Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson,Certificate of authenticity

Steven Tari

All of the fakes started doing that just to get you to buy them. I'll take it off you hands if you like.

I think all of the custom shop guitars have that. My 2009 NIghthawk came with one and my ES-339 has one. Great guitar you chose.

As G. McBride said, all the CS guitars come with a COA I do believe.

My ES-339 came with the COA and a key for the case. My Re-issue came with a whole pile of stuff.

Great choice on the 339. I had a chance to put a few hours on mine over the weekend. What a great guitar.

Dave

The new ES-339 I just bought had one in the pocket of the guitar case and was just made in August. Is this something new or is it something you always get with a Gibson built in the Custom Shop?[confused]

Steven, Hi! I bought a 2008 CS-336 this past March and it came with a Certificate of Authenticity (COA). While the guy at the Music Store (Alto Music in Middletown,

NY) gave me the case for the guitar, on the guitar handle was a tag that read, "The Certificate of Authenticity is enclosed in the pocket of the case." And when I

opened the case, indeed it was where is said it would be. I double checked with Gibson anyway, i.e. with all the Counterfeits going around, etc. They assured me

from their factory records that I had the real deal. I hope you enjoy your ES-339 as much as I do my CS-336. They are very beautiful, well made guitars with an

awesome sound to boot. That's what sold me on my guitar. It just felt and played so well (even acoustically), but once I plugged it into the amplifier at the store,

during my test run, I was sold. Worth every penny and it will be a good collector's item as well, but I like playing my guitars, not just looking at them. :)

I'm really glad to hear that. How long have they been doing this? Just curious.[confused]

Steve, I'm not sure if they've been doing that since the get-go or not. Maybe if one of the Gibson monitors or representatives takes a peek at

this thread they can let us know. But it's a great idea.

Hi Steven, the guys are correct, custom shop guitars come with a COA. The ES-339 is a great guitar, you should post a picture.

+1. Awesome guitars. Not sure how long the CS has been putting the COA's in, but mine was made in 7/09 and it had one.

I remember a woman who bought a Gucci handbag. She was so proud and displayed the certificate of authenticity as proof that it was genuine.

I thought to myself, I wonder who could go though the trouble of making a fake purse with the Gucci logo all over it, made of fabric, wood and metal, and not be able to fake certificate? I kept my mouth shut as I didn't want to spoil her bliss.

I suppose the best way to insure you are getting the real thing is to buy from an authorized dealer.

BTW, that's one beautiful guitar, and I've definitely got GAS for one. I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Archived