Gibson Brands Forums

The Big Rock and Roll Show!

James Allen

So, I've been playing guitar for about 26 years, had a few jams, but never played in a band. My brother has a big band int he area, Grace Asylum, and they put on a big Christmas rock show last year, packed the house, about 400 folks.

I ran the light show . . . :angry:

This year, Grace Asylum has been asked to do the show for a two night gigecember 10 and 11. I've been asked to play rythm guitar! My first time on stage, packed house, laser light show, fog, BIG BIG BIG sound. All the musicians have been gigging for years.

Will I survive and rock the night away, or will I freeze and suffer a fate worse than death?

Do it, you'll love it !!!!!!!! 26 years and not a gig yet ????? Do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The number of folks in the audiance doesn't matter........

( When I played my first stadium show I thought it would be scary, and afterwords I was like, thats it? )

Everyone is gonna say do it !!!!!!!!!!!

You'll be fine.

Relax - don't sweat the little things.

Even if you screw up a little DON'T STOP PLAYING. Work thru it. Walk over to your drummer and get back in it.

Out of everyone in the band, the drummer has to know everything about the structure of the song and will get you back in tow.

Also, you might know you messed up, but 9x out of 10 the crowd will not - don't show it.

Above all - RELAX, enjoy yourself and kick that @$$!

You'll be fine.

Relax - don't sweat the little things.

Even if you screw up a little DON'T STOP PLAYING. Work thru it. Walk over to your drummer and get back in it.

Out of everyone in the band, the drummer has to know everything about the structure of the song and will get you back in tow.

Also, you might know you messed up, but 9x out of 10 the crowd will not - don't show it.

Above all - RELAX, enjoy yourself and kick that @$$!

This^^^^

[thumbup]

Thanks for the good replies, guys! I'm psyched about it and can't wait until the shows. I've been practicing with them and it is going great, having a blast.

The set will contain mostly original songs, with some Trans Siberian Orchestra songs because my bro is a TSO nut.

I admit that I am concerned that the light show, which will be amazing, may be a little distracting to me. Maybe I should play blindfolded . . .

I admit that I am concerned that the light show, which will be amazing, may be a little distracting to me. Maybe I should play blindfolded . . .

LOL - you won't have time to focus on that.

You'll be fine, most of the lights should be coming from behind you anyway. Enjoy the heat! [smile]

Edit: Watch out for those ones on the side stage that spin around and up tho (if they have those)- I got blinded in the face once, I saw spots for like 3 songs after that.

Actually the way I'd put it is keep most concentration on other band members and playing with them. That's a really good reason why an ensemble is easier than a solo gig after a long layoff.

Besides, it helps keep you rockin' with the band in more ways than one.

m

Archived