Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Slash AFD Les Paul

midiman56

We got in the first two Epiphone Slash Appetite For Destruction Les Paul’s in at the store today. Unfortunately, after unpacking the guitars, we discovered that there was only one playable unit left. One of the guitars had a badly cracked neck and was being immediately returned to the distribution center. Can’t really blame Epi for that one, I’m sure it didn’t leave the factory that way … still a bit disappointing. That only leaves 2999 for people to purchase!

During my lunch break, I took the remaining model for a spin so I could give you guys a few initial impressions:

Weight-wise, the guitar is mid-rangy. Not as light as a chambered Ultra, but not quite as heavy as an Epi LP Standard either. If you remember the Slash Goldtop of a couple of years ago, it’s about in that range.

IMG_0010.jpg

Visually, the guitar is just okay. As you can see by my cell-phone photos, the book matching on the maple veneer top is nothing to write home about. There is a real “light side/dark side” look to the top of this guitar. The build on the guitar was generally pretty good, but there was a tiny bit of over-spray on the binding on the inner cut-away. The rest of the guitar was pretty well put together … straight knobs, lined up tuners, etc.

Maybe I’ve just gotten used to a satin finish on the neck, but this guitar has more of the “dipped in plastic” feel than I have experienced in quite a while … it just seems as if the poly on this one was applied really thickly! Of course, it has the usual Slash “scribbling” on the headstock which I find unattractive as well as distracting.

IMG_0012.jpg

Now for the important stuff: this guitar plays and sounds GREAT! Seriously guys, the set-up on this one right out of the box is among the best I’ve ever had my hands on … and that includes my Gibby Les Paul that is PLEK’d! The neck profile is kind of hard to pigeon hole … more like a 60’s taper than anything else … but not quite. It’s not asymmetrical either … you’ll have to grab one to see for yourself. Suffice it to say I found it pretty comfy and one of those necks I could very easily get used to.

In the short time I had, I played the guitar through a Vox ac30, a Marshall Class 5 and a Fender Twin. It sounded very good through all three amps. The Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups fall somewhere in between the sound of the Gibson Dirty Fingers and the 57 PAF/Burstbucker 3 combo to my ears. Nice and crunchy with a lot of warmth. Maybe it’s a combination of these pups and the long neck tenon … on the Marshall in particular, this guitar had sustain for days! Very, VERY nice!

IMG_0011.jpg

So … the big question is: $999 for an Epiphone (with case and assorted Slash goodies). Like I said, looks-wise I am not overly impressed but it is certainly a player. A thousand bucks puts you within striking distance of a genuine Gibson Les Paul (albeit a Plain Jane Studio model). I guess if you are a die-hard Slash fan then the answer is an easy one. For those of us that are just looking for the best guitar for our hard-earned dollar, then the choice becomes a bit more difficult. I’d love to see Epiphone put out more guitars of this apparent quality without the “celebrity signature” nonsense. It’s obvious that they can make a great guitar and have done so time and time again. I think they need to pay a bit of attention to their price-points and remember who their customer is. Otherwise, it is very encouraging to see this quality with the name Epiphone on the headstock!

Hope this was of some interest to you folks. It was a fun half hour for me!

Jim

Great review Jim, I'm not a fan of signature guitars either, like you mention, if they can produce a decent sig git, why not apply the same quality to some of their other efforts.

And it seems a disappoitment the top wasn't better figured and that they feel the need to "dip them in plastic", when will they learn that less is more as regards gloss coats.

I have been waiting for this Slash Epiphone to come out. I am conflicted over the exact question mentioned in the initial post-do I spend $1000 on an Epiphone or do I go for a Gibson LP? I had purchased the other two Slash signatures. I feel somewhat obligated to continue collecting them together, but then again, if they release one every year for 10 years-I can't afford that many Slash signatures. I have found many pros and cons to the last Slash signature Epiphones I did purchase. The quality/craftsmanship of the guitars really concerns me. I have another Epiphone from a few years back, the hardware never tarnished or got foggy. The Slash Epiphones tarnished within a year. So I know the plating on the metal is not like it was a few years prior. I would assume the value of the guitars dropped just due to the cosmetic aspect...The gold top Slash is actually one of my favorite ones to use. Eventhough it came with a defective treble/bass switch, otherwise, it is pretty good! The other signature I rarely pull out. So with this in mind, do I want to splurge for the sake of having the next Slash Epiphone? I am so divided. Because I have always wanted a nice Gibson LP. And after seeing the quality of the previos Slash signatures, I am convinced that they are not really a $1000 guitar! I wouldn't really look to pay more than $700 with a case included. Just my thoughts...I am not knocking the Slash signatures. Just feel they could be more affordable than the price of a low-end Gibson...

Thanks midiman56 for your revivew and the pictures!

Jim,

Thank you for the review.

I was really looking forward to this guitar (I still am) but it hasn't arrived in any of the local guitar shops near me.

You are quite right in regards to the pricing.

Why, indeed, pay close to a Gibson Les Paul Studio?

Or, in fact, if it is a Gibson LP faded, the Epi AFD is about the same price.

At Thomann, the Epi LP AFD is listed as 688 euros.

As it happens the Gibosn LP Studio 50's Tribute is only 80 euros more.

And at Musicstore, the Gibson LP Studio Limited (only in worn brown and worn cherry - similar to the faded series) are 648 euros.

So actually cheaper than the Epi.

Makes one think, doesn't it?

Once again, thank you for the review.

I'll still need to play it :-)

Why, indeed, pay close to a Gibson Les Paul Studio?

Or, in fact, if it is a Gibson LP faded, the Epi AFD is about the same price.

At Thomann, the Epi LP AFD is listed as 688 euros.

As it happens the Gibosn LP Studio 50's Tribute is only 80 euros more.

And at Musicstore, the Gibson LP Studio Limited (only in worn brown and worn cherry - similar to the faded series) are 648 euros.

So actually cheaper than the Epi.

Makes one think, doesn't it?

That's always been sort of the big question regarding the more expensive Epiphone Les Paul models:

Say you have $800. Now that will buy you a top-of-the-line Epiphone ... your Prophecy, your Black Beauty, your Custom, and (most!)any of the Special Tributes and Limited models. Now take the same $800 and look at Gibson ... you get what is pretty much an unfinished plank of wood in the shape of a Les Paul, but made in Nashville with the name Gibson on the headstock. Now, I know that 50's Tribute that nobody seems to be able to buy is out there too, but let's limit the conversation to what is readily available!

The question is, is that Gibson really that much better, or is the name on the headstock worth giving up all of the "bling" of the Epiphone model? Back when there were Epi Elitist Les Pauls, the question was even more difficult. These were, by all measure, incredible and beautiful guitars for the price of your standard issue Gibson Studio ... but they were still Epiphones!

Clearly this is a question with no answer. To some of us, the Epi is the obvious choice, To others, "Only A Gibson Is Good Enough"!

I'm curious to hear whay you guys think about this ... without starting up another tired old "Epiphone vs Gibson" debate. Also, if we could, let's stick to new instruments and not clog up the question with talk of used stuff. Let's just talk about the merits of each brand and the "bang for the buck" aspect ... it cuts both ways. [biggrin]

Jim

Well Jim,

Let me put it another way.

If I compare the Epi LP AFD to the Gibson, then Epi always.

Not just for the price, really, but because the price/quality ratio is better on the Epi side.

Now, say you compare a Gibson LP Studio like the one I mentioned in the previous post with the Epi LP AFD or Tribute or the 1959 or the Prophecy then we're in trouble.

All of them are around the same price, the finish is generally very good and the pickups and electronics are Gibson or at Gibson standard (Burstbuckers, SD Alnico II Pro, Dirty Fingers, EMGs). The caps are better than regular Epis, the switches are Switchcraft etc etc.

At this point, it is a matter of taste.

That is why I'm so inclined towards the AFD.

And that's why I have a 1959 (which is, by the way, the best guitar I own when you look at price/quality).

I don't care that much about what's on the headstock but I'd love to have a Les Paul in Korina... (and Gibson did a gorgeous one, just not in my price range)

And I already have the guitar of my dreams, the Gibson Les Paul Standard in my sig.

Higher-end Epiphones rival Gibson Les Paul Studios, and they are certainly not worse.

The only real difference is the paint used (poly vs nitro) and I am still not convinced that it justifies the difference in price.

But that's just me.

But I still want that Gibson 50's Tribute baaaaaad...

Sorry, I'm hungry and I can't seem to make up my mind.

Going for lunch :-)

I like Epi's. That's all I've owned, until I bought my first Gibson Std. Trad. Plus last January. The reason I did that was exactly because the Epi's were getting up there in price, i.e., $1,000 +/-. I traded two Epi's and with the 15% discount, walked out the door for $1,550. It doesn't pretend to be a 50's anything or a guitar hero's guitar either. How much do those guys get from each guitar with their name on it anyway? The Gibson LP cured my gas for all the new upgraded Epi LP's that state to have the features of the real deals. I figure I'm saving money now, because I don't feel the need to hurry out and get another Les Paul everytime a new one comes along. Plus, I'll never make it sound as good as they guy who's name is on the headstock anyway. But it sure is fun to look at the new ones coming out :rolleyes:

I too would rather have a high end Epi than a low end Gibby. I've owned a few Studio models and the only one I really cared for was a Les Paul Studio Lite that I had. I have owned my share of Gibbys but the name on the headstock dont mean squat to me. I want the best sounding, most playable guitar that I can get for my money. That usually means either a nice Epi or a MIM Fender,

• 7 months later...

I don't mean to dig an old thread, but I would like to thank the OP, midiman56 for putting the short review.

Most likely (well.. certainly), I will be getting this. ETA, Friday next week. I have never buy something like this before. I usually, like to touch and play a guitar before making a purchase, but I am making an exception for this one.

This will be my first LP. I hope it will be love at first sight/play.

I don't mean to dig an old thread, but I would like to thank the OP, midiman56 for putting the short review.

Most likely (well.. certainly), I will be getting this. ETA, Friday next week. I have never buy something like this before. I usually, like to touch and play a guitar before making a purchase, but I am making an exception for this one.

This will be my first LP. I hope it will be love at first sight/play.

No problem at all, Riz ... we "raise the dead" here all the time ... and a pending "New Guitar Day" is always a good reason! [thumbup]

Since that time of my original post, we've gotten in a few more of the AFD's and I am very happy to say that finish on them were MUCH netter than the original unit I wrote about. More importantly, they all play and sound as wonderful as the first one did. For a guy getting his very first Les Paul, you are certainly starting out with a "top of the line" instrument.

Good luck with yours, and be sure to post pics as soon as you can tear yourself away from playing it!

Jim

:)

Yes it will be my first. I was looking into a used Gibson LP locally, as I don't buy my any guitars online. Price of a new one is a bit higher that what I am willing to spent on. While, the used, are always questionable in terms of its originality. In other words, most are fakes. I have asked around in Gibson lounge as I found one with reasonable priced used Gibson LP, and most of them turn out to be fake.

Come to think of it, I think I have made the right choice. I should start with Epi, to see how the guitar suits me. And if it does, a sensible upgrade to the bigger brother at some point, or when I travel to a place where buying a Gibson doesn't cost me to sell one of my kidneys.

In the meantime, I will be counting days. Next Friday seems so far away...

The Slash Gold Top was very tempting too, but it is priced a bit too high for an Epi IMO, so "Appetite" will fulfill my appetite for an LP for now.

Back when there were Epi Elitist Les Pauls, the question was even more difficult. These were, by all measure, incredible and beautiful guitars for the price of your standard issue Gibson Studio ... but they were still Epiphones!

Unfortunately, this is why the Elitist line was discontinued IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got mine today. I've been reading this and other forums trying to decide on a Gibson Les Paul Studio and the Epihpone AFD.

Now, I'm not an accomplished player like I'm sure many of you are - I've been playing acoustic for 20+ years tho - which is to say I can play, but I don't have the ear for electrics like some of you do...yet.

Anyway, I went with the AFD because, well, I confess it. I'm a fan...and this guitar, to me, just looks really nice. I played the Gibson LP Studio and the AFD at Guitar center through a few different amps and just came away enjoying the sound of the Epiphone AFD better. Of course I would have bought the Gibson AFD if I were willing to part with that kind of money. I'm not a payed musician. So...

I like it a lot after having it here at home a couple days. Frankly I was concerned about quality after reading all the negative stuff people say about Epiphone, but mine looks great and doesn't seem to have any issues. I had the guy at Guitar Center set it up for me the day I got it.

Nice guitar, and probably over priced because Slash's name is on it, but hey, that's one of the reasons I bought it.

Happy AFD day to both of you, GLR and Riz!

Like I said WAY back at the beginning of this thread, I consider this to be an excellent instrument ... very near the pinnicle of the Epi line of Les Pauls and certainly the equal to many of the Gibson models. Like ANY guitar, they will all benefit from a twist or two of a screw driver ... but the guts are all in there for some great music!

Congrats to you both!

Jim

Well.........I own Epi and Gibby guitars.......

I own Epi and Gibby Les Pauls.....I love both brands.....I tried out a couple of Gibby white studios; hated them; bought an Epi white studio, love it..

I still bought a Gibby studio, faded brown; great guitar.....I have a couple high end Gibby LPs; Love them, they're my main guitars....

I also have some other Epi Les Pauls....The OLDER ones are very close to my Gibby Pauls, except for the pickups.....

So, IMHO, a good guitar is a good guitar.....I just picked up a NEW Ash Tele; um, it needs a lot of work...It's a mess...

So, IMHO, a good guitar is a good guitar.....I just picked up a NEW Ash Tele; um, it needs a lot of work...It's a mess...

Congrats on the NGD. As the saying that goes around here, no photo, it didn't happen :P

I am thinking of getting a Tele as well. Darn.. there are so many that I 'want'

Archived