build character. Haven't you ever listened to any Garrison Keillor?

Speaking of that, got a new winter coat this past weekend: down lined with water proof shell. [thumbup] Chicago winter? Lake effect snow? BRING IT ON!

I wear shorts til the snow goes over the tops of my shoes. then I wear long pants... man up

I just tell all my northern friends not to die in Winter or I won't come to their funerals.

On the other hand, I seem to own more sweaters for someone who lives in Miami, about 15 at last count. They come in handy when the temps get down into the 50's... I can't imagine how miserable I'd be in a Chicago or a Detroit winter.

It's not all that bad where I live now. I've not seen it get below -30F here and elsewhere I've lived it's been -40 F not counting wind chill. Many places in northern North America it will get a lot colder, and that does not count wind chill, either.

But... Yeah, the UP of Michigan is downright chilly. At my house I had our first frost on the Jeep this morning.

All kidding aside, after having lived in Memphis 8 years, I'd say that the major advantage to a colder climate here is that it's harder on various insects and arachnids and as a result, there aren't so many.

But yeah, shoveling snow isn't one of my favorite tasks. And people die in blizzards and just in cold weather. On the other hand, you can die of "exposure" in a damp sort of temperature at 50F. You just don't get frostbite or freeze solid after death.

The nasty weather is kinda hard on guitars.

BTW, folks in the UK and elsewhere other than the US: The US still pretty much still uses the Fahrenheit scale rather than Celsius. Your zero degree temperature is our +32 - which is still pretty mild. Our zero is your -17C and is very common here. Our -30F is your -34C and that's unfortunately not at all uncommon in the northern third of the U.S. and for most Canadians.

m

UT!

Can't say I'll be sad to see him go. He did a lot of good things, but those are over shadowed by the steaming pile he is leaving the next three mayors. More dictator than anything else.

How many years have you guys had corrupt mayor's there in Chicago??

Seems I remember hearing you got bum mayor's since what, '30's.

And yes I knew that is why it is called the windy city. msp_glare.gif

I was born in San Diego, lived in the Palm Springs area for ten years, I just don't handle extreme heat very well. San Diego is comfortable temperature wise, but to many people and it's way too expensive to live there, we moved out of there in 1984 and it was getting nutty then. Police helicopters flying over your house all the time....one to two hour commutes to work...real estate is so over valued...to hell with that..I don't mind visiting, but I remember the area when it was a nice place, back in the 1950's, I would make a good hermit...

It's time to separate the men from the boys (or the smart people fro the idiots) I did the Polar Bear dive a couple of times. The first time it was 17 degrees outside. They had to bust threw ice to make a spot for us. I began drinking double screwdrivers at around 8:00 and jumped in at noon. Brrrrrrr

I actually hate cold more than hot. I'll take 100 over 0 any day of the week. I can't stand air conditioning in a house or a car. I lived in an apartment by myself for three years and only turned it on when people came over. Twenty five dollar electricity bills in the summer!

It's time to separate the men from the boys (or the smart people fro the idiots) I did the Polar Bear dive a couple of times. The first time it was 17 degrees outside. They had to bust threw ice to make a spot for us. I began drinking double screwdrivers at around 8:00 and jumped in at noon. Brrrrrrr

I actually hate cold more than hot. I'll take 100 over 0 any day of the week. I can't stand air conditioning in a house or a car. I lived in an apartment by myself for three years and only turned it on when people came over. Twenty five dollar electricity bills in the summer!

I as well have done many polar bear dips at various winter carnivals..

The most recent was twice down in a town of Houghton Lake Mi.

They have a fishing carnival show the last 2 weeks of Jan.

I'ts called tip town festival..You jump in with a rope around you then climb out with a aluminum ladder on other side..

About 8-10 years was the coldest polar dip I was involved in, it was in the neighborhood of - 40 below F. Without windchill..

Look it up on google... big event down there anyways.

I was visiting a buddy of mine from H.S. It's about 120-150 miles south of here.

How many years have you guys had corrupt mayor's there in Chicago??

Seems I remember hearing you got bum mayor's since what, '30's.

And yes I knew that is why it is called the windy city. msp_glare.gif

I think he got in after Mayor Washington died in office since he failed at a regular election. Rahm Emanuel was part of his election team which is why it makes me so nervous that he's thrown his hat in the ring. We need fresh blood and new ideas.

I think he got in after Mayor Washington died in office since he failed at a regular election. Rahm Emanuel was part of his election team which is why it makes me so nervous that he's thrown his hat in the ring. We need fresh blood and new ideas.

So you're looking for new blood..

I can't afford the shipping costs myself

but if you ask Craigh maybe he, Richci and some of the other Jersey folks,

can arrange for a couple of New Jerseys finest politicians to make the trip west.

Oh Sorry, You'll have to pay the bail money.

wavey.gifwavey.gifwavey.gifwavey.gif

I was born in Chicago..1948..

I went on my first band tour in 1969..by 1973 I was done. I lived in Miami..New Orleans..LA..back to New York..many other places. I found I could handle 3 months of daytime heat and decent nights..and 8-9 months of perfect weather here in the desert.

Christmas evening..playing guitar on the back patio..after riding my motorcycle or taking the roadster out...maybe even going up the mountain to see and feel snow then back down to 70s..

I think I'll stay here...

Had to scrape frost off the car windows this morning here on the North Shore of Mare Vaporum. aka No. Illinois, so close to Winnsconsin, you can smell the cheese when they cut it.

First time since spring.

Ummm, the ice scraping, not the cheese cutting. They seem to be cuttin' it most all the time.

Had to scrape frost off the car windows this morning here on the North Shore of Mare Vaporum. aka No. Illinois, so close to Winnsconsin, you can smell the cheese when they cut it.

First time since spring.

Ummm, the ice scraping, not the cheese cutting. They seem to be cuttin' it most all the time.

Must smell over there. I hope the wind don't change directions!!!

Archived