Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Choice...

Silenced Fred

Telecaster for sure.

Like others have said, you already have a Gibson so you should go for something totally different for now.

I've been really playing my Tele a lot. It just works better for some things. It's really nice to have both guitars so you can choose which to play for certain things. I bring my Tele and SG when I jam with my friend.

My Tele kinda inspires me to play a little differently because of the way it sounds and feels. I wrote songs on it that I wouldn't have written on my SG. My Tele also makes me work a little harder so I don't know if the result is better or worse but it's definately a little different.

I have a Les Paul, an American Strat, a Mexican Tele and an Ibanez clone of a 335.

My 2 cents worth is to go for the Tele. It's like starting at the opposite end of the spectrum and then later on you can find a Strat to fill in between the two. An alternative, (somewhat radical), is to get a Fat Strat with coil splitting on the humbucker. That would give you something pretty similar to the Tele bridge tone and the rest of the typical Strat tones to boot.

So torn. What I'm thinking of doing, is getting a telecaster, and maybe putting a humbucker in the neck, something like the sd jazz pup or maybe a p90...

This is what I am currently building. But a tri-pup Tele. Can't wait to get 'er done. SD Lil '59 Bridge, SD Cool Rails Mid, and SD SH-2 Jazz in the Neck. All split-able with a push-pull tone and a bridge ON function with a push-pull volume in a custom made ash body with a 59 profile compound radius neck. Love the Tele guitar but found the off the shelf configurations too limiting. Plus, just wanted to build my own . . .

If you're going to put a humbucker or p90 in you might have to get a little creative with the wiring.

The pots and caps that work best with the Tele pickups might not sound too great with other pickups.

There's a pretty small but interesting thread about this on the Tele section of the Fender forum right now. I think it's called "p90 sounds like mud" or something like that.

Seriously get a Tele man. I just plugged mine in and reassured myself that it's awesome. It just sounds really cool. And judging by the music you like, I think the sound would fit nicely with you.

So torn. What I'm thinking of doing, is getting a telecaster, and maybe putting a humbucker in the neck, something like the sd jazz pup or maybe a p90...

But yes, those two are first priorities on the GAS list

You could always get on of these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Player-Telecaster-Thinline-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-106082472-i1468375.gc

0141802306_xl.jpg

Telecaster with humbuckers!!!! msp_scared.gif

But My vote goes to the SG for obvious reasons. wink.gif

I tease when I say a Tele has to have single coils... I do know some purists who would mean it and fight about it... The Tele pictured above is a neat sounding guitar. Any hollow body Tele, particularly with an F hole, seems to come out with a cool airy sound unlike any other solid body or hollow body I know. Even the Squier version with single coils is a wonderful sounding guitar.

The combination I like is a bridge single coil and a neck humbucker. For a dual pickup guitar with just a 3 way switch, that might actually be one of the most toneful guitars you could have. Really versatile,,,

But yes, those two are first priorities on the GAS list

Look for a 1997 Fender California Fat Telecaster.

Nice guitars. Some came with a humbucker in the neck. Some came with a Stratocaster pickup.

Still, a lot of luthiers will gladly route that out for you.

I own a MIM tele, it is very nice, good tele tone, made well. Get an SG as well. One can not have too many guitars. I own so many that I can't count them. Get several SGs as you can afford them. You'll only need one tele though, probably.:-({|=

I own a MIM tele, it is very nice, good tele tone, made well. Get an SG as well. One can not have too many guitars. I own so many that I can't count them. Get several SGs as you can afford them. You'll only need one tele though, probably.:-({|=

Au contraire mon ami...3 Teles is about right...they are at least as interesting as Strats..... [wink]

:-({|=

I guess my thing is that the Tele will likely change how you play a bit simply because of the difference in the neck. A Tele with a Gibbie neck - if possible - would still likely bring some change in technique due to the differences in sound. That may or may not "fit" where a given picker is in his personal musical development.

I've never had a "F" guitar largely because I do not care for the necks. Period. I kinda like the Tele sound on some stuff. A rare guy like Roy Buchanan can make a Tele "work" for about any style of music, and he had a definite preference for the "F" neck.

My "harem" includes a full hollow jazz box with humbuckers, a thin-body semi ditto, a solidbody ditto, a small A-E Epi, a 12-string acoustic with a mag single pole pickup added, two first generation 1970s Ovation A-E with one nylon and one steel string - and no Fenders at all. I've never felt a need to have one. Never had one when playing rock and country in bands, either. Why? Mostly the neck and too little gain for a bit of tone difference.

The main advantage of a Tele to me, btw, isn't the pickups, but rather the single volume knob where one might use one's pinkie to control volume while playing... Buchanan, for example, did that quite well. But then, a volume pedal does the same...

I guess I'll never change my opinion that playability of the guitar is paramount. Period. That's kinda the same as saying the guitar will find you, I guess.

m

I guess my thing is that the Tele will likely change how you play a bit simply because of the difference in the neck. A Tele with a Gibbie neck - if possible - would still likely bring some change in technique due to the differences in sound. That may or may not "fit" where a given picker is in his personal musical development.

I've never had a "F" guitar largely because I do not care for the necks. Period. I kinda like the Tele sound on some stuff. A rare guy like Roy Buchanan can make a Tele "work" for about any style of music, and he had a definite preference for the "F" neck.

My "harem" includes a full hollow jazz box with humbuckers, a thin-body semi ditto, a solidbody ditto, a small A-E Epi, a 12-string acoustic with a mag single pole pickup added, two first generation 1970s Ovation A-E with one nylon and one steel string - and no Fenders at all. I've never felt a need to have one. Never had one when playing rock and country in bands, either. Why? Mostly the neck and too little gain for a bit of tone difference.

The main advantage of a Tele to me, btw, isn't the pickups, but rather the single volume knob where one might use one's pinkie to control volume while playing... Buchanan, for example, did that quite well. But then, a volume pedal does the same...

I guess I'll never change my opinion that playability of the guitar is paramount. Period. That's kinda the same as saying the guitar will find you, I guess.

m

Pickups are meh, they might grow on me, but I'm not overwhelmed by them. I do love the playability of them though.

Archived