Gibson Brands Forums

Is there a risk leaving the guitar with no strings

alans056

Hello

I have placed my tale-pice the wrong way -_____-

So of course I would like to put it back, but I would have to remove all the strings.

Is there a risk ? Neck pression or something like that ?

I don't want my guitar buzzing with new strings!!

Thanks!!

I was wondering about that too but....

I changed strings on my LP a couple of weeks ago, removed them all to clean the fretboard, installed new strings with same gauge and I got a buzz on the D and high E string! I can live with a tiny buzz on the D string, but the high E string is almost touching the first 5 frets [scared]

I wouldn't recommend leaving a guitar with no strings on it for any length of time; but I've never had an issue with the short time to clean a guitar by removing all the strings.

Wild_Rose.. check your nut slot on that E.. maybe the nut is cracked or has a grove that's making your string sit that low.

^thanks, the thing is that before changing the strings there was no buzz at all. This is the 1st time I changed strings after getting it. The factory setup was almost perfect!

back to alans' original question, I think it also has to do with the room temperature/humidity etc.

I always take all six off and never have any buzz when I put the new strings back on. I also condition the fretboard for a good 2 to 3 hours while the strings are off.

You guys should learn how to do your own set ups - tweaking the truss rod and raising/lowering the bridge is not a difficult thing to do. No reason to worry about fret buzz.

Is this true for acoustics as well? I noticed a hairline crack in the laminate above the saddle on my Ovation from leaving the strings on in the case for an extended time. I took them off about a week ago. Now I suppose I should re-string it and leave them on (based on what's been said in this thread). My question then, is what is the best way to store a guitar? With strings on, but loose tension?

I normally change one string at a time to maintain tension on the neck. I'm re-thinking that because I removed all the strings on my ES-339 last weekend to treat the fretboard and lube the nut and restring and it came out perfect.

Like others, I wouldn't leave it without strings for any length of time though.

Another poster mentioned loosening the truss rod nut. I don't get that. To me, that is just creating an extra adjustment that if done incorrectly can be catastrophic. I could be wrong though.

Dave

Archived