Gibson Brands Forums

Flora and Fauna

E-minor7

Gpickguard.jpgGpickguard2-1.jpgGpickguard3.jpgGpickguard4.jpg

We have to dig into this. The issue is enormous. It's a phenomenon weather we will or not. It's a guide-mark which has proven itself timeless. Some would say pop-art, some call it kitsch. Others would praise it as holy icons of invaluable beauty, impossible to live without. We are talking wildlife Gibson guards.

A few months ago I ran into a guy on the net, who wrote how he clearly remembered the day his uncle came home from work after drawing the Hummingbird pick-guard. How about that, , , it's really something, if you ask me. Though no further details, there is an entertaining, important layer inside the information, and it could very well be true. Of course, it may also just have been the dream of a bored man in need for attention – no one should judge. Anyway these p.g.-pictures were created by people of flesh and blood – there was an artist behind the work, even though the romantic vision might have sourced from higher chairs. Who were these souls – can anyone tell. What is the story and who ordered the lines, or came up with the ideas ?? The topic might have been touched before, but let's recycle the myths and facts. I know there is a certain group that can't cope, some have mixed feelings (at the same wouldn't miss/couldn't kiss the thing), but lots of folks really dig those peaceful meadow-glimpses, and their tale shouldn't stay untold.

I appreciate the sentiment but have never stopped to think of this before now. It's true--a person envisioned these designs; what would it be like to see your work replicated and included on these intruments? (It's not like they could sign their initials on it anywhere, right?)

I have always liked the guard on the J-200 Montana Gold--can you snag a pic of that one for us, too?

You pose a most interesting question about the minutiae of Gibson pick guards which would make even the most advanced members of The Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watchers Club (TAGSRWC) proud. http://mayberry.com/

Were these graphic artists employed by Gibson or did they farm this out to a third party firm?

Names would be extraordinary! [scared]

And in the words of Barney P. (or O.) Fife, "This is big, Big BIG, Really BIG!" [thumbup]

According to Eldon Whitford in Gibson's Fabulous Flat-top Guitars, the Hummingbird pickguard was designed by "Gibson designer Hartford Snyder". (p. 112) He goes on to say: "To the uninitiated (those eventual Hummingbird lovers who need a little while longer to be converted) this gewgaw is ostentatious rather than adornment, gaudy more than gorgeous. But to the many true believers, the Hummingbird pickguard could be mounted, framed, hung on the wall, and admired as artwork."

Then there's the Dove... Whitford says the early ones were all hand-engraved, painted and then inlaid with the mother-of-pearl Dove. Later, the engraving was farmed out to Germany with the inlaying still done back at Gibson in Kalamazoo by Maudie Moore, Gibson's chief pearl cutter from 1964 to 1980.

Or so sayeth Whitford in this terrific book that everyone who loves Gibson flatops should own.

... Later, the engraving was farmed out to Germany with the inlaying still done back at Gibson in Kalamazoo by Maudie Moore, Gibson's chief pearl cutter from 1964 to 1980....

You know, funny you say that. I've often thought the Dove guard had a germanic look about it. It was as if it came off a Pennsylvania Dutch hex sign or a Black Forrest coo coo clock.

I have liked Gibson's pickguards since I first paid attention to guitars. The more birds and flowers the better, in my view. For one thing, the flashy guards are a great way to get a guitar noticed while it hangs on a wall with 50 other guitars, and they all look like "guitars" except for the "one" with the birds on the pickguard. Some say they don't like the so-called "bling" on Gibsons, and that's is their choice. But for me, I like it a lot. And the guitars sound to me as good as they look. Sound is ultimately the prime thing to consider in a guitar, but I like the guitar to look great too.

I have liked Gibson's pickguards since I first paid attention to guitars. The more birds and flowers the better, in my view. For one thing, the flashy guards are a great way to get a guitar noticed while it hangs on a wall with 50 other guitars, and they all look like "guitars" except for the "one" with the birds on the pickguard. Some say they don't like the so-called "bling" on Gibsons, and that's is their choice. But for me, I like it a lot. And the guitars sound to me as good as they look. Sound is ultimately the prime thing to consider in a guitar, but I like the guitar to look great too.

Is there a prettier pickguard?

DSC01307.jpg?t=1288886937

Just returned from the studio after a demanding 2 night full-band live-session. Happy/rather zapped, guess we achieved what we had in mind, , , at least that's what I feel right now - but that r'n'r surely takes a bite of the old minstrel. Then again, didn't it always.

Had to calm down by a little Forum visit. Many good responses. AnneS got her Montana Gold. Never knew that one. Is it for a famous harvest ceremony or something, it's pretty spectacular. So is the Doves in Flight. Hope we're out of hunting season. TommyK had a funny description of his single-pigeon impression, "Black Forrest coo coo clock". Yes, it just sits there waiting for something to happen, almost too quiet for a good ringing chord sequence.

Found this E.P. model the other day. Might be the wildest of them all, , , (it takes a lot for me to use the word crazy). Don't know what to think. Where are we, , , New Years Eve 1959/60, onboard Sputnik 1, behind the mathematicians eyebrows, in the cellar of Pablo Picasso ???? – All I can say is it provides me with some kind of migraine.

EPJ-200.jpg

I love the Montana Gold, but this one looks like it belongs to Judy Jettson's dream boat, Jet Screamer. "Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah, and that means I love you!"

I think it's called Populux or Googie.

The Elvis pickguard was designed by Elvis himself. Guess maybe it gives us some insight into the "medication" he was on at the time...

The Doves in flight is a little questionable as most doves don't look like that. They have more of a fan tail when in flight. Looks suspiciously like a Pheasant.

The Montana Gold is a remarkable guitar. Montana's motto is Oro Y Plata. Spanish for Gold and Silver. Montana has lots of both. I guess the designer of the pickguard, Ren Ferguson, decided to go with Montana's other gold which is wheat. Maybe the name should be Montana's Golden harvest?

Maybe they should make a "Golden Pheasant" guitar. This bird just might be the most beautiful bird on the planet.

A fun story about the Hummingbird pickguard if you will. When Gibson moved from Kalamazoo to Nashville they packed all the stuff into boxes and shipped them to Nashville. Much later, think early 2,000's, an employee in Nashville was sorting thru some boxes in a storage unit and found the original molds for the Hummingbird cast pickguards. They called Montana and sent them up. These pickguards can be found on some models of Hummingbirds and they are the real deal. They are very expensive to produce.

Did anyone notice the individual string height adjusters on the bridge of the J-200 picture? Pretty cool.

Aha - Though not a Presley fan, I can't help being fascinated with the fact that Elvis created the guard himself. Wonder when it was done, but think I see a late 50'ties early 60'ties flavour in the style of the shapes. Always had the idea that he would have made it further into life, had he been more 'creative on the board'. A little naivistic/geometric painting wouldn't have been unhealthy.

Yes, I noticed the string-ajusters and wondered. Don't believe it was a Gibson concept, could be wrong. Also I found that particular guard very nice. It's a bit more discrete than the other more common, which in my eyes lift it up towards beauty.

Golden Pheasant – Now you're talking. Here's the way forward for the Montana pencils. A brand new model, strongly connected with - and filling some hole between - the units of the old group of dreadnaughts. Any wood-combination suggestions. . .

Aha - Though not a Presley fan, I can't help being fascinated with the fact that Elvis created the guard himself. Wonder when it was done, but think I see a late 50'ties early 60'ties flavour in the style of the shapes. Always had the idea that he would have made it further into life, had he been more 'creative on the board'. A little naivistic/geometric painting wouldn't have been unhealthy.

Yes, I noticed the string-ajusters and wondered. Don't believe it was a Gibson concept, could be wrong. Also I found that particular guard very nice. It's a bit more discrete than the other more common, which in my eyes lift it up towards beauty.

Golden Pheasant – Now you're talking. Here's the way forward for the Montana pencils. A brand new model, strongly connected with - and filling some hole between - the units of the old group of dreadnaughts. Any wood-combination suggestions. . .

The string height adjusters were standard on the pre-war J-200's. I have had the pleasure of playing one that was one of the finest playing and sounding guitars on the planet. It was, and may sill be, on consignment at Elderly. Check their web page. I believe it was first listed for $125K.

The Golden Pheasant should be a regular Dove body with high figured Maple back and sides natural finish double antiqued color like the Montana Gold. The headstock overlay should be figure Maple with a Pheasant cut from gold lip mother-of -pearl inlaid. The fretboard should be high figured Maple with gold lip m-o-p Golden Pheasants inlaid. The pickguard should be just like the Doves in flight. A beautiful Golden Pheasant rising out of a Montana wheat field. Gas anyone? Maybe I'll stop by Music Villa later and get them to get me a custom Quote. I'll post it if I do...

The string height adjusters were standard on the pre-war J-200's. I have had the pleasure of playing one that was one of the finest playing and sounding guitars on the planet. It was, and may sill be, on consignment at Elderly. Check their web page. I believe it was first listed for $125K.

The Golden Pheasant should be a regular Dove body with high figured Maple back and sides natural finish double antiqued color like the Montana Gold. The headstock overlay should be figure Maple with a Pheasant cut from gold lip mother-of -pearl inlaid. The fretboard should be high figured Maple with gold lip m-o-p Golden Pheasants inlaid. The pickguard should be just like the Doves in flight. A beautiful Golden Pheasant rising out of a Montana wheat field. Gas anyone? Maybe I'll stop by Music Villa later and get them to get me a custom Quote. I'll post it if I do...

I'm halfway there.... my DIF has natural Maple back & sides!

used_006.jpg?t=1288985976

Yeah, I like the fancy Gibson guards. They're a bit flashier than my usual taste but they just look right on those classic style guitars that have sported them from the beginning. I wouldn't want fins on a 2010 car but they sure look great on a vintage Cadillac.

Archived