Gibson Brands Forums

Effects question

Tman

Recently gotten our old band back together (from the 1970s!) and we now play mostly covers about 4 times a year. Going to play Message in a Bottle - The Police. I have a Stratocaster and a couple of Gibson's. How would you sound close to Andy Summers? I would think a flange or chorus or am I way off? Maybe a bit of delay?

Yes, I know technique is important and the amp. I have a great tube amp.

What pedal would you recommend?

Thanks and cheers!

T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFF2P8fInI

Well Andy plays a Tele but it has a humbucker in the rythym position. I think a Strat should do it just fine.

The effect is chorus. You want to get a good chorus pedal. There are lots of brands and price ranges. I guess the question is what are you looking to spend on a chorus pedal?

The MXR M134 Stereo Chorus has a suggested Police Setting in the Owners Manual.

Here's a link to the manual.

I just use it at my favorite setting when My band does "Every Breath You Take", I think it sounds like the Police and the Audience seems to buy it. I generally keep mine at Bass 1:00, Teb 2:00. Intensity 10:00, Width 10:00, Rate 10-11:00. Makes for a nice "Thick but Subtle" chorus.

No problem but don't limit yourself to just Boss.

Also it's a good idea to try before you buy. If that's not possible, you should at least do as much research as possible (YouTube, Harmony Central, et cetera)

As I said in the other chorus pedal thread, my friend got a Boss chorus without trying one out first or doing research and he really regrets it. We both hate the pedal.

How would you sound close to Andy Summers? I would think a flange or chorus or am I way off? Maybe a bit of delay?

Yes. All three. He rarely played with out them. Some speculate that the "Message..." tone on the record was the Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress which mixes flange and chorus. It's a killer pedal regardless, so you might start there.

Tman, your strat will do; the others are right about the chorus. You will want a delay pedal for parts as well..I'm not quite sure why you don't already have at least a small collection of pedals Tman ...(?)...MXR's Black Label chorus is a nice one, but there are lots of good choices and some bad choices out there; same with delay units. BBE has a nice Two Timer delay ( and sonic stomp ) pedal. I saw your video, so I know you play well...And you had the thread about SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE, and you were trying to nail the sound down, so you do take care in trying to nail the tones down...I have a V-Sound pedal that has both chorus and echo; echo being similar to delay, but I haven't used it much, so I can't vouch how well it would do for a POLICE sound...I also prefer pedals new and not used, and no one pays list price these days....Delta Labs has pedals for cheap, but I've never tried them. Expect to pay around $70 to $180ish for each; delay and chorus..Of course, you can spend up to $1000.00 and more for pedals, but thats not your thing...Danelectro has some inexpensive pedals that sound OK.....The choice is very subjective.....Andy Summer's playing, in my view, is similar to the Edge's playing; It sounds easy to play their songs, and it is, but nailing their TONES down is another matter Tman..I consider both players 'soundscape' artists as much as I consider them guitarplayers...There is a recent POLICE DVD that you might find useful in watching and playing along with to help you; Afterall, if you guys are going to cover one POLICE song, you may very well end up playing other POLICE songs !!! Good luck Tman.....

( When you are bored, I mentioned you in my post on the Happy Gibson Story Thread )......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ...Andy uses flange pedals as well..

Tman, just did a quick internet search...I'll let you do your own; Seems he eventually had a multi effects pedal built for him. Reality isTman, when one really thinks about it, all these famous players change effect units, amp brands, guitar brands and models, and yet still manage to maintain their own signature sound !!! As such, it is probably pointless to copy what they use anyways...Hmm...The Boss GT-10 is an amazing unit, got me one myself.....Many players won't use these type of units out of fear that they color their sound too much, but the reality is that the GT-10 can be as complicated as you want it to be and or as simple as you want it to be. IT CAN BE USED AS A SMALL EFFECTS CHAIN WITHOUT USING THE PREAMP IN IT, which takes a bit of learning and practice. Using it this way WILL NOT color your sound in any way.......Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.......Hope this helps.......This my " Posting in a Thread Thing. "..........

Archived