Gibson Brands Forums

Fake "Vintage" Epiphone Blue Labels

mydeadblues

More fake paranoia. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm the only person here who doesn't see a problem with it. It's meant to fool to the same degree that 'relic' parts are. If a sticker gives you more 'mojo' and 'vibe', knock yourself out.

Only a fool doesn't consult an expert before buying a vintage guitar. (Unless, of course, you buy it for next to nothing from a little old lady at a yard sale. Then it's definitely real.)

I agree. A guitar with a fake blue label will have other obvious clues to its true provenance and won't fool anyone who knows anything about vintage Epis.

I do appreciate the ability to buy some of these bits and pieces - I recently got a perfect Epiphone Pearl inlay for a resto I'm doing. I don't intend to con anyone, just want to put an old beauty back to its former (complete) grandeur.

I agree. A guitar with a fake blue label will have other obvious clues to its true provenance and won't fool anyone who knows anything about vintage Epis.

I do appreciate the ability to buy some of these bits and pieces - I recently got a perfect Epiphone Pearl inlay for a resto I'm doing. I don't intend to con anyone, just want to put an old beauty back to its former (complete) grandeur.

The problem in my opinion is that to sell them on ebay, anybody could be buying them in any quantity that they liked, and fake out a bunch of guitars, and sell them to those people who are not clued up. I do however agree that they should be for sale , but only over the counter at registered Epiphone dealers, leaving it to the common sense of the dealer to decide who should be allowed to buy them.

but only over the counter at registered Epiphone dealers

Oh, am I going to need a prescription too? Why would the company want you to restore an old guitar? They want you to buy a new one.

All I'm saying is: If you get rooked on a fake guitar, it's your own damn fault. There's so many resources available to prevent you from buying a fake, why don't people use them? I'm unsympathetic to those who are willfully ignorant on the subject.

Oh, am I going to need a prescription too? Why would the company want you to restore an old guitar? They want you to buy a new one.

All I'm saying is: If you get rooked on a fake guitar, it's your own damn fault. There's so many resources available to prevent you from buying a fake, why don't people use them? I'm unsympathetic to those who are willfully ignorant on the subject.

I agree that if you are gonna buy a guitar you need to play it and do a little homework first, but not every one does. Many people are honest trusting people that would never imagine that fakes of guitars would even exist. What about parents buying a graduation gift for their son, or a wife buying a gift for her husband, or a newcomer to the world of guitars.! When buying a second hand car there are a few sensible precautions that we take to make sure its not stolen, cut,n,shut or has outstanding finance etc but at least car thieves cant buy replacement VIN plates from eBay.

Blue label Epis are not the kind of guitars that uniformed people typically buy. If you're just starting out, you buy a new Epi, Yamaha, Seagull, low-end Martin or Taylor. And you buy it at Guitar Center or your local music shoppe.

The Blue labels are watched, discussed, verified or debunked on this and many other forums as soon as they show up on Craigslist or eBay.

Just like buying a Rolex or Gucci handbag from a street vendor, anybody who's dumb enough to pay big bucks for a guitar based on some vague mythology they haven't spent any time researching or verifying shouldn't be surprised if they get burned.

BTW, that pearl Epi logo I bought came from Europe, and the Epiphone decals I have coming in are from Mexico. Gibson's done a pretty good job of dicouraging folks from making and selling them in the US, so I don't think it's ever going to be much of a problem.

Humph! perhaps i'm being slightly over zealous about copy right [sad]

I mean, in theory, I could take a new "Inspired by 1964 Texan", slap a two screw truss rod cover on it, and find a rube to sell it to for two grand or so. There are two reactions I generally have to someone who buys a fake guitar. "Betcha won't do that again!" OR "You are so dumb. You are really dumb. Fo' real."

Maybe you are overzealous, but some people are just naturally more concerned than others. Maybe I'm being callous. I realize that in general people suck, so I tend to not care as much. The repro Blue Labels don't bother me that much.

What DOES piss me off is FAKE D'ADARRIO STRINGS. (Yes. You read that right.) I'm about to start a thread on that. It's ridiculous.

Speaking of labels.... about 5 years ago I was in a pawnshop and saw a beat to crap Epi acoustic and it had a "Kalamazoo" label inside the soundhole. I didn't know as much about guitars then, but I knew that "Made in USA" was a good thing. Anyway, like I said, it was in pretty rough shape, but I bought it for $120. Turned out to be one of the first acoustic models with the bolt-on neck that Epi made after they moved to Japan in the early 70's and apparently the just used the left over Kalamazoo labels until they were gone. After it was all said and done, I don't regret the purchase. I was way more naive about guitars then and I could have had something awesome for a really good price, but I ended up with a halfway decent acoustic for $120 and it has "character" LOL

Speaking of labels.... about 5 years ago I was in a pawnshop and saw a beat to crap Epi acoustic and it had a "Kalamazoo" label inside the soundhole. I didn't know as much about guitars then, but I knew that "Made in USA" was a good thing. Anyway, like I said, it was in pretty rough shape, but I bought it for $120. Turned out to be one of the first acoustic models with the bolt-on neck that Epi made after they moved to Japan in the early 70's and apparently the just used the left over Kalamazoo labels until they were gone. After it was all said and done, I don't regret the purchase. I was way more naive about guitars then and I could have had something awesome for a really good price, but I ended up with a halfway decent acoustic for $120 and it has "character" LOL

But you weren't really being ripped off. You bought exactly what you thought you were getting. A half-way decent, beat-up, pawn shop guitar.

By the way: My write-up on fake D'addario Strings I mentioned earlier is posted.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/58221-youre-not-gonna-believe-it/page__pid__785592#entry785592

But you weren't really being ripped off. You bought exactly what you thought you were getting. A half-way decent, beat-up, pawn shop guitar.

By the way: My write-up on fake D'addario Strings I mentioned earlier is posted.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/58221-youre-not-gonna-believe-it/page__pid__785592#entry785592

Good god! I guess people really will counterfeit ANYTHING to make a buck! [cursing] I hope they haven't gotten to Ernie Ball Slinkys yet! (specifically the 10-46 ones in the lime green pack lol)

My first post ever on this site was inquiry into a blue-label Matsumoku 6832 acoustic that was for sale nearby for $140.

I did a Google search, it led me here, and Ship, Zombywoof and TommyK on the acoustics forum told me exactly what it was and to go get it.

http://forum.gibson....__1#entry612089

I did, and I've worked hard to make it more playable, see here:

http://forum.gibson....__1#entry679289

(I can't call it a "restoration" because I made too many "mods" along the way. [biggrin] )

At the time, I had two guitars, and the 6832 made three.

Now I have thirty. So um, thank you Mr. Blue Label whoever your are, you are a world-class enabler...

My first post ever on this site was inquiry into a blue-label Matsumoku 6832 acoustic that was for sale nearby for $140.

I did a Google search, it led me here, and Ship, Zombywoof and TommyK on the acoustics forum told me exactly what it was and to go get it.

http://forum.gibson....__1#entry612089

I did, and I've worked hard to make it more playable, see here:

http://forum.gibson....__1#entry679289

(I can't call it a "restoration" because I made too many "mods" along the way. [biggrin] )

At the time, I had two guitars, and the 6832 made three.

Now I have thirty. So um, thank you Mr. Blue Label whoever your are, you are a world-class enabler...

That's the EXACT same model I have! (the version before you fixed it up). Mine looks just like that except someone replaced the tuners. It took me forever to find out what the heck it was. I went to 2 different music shops and they had no idea. One guy that works at the music store was as curious as I was so he finally took some pics of it and emailed them to Gruhn Guitars in Nashville and the mystery was finally solved.

Archived