Gibson Brands Forums

GAS attack - Boss pedal

MojoRedFoot

I know this is very out of character for me but I am asking for your input. I hope the store has one in stock but somehow I feel like they won't so I'll reach out here. Gonna visit GC and Sam Ash and try it IF they have one.

Does anyone have any experience with this pedal? I generally do not use pedals but for cleans I like to add a littler more than just reverb.

boss-ce-20-chorus-ensemble.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three years or so ago I was shopping pedals... the Boss Chorus was on my "to do" list.

The CE-20 was an excellent pedal, but for my needs, I couldn't jusify the additional cost over the CE-5.

I pulled the trigger on the CE-5, and use it constantly.

Hope this helps!!

Three years or so ago I was shopping pedals... the Boss Chorus was on my "to do" list.

The CE-20 was an excellent pedal, but for my needs, I couldn't jusify the additional cost over the CE-5.

I pulled the trigger on the CE-5, and use it constantly.

Hope this helps!!

I'll definitely look for that pedal. The CE5 did not score as high on harmony central but something else to look at.

I too have a CE-5 and I recommend it.

The thing about internet reviews is it's a ratio of typically 5-1 bad comments to good. People typically just like to complain. So if you get one good comment out of every 5 bad ones online that's not too bad.

Of course if you get recommendations from established forum members who own them, that's also a plus :P

I went and did some quick research for you... the CE-5 has been discontinued.

Looks like the CE-20 is more programmable, which would likely suit your needs as a live performer more.

Let me know what you think when you've looked into them!

Good Hunting!!

The ce-2 is an awesome chorus. I have a ce-3 which is basically a ce-2 with stereo chorus.

I'll probably get slammed for this but I have to say... the ce-20 is a terrible pedal IMO. My friend that I was in 2 bands with had one and we both hate it. It's just not very good sounding. I don't even know why. We didn't even consider using it in any songs because it totally detracts from the tone. We tried all kinds of settings. We got some decent sounds but nothing that wouldn't sound better without it.

Your milage may vary.. I strongly recommend the smaller version. The ce-20 looks like it's better but IMO it's not at all.

The ce-2 is an awesome chorus. I have a ce-3 which is basically a ce-2 with stereo chorus.

I'll probably get slammed for this but I have to say... the ce-20 is a terrible pedal IMO. My friend that I was in 2 bands with had one and we both hate it. It's just not very good sounding. I don't even know why. We didn't even consider using it in any songs because it totally detracts from the tone. We tried all kinds of settings. We got some decent sounds but nothing that wouldn't sound better without it.

Your milage may vary.. I strongly recommend the smaller version. The ce-20 looks like it's better but IMO it's not at all.

This is good to know!

Glad I got the CE-5!!

Sam Ash has the CE5 in stock but not the CE20 (would have to order). I tried both since they at least had the demo for the CE20. I like the CE5 just fine but the CE20 does have more to offer for me: presets. In a live setting would come in handy since sometimes I like a little chorus and sometimes I like a lot. Torn but really leaning towards the CE20.

This pedal looks like it is for somebody who uses chorus a lot. Are you a heavy chorus user?

I have a Marshall modulation pedal that has vintage and modern chorus, flanger, phaser and vibe and it is great for the ocassional use of those effects.

(not the flanger. I traded that one away, but I'm not a big flanger fan :) )

Same here. I used to use flanger a lot but I switched to chorus. So I'm definitely gonna walk away with 2 pedals this weekend: The OC3 ($119) octave for sure and either the CE5 ($79) or CE20 ($169).

This pedal looks like it is for somebody who uses chorus a lot. Are you a heavy chorus user?

I have a Marshall modulation pedal that has vintage and modern chorus, flanger, phaser and vibe and it is great for the ocassional use of those effects.

When I play clean I always use reverb and a little chorus. Sometimes a lot of chorus. Which is why I'm really leaning towards the CE20.

+1. I've got this and an Arion Chorus pedal. Both are great(the Arion has a great "Leslie" setting)

Arion made some great sounding FX, just really cheap enclosures, so I got rid of them all once I was able to start affording Boss pedals.

LOL - I wish I knew how popular the old Arion stomps would become, I had almost all of them. Now they are ebay gems.

Even more so, I wish I still had those old Ross effects. I had the original Ross Phaser and Compressor - I would kill to have those back now. [glare]

Arion made some great sounding FX, just really cheap enclosures, so I got rid of them all once I was able to start affording Boss pedals.

LOL - I wish I knew how popular the old Arion stomps would become, I had almost all of them. Now they are ebay gems.

Even more so, I wish I still had those old Ross effects. I had the original Ross Phaser and Compressor - I would kill to have those back now. [glare]

I've thought about making new enclosures for a few pedals. I know what you mean by cheap enclosures.

Archived