Gibson Brands Forums

Love Epiphones, but...

RUSHian

I've had a few Epiphones, nice guitars, but I hate the shape of the headstocks!!! Looks like a pregnant Gibson! Fender Squire guitars have the same design head stocks, why not Epiphone/Gibson?!!!

Epiphones (at least the arch tops) always had that big headstock, even before Epiphone was acquired by Gibson in the 50s. So this is "classic style", and the current Broadways, Emperors and Swingsters have pretty much the same headstock as classic Epiphone arch tops. The Epiphone Les Paul headstock is just a miniaturized version of that. Here's an arch top from 1949:

Epiphone_Zephyr_Emperor_Regent_49.jpg

I'm the opposite in that I think the Epi headstock looks better than the GIbson one, particularly on the LP where the smaller Epi design (as opposed to the larger Epi style) seems to be more of a balanced design.

I'm the opposite in that I think the Epi headstock looks better than the GIbson one, particularly on the LP where the smaller Epi design (as opposed to the larger Epi style) seems to be more of a balanced design.

I had an Epi Les Paul Special with Floyd Rose (licensed. didn't like the trem), and it wouldn't fit in the standard size Les Paul case, so I got a gig bag ( later sold the guitar)!!

I'm guessing the headstock on this Reverse Explorer is one we all can collectively scratch our heads and wonder what were they smoking when they came up with this one. #-o

Hehe. Neat. I didnt know they put those headstocks on a reverse Explorer. I've seen them on both the Gibson and Epiphone Modernes...which I believe is what that headstock was originally designed for.

I'm guessing the headstock on this Reverse Explorer is one we all can collectively scratch our heads and wonder what were they smoking when they came up with this one. #-o

reverseexplorer.jpg

I want, I want, I want [drool][drool][drool][love][love][love]

I thought it was the Orvilles that were available only for the Japanese market, and the Japanese Epi's with the open book headstock were just some of the earliest Epiphones produced in the east for the western market before changing to the more usual headstock we are used to.

If i am wrong then someone please educate me !

how? if you compare the two guitars, the sg joins on the 22nd fret that explorer joins on the 20th

reverseexplorer.jpg

273860.jpg

The horn or cutaway on most of the guitars i have owned gets in the way, I place my hand on the neck in a classical style with my thumb pad on the center back of the neck and use all my fingers, unfortunately this means that the heel of my left hand dunts against the point of the horn unless i reach my whole fore arm over the horn, or flatten my hand into a clumsy pinky-less ham and squeeze under.... My SG is one of the better ones for upper fret access, on my 24 fret Epi Spotlight, i can't play above the 15 without my hand becoming claustrophobic. ](*,)

Right, these were made for sale in Japan only. However you can sometimes find them used from japanese sellers on evilbay, or from people that imported them already from Japan.

They were also made identical to this in Korea in 1989, came with paper serial number stickers on the back. But I'm pretty sure the one pictured is Japanese because of the TRC

I thought it was the Orvilles that were available only for the Japanese market, and the Japanese Epi's with the open book headstock were just some of the earliest Epiphones produced in the east for the western market before changing to the more usual headstock we are used to.

If i am wrong then someone please educate me !

There were some Epiphone Orvilles made in Korea for the US market. But the desirable Gibson Orvilles were made in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia....ville_by_Gibson

Archived