Gibson Brands Forums

Finger pain from playing - and not on my pads

13Guitars

I have been playing for about 15 years - and when I play for extended or intense periods of time my fingers start to hurt due to the skin underneath my nails tearing (between the "pad" and nail.

Anyone else have this pain? Is there a good quick fix?

It happens when I am doing a lot of bends (lots of blues, I'm a frequent bender, double bends, etc)

I've tried putting neosporin under them to help the healing, but it makes little difference, and the old soak in vinegar solution doesn't work for this type of pain.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

How's your technique? Is your thumb on the back of the fretboard? Are you sitting/standing straight? Is the guitar at the right level for you? Are you pressing too hard?

Sounds like this can come from many angles...gotta address em all one by one and see if anything helps...

I know that was all kinda vague but you see what I am getting at right?

The pain doesn't come from pressing the strings down it comes from bending...

When I bend a lot - it pulls the calluses (which are substantial) on my fingers toward my palm and away from my nails - therefore eventually tearing the skin away from my nail, mostly on my ring finger (where most of the strain of the bend is focused).

It happens about once a month or when I am playing a whole lot. Perhaps I am just using too much force on some of my bends....

The pain doesn't come from pressing the strings down it comes from bending...

When I bend a lot - it pulls the calluses (which are substantial) on my fingers toward my palm and away from my nails - therefore eventually tearing the skin away from my nail, mostly on my ring finger (where most of the strain of the bend is focused).

It happens about once a month or when I am playing a whole lot. Perhaps I am just using too much force on some of my bends....

I'm with Guitarest - never heard of that kind of pain. Forgive me if this is too elementary - is most of the force you're applying during a bend directed downward (perpend!cular to the fretboard) or somewhat toward a sideways angle? I'm wondering if too much downward pressure is the culprit - the downward pressure (force) creating so much fiction that as you move the string to make the bend, the increased friction is causing enough pull on the skin by your fingernails to cause some tearing under the fingernail, especially after a long session with a lot of bending. So, I'm saying you should take a look at the angle your fingertips are directing their (pressure) when you make a bend - the angle should be more oblique, not perpend!cular.

Also, do you oil your fretboard from time to time? Or is it dry - more friction.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm (scroll down to Fret Doctor) <no affiliation>

Thanks for the tips everyone,

I think I get carried away a little when I am really playing hard, and that's probably the problem...playing TOO hard. The angle of my hand probably gets sloppy and puts too much strain on the skin.

I think cutting my nails a little too short is a culprit in this case as well. I like em short to keep em off the fretboard but too short only makes this problem easier.

Something that occurred to me was how your action is set.

I know for me, if the action is set high, the finger tip/string contact is closer to the nail and uncomfortable. I prefer a lower action for specifically that reason. I have almost no callusses real close to the nail.

Just a thought.

Dave

Yeah, using more than 1 finger when possible to bend. If you bend with your first finger, then try to not abuse :)

Your fingers should adjust by themselves with time, same as your fingertips, just let the time does its work. When it hurts, it's already a bit late to take a break. It's boring to take breaks every hour, lets say, but it's a good practice for many reasons.

I'm surprised though to tell that to someone who plays for many years :huh:

Good luck!

Oh My Friend You have got a serious problem, because it causes the guitaring performance in problems. So what you have to do is to Cut your nails first and then try to practice it on Steel Acoustic Guitar. Once you will be perfect in pressing its frets on Steel Hard Strings, then it will be great for you in coming events.

Thankyou

-Shaun-

http://deksamblogger.blogspot.com

Archived