Gibson Brands Forums

Custom guitars...

Silenced Fred

So, please take this topic semi seriously.

What I want is a body size similar to a 339, double cutaways like a Gretsch, 3 Filtertron pickups (individual 3 way switches so each can be on, split, or off) and a bigsby. Does anyone know of semi hollowbody custom makers that won't charge half of a billion dollars?

I looked up the Gretsch 6119, and could get it modified to a double cutaway for 2 grand :blink: but to have it look super nice, and then it would really be a replica of Jack White's Green Machine.

Advice? And don't just say quit dreaming. I am being serious and would save up for one because its something that could cover a ton of different styles of playing

Wish I could be of help Nathan but the only custom builders I can vouch for I've only seen solid bodies from them. I'm sure there are plenty on here that would be able to give you a lead though.

Yeah, the only custom builders I could find are for solid bodies, someone has to know somebody with reasonable prices...

Fred, according to "our friend" Google, Randy Parsons of Parsons Guitars builds JW's guitars. From what I read, it wasn't really clear to me that Parsons builds all of White's guitars, i.e., all including the Green Machine.

If I were you, I'd contact Parsons Guitars and see what he can do for you.

Fred, according to "our friend" Google, Randy Parsons of Parsons Guitars builds JW's guitars. From what I read, it wasn't really clear to me that Parsons builds all of White's guitars, i.e., all including the Green Machine.

If I were you, I'd contact Parsons Guitars and see what he can do for you.

Yup. That's how I got the 2k quote. Talked to the man hisself. That's what I'll probably end up doing.

Dem00n-never said looking for cheap, just reasonable. 2 grand guitar plus another two grand for customization to my exact specs? Not bad. I was just wondering if someone knew of a good custom semi hollowbody maker

I think going with Parsons is the way to go, then. It'll cost you, but you'll be getting exactly what you want.

[While I'm thinking about it, let me EDIT and add this]

A few years ago, at the Dallas Guitar Show, I met Michael Stevens of Stevens Guitars. He's the guy who builds Junior Brown's "guit-steels". He had just started taking orders and making them available to the public. I told him I was a lefty, and he told me he could build me a lefty guit-steel, an exact mirror image of Junior's for 9K. I told him, "Hell, I have a hard enough time playing just six strings on a single-neck guitar." BUT, if I were so inclined, I would rather pay Stevens 9K and know I was getting the real thing, than to pay someone else half that and maybe get something I might never be satisfied with.

Not sure exactly why you want 3 switches? You can wire a tri-pup guitar with a 5 way [Fender Strat style] switch so you can have any individual pup on or a mixture of neck-mid or mid-bridge. Then with a push-pull tone control, you can split the coils and with a push-pull volume you can have it be "bridge on" pulled so you can actually turn on the bridge pup with the other two or with the neck.

Currently doing this with a tri-pup Tele Clone I'm building - if I ever get the time to finish it !!!!!! ](*,)

Perhaps using this as a starting point? It's cheap.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Riviera-Custom-P93-Electric-Guitar-105800502-i1427053.gc

Would require different wiring than I've described above. Stock wiring only has volume and tone control of the bridge and neck but than can be fixed. You could change to one volume and three tones, push-pull to split its particular individual pup and use a push-pull volume to keep the bridge on. There are also 6 way switches that you can pop into this 3 way to expand the tonal possibilities. It's all a matter of how much you want to spend and how much you are capable of rewiring yourself.

I think going with Parsons is the way to go, then. It'll cost you, but you'll be getting exactly what you want.

[While I'm thinking about it, let me EDIT and add this]

A few years ago, at the Dallas Guitar Show, I met Michael Stevens of Stevens Guitars. He's the guy who builds Junior Brown's "guit-steels". He had just started taking orders and making them available to the public. I told him I was a lefty, and he told me he could build me a lefty guit-steel, an exact mirror image of Junior's for 9K. I told him, "Hell, I have a hard enough time playing just six strings on a single-neck guitar." BUT, if I were so inclined, I would rather pay Stevens 9K and know I was getting the real thing, than to pay someone else half that and maybe get something I might never be satisfied with.

That's what I'm thinking because quite honestly, it would be a truly custom guitar. I talked to him and he seems like a great guy. And if Jack White likes him... hell [blush]

Not sure exactly why you want 3 switches? You can wire a tri-pup guitar with a 5 way [Fender Strat style] switch so you can have any individual pup on or a mixture of neck-mid or mid-bridge. Then with a push-pull tone control, you can split the coils and with a push-pull volume you can have it be "bridge on" pulled so you can actually turn on the bridge pup with the other two or with the neck.

Currently doing this with a tri-pup Tele Clone I'm building - if I ever get the time to finish it !!!!!! ](*,)

Perhaps using this as a starting point? It's cheap.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Riviera-Custom-P93-Electric-Guitar-105800502-i1427053.gc

Would require different wiring than I've described above. Stock wiring only has volume and tone control of the bridge and neck but than can be fixed. You could change to one volume and three tones, push-pull to split its particular individual pup and use a push-pull volume to keep the bridge on. There are also 6 way switches that you can pop into this 3 way to expand the tonal possibilities. It's all a matter of how much you want to spend and how much you are capable of rewiring yourself.

What if I want the neck and bridge on without the middle pickup? I just prefer it this way because to me, its simpler.

I do like the Riviera Custom, and would do a 6 way switch on that.

Try Framus....And, the guy, ah, who designed for B.C. Rich now runs his own custom shop and will build you anything you want, and you can assist in the design process yourself...You can even go and stay there and help with the actual build.......I have a design ready to go, I need a vacation, and when a lawsuit I'm doing comes through, I'm gonna do that; spend two weeks with him helping build my own design, and my own guitar.....The design will then be available for others to order; my own signature model; Imagine your own Nathan 'Fred61 model !!

Try Framus....And, the guy, ah, who designed for B.C. Rich now runs his own custom shop and will build you anything you want, and you can assist in the design process yourself...You can even go and stay there and help with the actual build.......I have a design ready to go, I need a vacation, and when a lawsuit I'm doing comes through, I'm gonna do that; spend two weeks with him helping build my own design, and my own guitar.....The design will then be available for others to order; my own signature model; Imagine your own Nathan 'Fred61 model !!

Moesr?

Moesr?

Yes, Moesr.......He's very down to earth, does custom work, runs a hand's on building class, etc.......I don't really like the typical designs he does, but anything goes....My design, which will be built, is neck through, semi hollow, is somewhat 'Traditional' in looks, but has features I've never seen before in a guitar.... It may cost Fred61 a bit more, and this only a suggestion.......Dem00n, my thinking is that if Nathan wants a really custom guitar, Parsons is a good choice...Moeser might be an option; why not spend a bit more, watch it be made in person, and have the option to make your own design avaiable for others to own??

What about a Johnny A.? Same size as a 339, double cut away, bigsby.... Just mod the switch to do whatever you want. If you want to coil split you'll need to change the pick ups for four lead pick ups and push pull pots...

Top.jpg

View.jpg

Eh, I don't care for the cutaway on it. I really like the ones on a Gretsch. personal preference

Nathan why not just wait a week until you are gassing for something else that does not take as much effort and money? [mellow]

This one has been around for two years, just never really vocalized about it...

It's a lifelong dream now, it will be the Nathan Custom series, everyone will want one (except Jack White had the original idea...)

Take a look George Leach a custom builder and owner of the Phoenix Guitar company, he makes an great sounding small 14 inch hollow body and his work is truly amazing. His typical Custom 14 or Baby Phoenix is a single cutaway but Im sure the double would be something well within his capabilities. He's not cheap probably in the 4k-5k range again but when done you would truly have a one of a kind custom not a converted factory guitar. He does some of the best looking inlay ive ever seen the phoenix bird he does on the headstock is gorgeous and he also does amazing Bonsai trees that look real on the necks.

http://www.phoenixguitarco.com/

Archived