Gibson Brands Forums

New Pups for Epi SG

themrock

Hi, this is my first topic, please be patient, because i am from germany and my english isnt perfect.

I own a Epi SG worn brown 400, nothing special, but i like it.

I would like to change the pups.

The sound should be a mixture between the early Black Sabbath (menancig, thunderous) and AC/DC Hard/Heavy Rock, with a darker Tone.

So I looked at the Gibson Site, how the Sgs are equipped.

- Neck Bridge

- Tommy Iommi Signature Pup Tommy Iommi Signature Pup

- 57 classic Pup Angus Young Pickup

- Burstbucker Pro Burstbucker Pro

Ok to get more thunder,my ideas

- 57 classic plus Angus Young

- Burstbucker Pro Angus Young

I will stay with Gibson Pups, what would be your advice

Thanks

Hi,

i opened just a second ago the same thread at the Gibson Gear thread, because i thaugt that my question was at the wrong place and was on the way to delete this one, but you was quicker.Please feel free to abswer in the new one.

Okay back to your question, my amp is a Roland Cube 30X.

I think you should give some thought to other pup manufacturers such as Seymour Duncan. I have a Vintage faded brown G-400 with SD pups, a SH4-JB in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck. She sounds amazing through my Vypyr 30 and I have no problem getting some great AC/DC tones out of her. It's easy to find SD pups on ebay and they would cost you considerably less than new Gibby pups.

I think you should give some thought to other pup manufacturers such as Seymour Duncan. I have a Vintage faded brown G-400 with SD pups, a SH4-JB in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck. She sounds amazing through my Vypyr 30 and I have no problem getting some great AC/DC tones out of her. It's easy to find SD pups on ebay and they would cost you considerably less than new Gibby pups.

Both Gibson and SD are pretty expensive, the best value pickups as far as I'm concerned are LINK>>>> GFS by Guitar Fetish <<<<LINK, every pickup on this site has a very good and honest description.

GFS Crunchy PAT set

about as close to a good super distortion as you can get.

$47 for both shipped

And I bet they sound awesome, I've never heard a bad report or read a bad review on them, my CBG and the Hembrys not loaded with SDs all have GFS pups in them and every one of them scream.

For the benefit of 'themrock; could you give apraisal of the quality of the hardware and sound these pups produce, also the value for money they represent. Just for balance, otherwise it sounds like I work for them, though that'd be pretty difficult considering I'm on the other side of the planet.

Well I guess I have a bad review for you, although I realize I'm probably in the minority. I bought a set of GFS Fat PAF's for and Epi LP and I didn't like them one bit.

What really sealed it was changing them out for an Epi set from an LP Elitist, which really demonstrated how the GFS set lacked note definition, sustain etc, etc..

Anyway, perhaps I got a bad set, or I'm spoiled by having good amps, but I wouldn't buy another set.

Well I guess I have a bad review for you, although I realize I'm probably in the minority. I bought a set of GFS Fat PAF's for and Epi LP and I didn't like them one bit.

What really sealed it was changing them out for an Epi set from an LP Elitist, which really demonstrated how the GFS set lacked note definition, sustain etc, etc..

Anyway, perhaps I got a bad set, or I'm spoiled by having good amps, but I wouldn't buy another set.

That is truly the first time I've heard a bad word said against them.

Same here - First time I, too, have heard a negative about GFS Pickups.

For me, I'm totally sold on 'em.

I ebayed a Raven West 300DMX LP (Purple Quilt Top) for $169 (they ASK $379 on their

Website). Came with a brand of pup called "G and B". Research produced no info, and stock pups

sounded mediocre at best (as played thru Frontman 212 Amp).

Raven West Git came with "Satin" finish hardware (BLECHHH!), so I immediately replaced all

hardware with SHINY GOLD and a set of "Alnico Fat Pat Boutique Gold Humbuckers", ALL ordered

from Guitarfetish. Cost to me, less than $100. I ended up using the "Satin Finish" stuff on a

Dean Vendetta XM Project. Converted UGLY Flat-Black String-Thru to Hardtail and Red/Gold.

(One of my FIRST refinish attempts, and to tell the truth, I would LOVE to do it AGAIN! Looked GOOD!).

Tonally, the Raven West Git now sounds as close to Neal Schon's Guitar on any Journey Recording as

you can get. It's the only way I can describe it. If I'm jamming with friends, and a Journey Tune comes up,

I grab the Raven West LP. Totally satisfied with the Pickups.

Raven West LP: (Bottom One, Duh...)

100_0188.jpg

Dean Vendetta Refinish Project:(Next Time, ALL SHINY GOLD)

100_0217.jpg

Great set of gutars there AF. I remember you were working on that Vendetta when I used to hang here (before my last puter died) a while ago, turned out a really nice guitar, exceptional job, especially considering it was your first refinish. Also recall about the same time everyone talking up 3 cheaper brands as great value for the coin, Raven West, Agile and the Classic Vibe Squiers. Your RW turned out a treat too, for $260 odd bucks, shoot, it's a pearler. I love to get el cheapos and put in a bit of work and turn them into real keepers, as much, if not more than dropping a couple of grand on something that has it all off the bat.

You want PAF style pickups (10% there), a valve amp (20% there) and, most importantly, Tony and Angus' technique (the remaining 70% there).

I think Gibson's 490R/498T or 490R/490T pickups are good value pups giving excellent articulate PAF tones for rock and metal. The 498T provides more gain but the 490T will take lots of gain very well (and is therefore more versatile, IMO). Remember that players like Tony and Angus use a lot less gain than you might think.

Alan

You want PAF style pickups (10% there), a valve amp (20% there) and, most importantly, Tony and Angus' technique (the remaining 70% there).

I think Gibson's 490R/498T or 490R/490T pickups are good value pups giving excellent articulate PAF tones for rock and metal. The 498T gives provides gain but the 490T will take lots of gain very well (and is therefore more veratile, IMO). Remember that players like Tony and Angus use a lot less gain than you might think.

Alan

+1

Angus actually uses a very clean setup with little or no pedals involved, it's just that he attacks it like there's no tommorow.

• 4 weeks later...

I put a Gibson 498t in the bridge of my G-400 and it's perfect for me. You won't notice a huge difference at low volumes. It's at higher volumes were the difference comes. The Epi pups, while good, tend to break up and sound muddy at high volumes, like playing live, and the Gibson holds steady and sounds great. That's where I really noticed a big change. I'm saying this so you won't try a 498t equipped SG and think "that doesn't offer any upgrade" like I did at first. I'm very happy, and you can get them for $60 at some online places if you look for sales and deals like I did.

+1

Angus actually uses a very clean setup with little or no pedals involved, it's just that he attacks it like there's no tommorow.

If i ever get the house to myself i plug in the G400 and put on the CLEAN channel and krank up the gain and volume (this only works with a snarly HB and the volume control set to "STUN") and i am instantly rewarded with an early AC/DC sound. [thumbup]

Archived