Gibson Brands Forums

New Phone?

LarryUK

Right.

I have two phones. One for work (iphone3gs) and a private one(Samsung Jet) for not at work.

My Samsung is up for renewal now and I don't know what to get. I like my iphone, but the camera's not too good.

So I want a good camera in my next phone. My son's got the iphone 4 and that has a good camera, but it's expensive.

What in your opinions is the best camera phone available. I want a smartphone. So things like the Nokia n8 is my market.

Ta.

My girl just got the Droid X. It's got an 8 megapixel camera, and the screen is huge. It's really nice. 8 megapixels is pretty cool, but unless you plan on printing photos, you don't need that much. The flash on her Droid tends to blow out photos though. The Droid has a little more room for tweaking your controls, but to me, it's almost too much.

I'm an iPhone guy, I have a 3GS, and I dig it. If it was me, I'd go for the new iPhone. I like the photo apps for iPhone better (specifically Camera Bag, or Infinicam) than what are currently available for Droid.

My girl just got the Droid X. It's got an 8 megapixel camera, and the screen is huge. It's really nice. 8 megapixels is pretty cool, but unless you plan on printing photos, you don't need that much. The flash on her Droid tends to blow out photos though. The Droid has a little more room for tweaking your controls, but to me, it's almost too much.

I'm an iPhone guy, I have a 3GS, and I dig it. If it was me, I'd go for the new iPhone. I like the photo apps for iPhone better (specifically Camera Bag, or Infinicam) than what are currently available for Droid.

The Droid is really cool, but I am an iPhone guy as well. Besides for the camera, I much prefer the 3GS to the iPhone 4.

The Droid is really cool, but I am an iPhone guy as well. Besides for the camera, I much prefer the 3GS to the iPhone 4.

I have an IPhone 3GS also, Fred why do you not like the IPhone4 from what I've seen I'm leaning towards getting one. Is there something I haven't noticed?

I have an IPhone 3GS also, Fred why do you not like the IPhone4 from what I've seen I'm leaning towards getting one. Is there something I haven't noticed?

I love the camera on the iPhone 4, however nothing else pushed me towards it. I prefer the look and feel of the 3GS. I'm just gonna wait for the next iPhone 5 to come out, hopefully something cooler will happen. I was very unimpressed with the 4. Front facing camera, upgraded camera, cool, but not much else. Better screen? Standard upgrades.

The speaker is louder on the 3GS also, and sound quality from it is better compared to my 3 friend's iPhone 4's. There wasn't anything that made me want to switch

I have a Sprint EVO HTC and its the bomb since I removed all the sprint bloatware. Prior it had a battery life of maybe 4 hours, its almost 2 days now with some talking. I removed the sprint nascar, football, all the facebook, tweets, and anything that does not belong. It does great pics and movies. In fact the movie with the gulf shrimp and the backyard is from the phone.

ATT sucks around these parts, so the iPhone didn't make the cut. The Evo is sweet (the kids have a pair of them, and they are indeed all that.)

I opted for the Droid X, and it's pretty nice, too. Came with a 16g memory card (and I can't see the need to ditch it for a 32). The apps available for music management work pretty much seamlessly with iTunes, so as a portable music platform, it rocks. I'm not pleased with the camera, though. 8mp by the stats, but pics come out grainy and overexposed. Maybe I just don't know how to use it.

Sincerely,

That guy who could be just as happy with a cellphone that has a dial on it.

Mmm. I like my son's iPhone 4. The screen is so much better than my 3GS. I like the apps. I use the Gibson app for tuning. Perhaps it'll be the 4 then. I don't like that they want £89 though to upgrade. I've never paid to upgrade. Do you have to pay in USA? 600 mins and unlimited texts?

Who me, yeah simple stuff is what I am all about. I hate all that crap on the phones, its nice to have a ability to do some of those things I removed but it should not be so difficult to remove those apps. I even removed all the google crap, this disabled the ability to speak to the phone but thats OK I can type my own text messages. All I did was root the phone and remove the bloatware and rename the google crap to *.old so if I decide to reuse that function.

Don't have enough guts to root my phone yet... but I did find an app that manages what loads at boot, and can kill all of that crap. I get a couple of days out of the battery, and that is OK. Droid 2.2 kicks the ringer volume way up, so I do have to make sure that I turn off the sound before I go to sleep.

Google may one day rule everyone's existence, but so far I kinda like what they do for me.

That could change.

Don't have enough guts to root my phone yet... but I did find an app that manages what loads at boot, and can kill all of that crap. I get a couple of days out of the battery, and that is OK. Droid 2.2 kicks the ringer volume way up, so I do have to make sure that I turn off the sound before I go to sleep.

Google may one day rule everyone's existence, but so far I kinda like what they do for me.

That could change.

I use Gmail, Google reader, etc. Google runs my life. So does Apple. They keep me organized and from going insane. I'm an addict, don't judge

Oh Fred.

You'd have liked growing up in the '60s. Nothing ran your life save for your own imagination.

Yeah, but that's just for school work, work, etc. I use that to keep my schedule.

I wish I grew up in the 60s, I saw a Harmony H78 on the bay for like 1300... I want it so bad though

If memory serves your a computer savoy person so its easy actually. I did loads of research, backed up the device and you have to purchase one app called "Root Explorer" and its like 3 bucks. I took it real slow and even then the phone was rooted in less than 30 minutes, and it a better device now. The problem with the msconfig type programs is the device will receive updates from your cell phone supplier and all that work to disable has to be done again. Remove or rename the app and its finished never to run again. I also shut down auto updates to completely remove the phone from doing any thing behind my back.... lol

Yeah, but...

It's like those guys stressing about "evil".

I'm afraid of what I don't understand, and I paid too much for this thing to have it bricked when I'm not looking.

Ignorance and fear at work.

I went through that also, believe me it was nerve racking and I almost did not do it. There is a fail safe built into the phone if you screw up that will return the phone back to new with everything installed and working. You get to this area when youboot the phone by holding the vol down during boot and there is a restore function. Every option and software that you put on the phone will be deleted but it will be just like it was when you turned it on the first time. Also the way you root the phone you need to back it up; great stuff...

Might have to give it a go, thanks.

I talked to my son Halloween night about cellular phones. I'd really love to get rid of our land line, owing to the $79.00 it costs to keep it there... before any calls are made. [cursing]

Cell phones are the obvious solution, but cell phone reception is slim to mostly non-existent in my home.

He suggested T-Mobile which puts a cell transmitter hooked to your computer so you get a cell signal right in the house.

Down side is when the powers out, you have no communications. [sad]

Still working the details on power back-up with a home owner grade UPS system. My son has one he'd cobbled together.

$79.00/ month would more than add cell phone service to the current internet connection. Maybe even TV channels.

It's a brave new world out there and this Luddite is willing to update... to a point. [-(

I love the camera on the iPhone 4, however nothing else pushed me towards it. I prefer the look and feel of the 3GS. I'm just gonna wait for the next iPhone 5 to come out, hopefully something cooler will happen. I was very unimpressed with the 4. Front facing camera, upgraded camera, cool, but not much else. Better screen? Standard upgrades.

The speaker is louder on the 3GS also, and sound quality from it is better compared to my 3 friend's iPhone 4's. There wasn't anything that made me want to switch

Fair enough, the camera is a given much better but then there is the resolution, the video and video editing capibilities, thats not to mention my biggest complaint of the 3GS which is battery life.

That being said I guess the cost/benefit analysis would have to be a personal decision.

Oh Fred.

You'd have liked growing up in the '60s. Nothing ran your life save for your own imagination.

And lots of LSD.................

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

I pay 90 USD a month for unlimited everything, text, SMS messages, Internet, talk, and data.

I have read allot of people were not happy with the Iphone4 and many went back to the 3 because the new phone upgrade was just not worth it. A former student of mine went with a Iphone4 after having a Iphone3 for 2 years and gave it back. Then he jumped ship and went to sprint and got a EVO HTC like I have.

What gets me is the OS on the HTC is open source but Sprint (and others) lock it down so tight to prevent removing their crapware. Wish it was like windows and you could remove all the crapware without rooting the phone. Although it was simple enough.

So... tell me about this "crapware." What is it?

Fair enough, the camera is a given much better but then there is the resolution, the video and video editing capibilities, thats not to mention my biggest complaint of the 3GS which is battery life.

That being said I guess the cost/benefit analysis would have to be a personal decision.

My friend gets similar battery life on the iPhone. They upgraded the battery, but the screen is also more demanding of energy. It's all a trade off. Those features are really cool on the iPhone 4, but not enough for me to spend 400 bucks on the upgrade for it.

I love the iPhone system

Sprint Nascar, Tweeter, Myspace, Facebook, all the other sprint apps like Sprint tv. Loads of google stuff that is not needed to run the phone; its all good now. And the battery life is 2 days where it used to be just 4 hours.

2 days sounds respectable.

How did you accomplish that? Is it easy to dis-install the crap ware?

If I have to read it on that itty, bitty screen, I can't use it. I'll go to my full sized computer if I want to surf the net.

Archived