Gibson Brands Forums

Was this buyer scammed?

McBarry

Come to think of it, we hadn't seen a fake 'Suprome' for quite a while.

Thanks for refreshing our memories.

P.

P.S. This should be made a 'Sticky' for those wishing to know exactly what a fake Gibson Supreme looks like.

Hi V, maybe scammed was the wrong word.. buying a fake was what I meant..

I just didn't want to label it as such in case there were rosewood fretboard, frets possibly over bindings, headstock design and other variations I wasn't aware of..

But I certainly am not an expert on the Supreme..

D

Binding not over the frets.

:(

Pretty guitar, though. I still say it's a shame they don't just sell them under their own brand. Seems to be going out of their way to be dishonest.

Hondo made some excellent copies, all sold under the Hondo name, f'rinstance.

/sigh

/shrug

I'm no expert, but I thought the binding was supposed to cover the ends of the frets.

If it was me, I'd pass on it... but not necessarily for that reason alone....

[biggrin]

It would be a comfort to all I think, if a definitive guide to "how to avoid fakes" were to be written by somebody, preferably Gibson. I feel sorry for whoever bought the first guitar for well over $2500. I mean what is it really worth, maybe $600 if that? I know some disreputable sites use other people's eBay shots to promote their wares but a bit of sleuthing can usually expose those. But for most of us, me certainly, I wouldn't know how to tell a really proficient fake from the real thing, especially in vintage guitars. Obviously, if the price stays low (let's watch the one I linked) then it is likely a fake but if prices go high like the first one, there is no clue. The fact is, whether it is desirable or not, people will continue to look for "bargains" and buy outside of the regular dealerships. Surely some sort of protection beyond "buyer beware" could be organised for little effort?

Edit: OK I'm learning I think... on the one I spotted, the inlays are too clunky and not the right size, the distance from the stop bar to the bridge is too wide, number of screws in the pickup surrounds (?) and the spacing of the knobs. That's what I've spotted so far. Also one of the pics shows what look like aftermarket stickers on the p/ups? Oh and the truss rod cover's wonky. Can't imnagine Gibson letting that out.

This page is not definitive but it's a good start by Gibson.

Yes it certainly is a good start and good on the young fella for dobbing in the seller. The problem will get worse as the Chinese and others get better at what they wish to replicate. I have no problems with replicas of anything providing they are sold as such. I have a few replica things which allow me to at least own a piece of design I would otherwise not be able to afford. I bought them as replicas and the workmanship on some things is actually outstanding but they are what they are and make no claims to be anything else. If I like what I buy and it delivers value for the money I paid in my opinion, it is an honest buy. But please don't put Gibson or any other recognised, respectable mark on it. There is only one reason for doing that and we all know what that is.

Yes it certainly is a good start and good on the young fella for dobbing in the seller. The problem will get worse as the Chinese and others get better at what they wish to replicate. I have no problems with replicas of anything providing they are sold as such. I have a few replica things which allow me to at least own a piece of design I would otherwise not be able to afford. I bought them as replicas and the workmanship on some things is actually outstanding but they are what they are and make no claims to be anything else. If I like what I buy and it delivers value for the money I paid in my opinion, it is an honest buy. But please don't put Gibson or any other recognised, respectable mark on it. There is only one reason for doing that and we all know what that is.

Hey, check the link again!! My link

Hey, check the link again!! My link

I'm not about to go into how to spot fakes.

I will, however, point out that the Les Paul Supreme has an Ebony fingerboard fitted as standard.

Any fingerboard which looks brown is almost certainly going to be a fake. You really don't need to spend more than one second to notice that detail.

If the instrument has a black fingerboard then there is a better chance that it is genuine but bear in mind it's not too difficult to stain a brown 'board black...

The Supreme is one of the most oft-copied Les Pauls out there - which is surprising as it has several unusual features which make spotting a fake very, very easy indeed.

P.

someon payed AU $50,100.00 for a fake gibson

Actually, probably not. On eBay, if it is a scam and gets out of control, the bidding goes way above what the scammer intended, they will bid themselves or get some friend to do it and take the bidding beyond anybody's sensible reach. That way the auction ends and nobody is the wiser.

I think this is what happened here. Or the guy that bought it was a prize mug!

Hey can you guys help with this, The guy is calling a 57 although checking the date with the Guitar dater project it says 70-71-72 so is it a 57 and is it real?

http://cgi.ebay.com....=item5d2ba9a54a

Also this one seems dodgy to me. No case noted or pix taken of and only accepts cash

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Gibson-Les-Paul-Supreme-Desert-Burst-Guitar-/110618839276?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item19c16588ec

Fake alright--> rosewood fretboard, wrong cutaway, wrong bindings, wrong bridge, wrong shaped headstock, serial number, stamped in after lacking etc.

Fake alright--> rosewood fretboard, wrong cutaway, wrong bindings, wrong bridge, wrong shaped headstock, serial number, stamped in after lacking etc.

That's the same guitar back again. You know, the one that reached $50,000? Walk quietly away man.

Archived