Gibson Brands Forums

If I can't turn up a tube amp past 3

Andre S

If the amp your getting is not a true tube amp then a soak will be wasted money; if its a real tube amp (pre amp and power tubes) then get a soak; hot plates what ever they call it today well worth the cash. It will allow your amp to breath and act like its at full power without it being full power. Some soaks even have line outs for recording and head phone outs for personal listening. I cant get the Marshall to 1 or the 5150 off zero before the windows start shaking...

I love it.

Yup, all tube....but its a consignment item, so I'll have to check the shipping cost....most likely it would be too expensive.

I recommend an egnator renagade tube amp, which has amazing sound, and has switches to switch between 60 watts and 18 watts; even though 18 watts can be loud, I get great massive tube tone at low volumes. Another idea is; an egnator 'Tweaker' 15 watt head through a closed cabinet containing a 'low power' 12 inch speaker. The tweaker amp is a steal at $399.00! If you live above others in an apt building, put your amp on a dedicated metal amp stand, but also place thick foam of any kind between the stand and amp. Many respected companies these days are selling all tube 5 watt amps, which may be a solution for you; however, these are class "A" amps, and are more geared for clean sounds. Since you want to go past '3' on your amp, I assume you want that tube distortion sound, which means that you should go with a class 'AB' amp. Remember, that tube distortion and overdrive comes strictly from the 'pre amp' section and NOT the power tube section, so, the more 12AX7 pre-amp tubes a pre-amp has, the more 'overdrive' sound you will achieve. And yes, like that other guy says, power soaks will do the trick. Good luck. ( I would love to hand build an amp with 10 12AX7 pre-amp tubes, pushing two low power EL34 tubes ). Hope this helps - This my first ever on-line post!!!

I recommend an egnator renagade tube amp, which has amazing sound, and has switches to switch between 60 watts and 18 watts; even though 18 watts can be loud, I get great massive tube tone at low volumes. Another idea is; an egnator 'Tweaker' 15 watt head through a closed cabinet containing a 'low power' 12 inch speaker. The tweaker amp is a steal at $399.00! If you live above others in an apt building, put your amp on a dedicated metal amp stand, but also place thick foam of any kind between the stand and amp. Many respected companies these days are selling all tube 5 watt amps, which may be a solution for you; however, these are class "A" amps, and are more geared for clean sounds. Since you want to go past '3' on your amp, I assume you want that tube distortion sound, which means that you should go with a class 'AB' amp. Remember, that tube distortion and overdrive comes strictly from the 'pre amp' section and NOT the power tube section, so, the more 12AX7 pre-amp tubes a pre-amp has, the more 'overdrive' sound you will achieve. And yes, like that other guy says, power soaks will do the trick. Good luck. ( I would love to hand build an amp with 10 12AX7 pre-amp tubes, pushing two low power EL34 tubes ). Hope this helps - This my first ever on-line post!!!

It helps greatly, thanks

Welcome to the forums!

Is this only for home use? Heck, a 1 watt tube amp is plenty loud.

Well at this point there are chances for me to play otherwise, like at family get togethers, and I would be playing with friends.

dem00n, I am looking into ways to soundproof my room....Any ideas for what to use?

Well at this point there are chances for me to play otherwise, like at family get togethers, and I would be playing with friends.

dem00n, I am looking into ways to soundproof my room....Any ideas for what to use?

Google, their are tons of ways.

Ask your parents first.

If its only for home use but there is always a possibility of getting together with friends then 1 watt is way too little.

I have a Vox AC4 head/cab. It has 1/4w, 1w, and 4w settings. For playing at home alone, 1w is plenty loud...and if you live in an apartment, you're neighbours will certainly hear that 1 watt. [biggrin]

319, I just used 1w as an example. You certainly don't need 30+ watts for what you described. Now if you want 30+ watts, that's a whole 'nother matter.

Here's an example of what just 5w can do (not me). Listen to the whole thing - he turns it up at around 1:30.

Do you actually need anything louder? http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9555076

I have a Vox AC4 head/cab. It has 1/4w, 1w, and 4w settings. For playing at home alone, 1w is plenty loud...and if you live in an apartment, you're neighbours will certainly hear that 1 watt. [biggrin]

319, I just used 1w as an example. You certainly don't need 30+ watts for what you described. Now if you want 30+ watts, that's a whole 'nother matter.

Here's an example of what just 5w can do (not me). Listen to the whole thing - he turns it up at around 1:30.

Do you actually need anything louder? http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9555076

Oh, I am well aware of what 5W can do, I just know that that amp the Vibrolux Reverb Reissue, would be one of the ultimate fenders, for the 'fender clean tone'

My realistic wattage range is 1-15W more on the lower range (around 5 ish) for a cranked amp....How is the breakup on the Vox AC-4?

(well a hybrid amp) without the neighbours hearing, how well would a 40W amp work, using it for clean sounds? attenuator maybe? I found a nice deal on a 40W Fender Vibrolux Reverb.

Get the amp, for playing out (clubs, bars, etc.) You can use a POD or something similar,

with headphones, for practicing, in your apartment.

CB

Get the amp, for playing out (clubs, bars, etc.) You can use a POD or something similar,

with headphones, for practicing, in your apartment.

CB

Still too young to be in a bar....coupla months again...Right now I don't gig but I do play at family events plus I'm a gear hound.....and I think this will help me get the tone in my head........

I don't think that i'm in the group that can have a couple of varied guitarsbut more amps and pedals

I just got a new 40w Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III, and i gotta say its LOUD...but defintley controlable...This is my first fender amp, and I'm still blown away by the cleans, and how it takes pedals. I play it mostly inside my house and never go past 3, but does that matter? not to me.

Archived