Gibson Brands Forums

BYOC?

surfpup

Anyone else tried the Build Your Own Clone pedals? Here's the Leeds Fuzz kit I built. I found it pretty fun and relatively easy to do. It shows up with a plain metal box and all the parts in a bag. The rest is up top you. Definitely plan on doing some more. Just curious if anyone else has built their stuff.

Finished.jpg

Anyone else tried the Build Your Own Clone pedals? Here's the Leeds Fuzz kit I built. I found it pretty fun and relatively easy to do. It shows up with a plain metal box and all the parts in a bag. The rest is up top you. Definitely plan on doing some more. Just curious if anyone else has built their stuff.

Finished.jpg

I'd like to, but I barely even have time anymore to pick up the guitar [crying]

Newspaper and college work is eating up my time like crazy. I want to do a fuzz kit though, maybe over winter break or something

I mention these guys everytime somebody is wondering where to get pedals. I built a British Blues Overdrive about a year ago. Its my first build and I am very happy with it. I figured it was a good choice because it didn't have as many parts. Any way, you can't see the case but I painted it blue. This is a shot of the inards that I posted on the BYOC forum for troubleshooting purposes. ( Great forum BTW , those guys really know their stuff ). I still have not decided what to get next.

BBO.jpg

I'm thinking about doing the ESV Bender mkii. I think it looks simple and has great transistor's in the kit and sounds as good as a 400 dollar clone IMO.

When I say it looks simple, I haven't built any yet, but spent a ton of time looking at the gut's and different instructions from the site.

Cheers,

J

I'm thinking about doing the ESV Bender mkii.

Yeah, that looks like a winner. I might do the ESV fuzz (Fuzz Face clone) next. It's actually simpler than the Leeds I did first. I wish they had a killer treble booster too - a Rangemaster clone maybe.

...Not sure if I should just buy it or tell my wife this is what I want for Christmas.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. [biggrin] It would be a fun holiday project. You'll have it together in no time since you are a soldering fool!

I know it's kind of a stupid question, you wouldn't be raving about them if it sounded bad, but how does it sound? Is it a pretty good clone,

Who cares how it sounds.. check out the paint job, dude! [biggrin]

Just kidding of course. And it's not a stupid question at all. It sounds very cool - but very 60s! Not a sound I use a lot. (I generally use more modern dirt boxes... Lovepedal, Fulltone, etc.)

Also, I can't really vouch for how accurate the clone is since I've never owned or played a Univox SuperFuzz which is what the Leeds Fuzz is supposedly a clone of. Can I get Pete's "Live at Leeds" tone? Not without some P90s and a raging HiWatt I imagine. But this box is unlike anything I've ever used. It's got lots of fuzz, a focused midrange voice, and a nice, very subtle, octave effect. If I can find time I'll try to do a little demo clip.

Finished.jpg

That looks killer! I've built a BYOC Tremolo, and it sounded great. I'm working on a tap tremolo pedal right now(and trying to figure out a way to add a blinking LED to the Boss TR-2)

Who cares how it sounds.. check out the paint job, dude! [biggrin]

Just kidding of course. And it's not a stupid question at all. It sounds very cool - but very 60s! Not a sound I use a lot. (I generally use more modern dirt boxes... Lovepedal, Fulltone, etc.)

Also, I can't really vouch for how accurate the clone is since I've never owned or played a Univox SuperFuzz which is what the Leeds Fuzz is supposedly a clone of. Can I get Pete's "Live at Leeds" tone? Not without some P90s and a raging HiWatt I imagine. But this box is unlike anything I've ever used. It's got lots of fuzz, a focused midrange voice, and a nice, very subtle, octave effect. If I can find time I'll try to do a little demo clip.

Yeah, a vid if you get time would be cool. As long as it has a good tone it doesn't really matter if it duplicates another pedal or not. I might just get me one or two of these to put together.

That looks killer! I've built a BYOC Tremolo, and it sounded great. I'm working on a tap tremolo pedal right now(and trying to figure out a way to add a blinking LED to the Boss TR-2)

I have the info here somewhere to add the blinking led to the TR-2 if you are interested.

Found it. I never got around to trying it out yet so I cant verrify if it works.

Boss_TR-2_speed-LED.gif

I have the info here somewhere to add the blinking led to the TR-2 if you are interested.

Found it. I never got around to trying it out yet so I cant verrify if it works.

Boss_TR-2_speed-LED.gif

You are the MAN!!! I'll try this out, and let you know how it goes!!

Do you have the noticable volume drop when you turn the trem on?

There is a fix to that: change out R9 with a 4k7. You will actually get a slight

volume increase instead.

Yeah. Mine is an older model, so it has the volume drop. I'm actually adding a seperate volume control.

Hopefully the pedal makes it out in 1 piece [biggrin]

Archived