Gibson Brands Forums

The Spirit of Radio Opening Riff

rocketman

Here is the riff as described by the man himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc209Q9m6x8

Most people tend to play it like this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr-X1hFLfCQ

That is, people add the open string e note on the 16th, which is different than what Lifeson explains. My problem is that I swear that I hear that open e note in the riff. Here it is an octave lower and cleaned up a bit.

Now I don't want to question the man, but do you think he hits that e note incidentally throughout the riff? I don't hear it on the first beat but I know I hear it on the third beat.

I played in a band that covered lots of Rush in my younger days; quite a learning curve. I also played guitar in a Steely Dan cover band; that was a ***** to study, and I can no longer do that stuff, got old I guess. Rush rocks.

... Now I don't want to question the man, but do you think he hits that e note incidentally throughout the riff? I don't hear it on the first beat but I know I hear it on the third beat.

Yep, like a lot of us - he has a plan on the way he wants it played . . . . but the way it comes out ain't exactly according to plan. B)

I've been playing the last note wrong, it sounds way better the way Alex showed it. I've been landing on the D for the last note (3rd fret B String). Little thing like that makes a HUGE difference, time for this old dog to learn a new trick.

Jocko - I hate to harp on a thing like this, but Rush is not a Super Group. A "Super Group" is a band made up of musicians that have already made a name for themselves in the music business (Cream, Blind Faith, BBM, Chicken Foot, Power Station). No one had heard of Alex, Geddy, or Niel before they were in RUSH. They're a Power Trio, not a Super Group.

I played in a band that covered lots of Rush in my younger days; quite a learning curve. I also played guitar in a Steely Dan cover band; that was a ***** to study, and I can no longer do that stuff, got old I guess. Rush rocks.

damian, it's not because you're getting old. It's like anything else, "If you don't use it, you lose it.". I can remember when I use to do Hector Villa Lobos

Preludes and Fernando Sor Studies on my Classical Guitar. I can't now because I haven't played them in years. Doesn't mean that if I had time to whip myself back

in shape that I couldn't do it again. I'm sure if Alex Leifson or any other professional or semi-professional player weren't playing all the time that they could

keep their chops up to the precision they do else-wise. Playing guitar is like being a athlete. If you don't practice all time, then your muscles can't always

do what you tell them. When you're a pro and constantly in condition from a practice routine, there's no more thought, just execution because you've done it over

and over. When you have to start thinking about it, you lose the continuity in the flow.

Archived