Gibson Brands Forums

zack wylde model

notaplayer

dem00n, I'm not sure about the pots, but why would the switch and input jack need to be swapped?

I'm willing to bet no woodwork is required, so the electrical part is pretty straight-forward.

Keeping with dem00n's advice, I would recommend completely gutting the guitar and keeping the ZW harness intact.

You could re-install it later, or Ebay it to somebody with a ZW fixation and a donor Les Paul.

They might pay stupid money for it, eh?

No matter, you'll be looking at 4 pots, a selector and a new jack.

Don't go cheap - use Switchcraft or such...

Oh, and two pickup rings might be part of the equation too.

The EMGs require different pots switches and jack because they are active pickups. Just another reason I don't like active pickups...

RSguitarworks has some sweet electronics kits already prewired. Pretty much a drop in replacement you just need to solder in the pickups and ground wire. They're top knotch and will make your guitar sound and work better.

The EMGs require different pots switches and jack because they are active pickups. Just another reason I don't like active pickups...

RSguitarworks has some sweet electronics kits already prewired. Pretty much a drop in replacement you just need to solder in the pickups and ground wire. They're top knotch and will make your guitar sound and work better.

Thanks

dem00n, I'm not sure about the pots, but why would the switch and input jack need to be swapped?

I'm willing to bet no woodwork is required, so the electrical part is pretty straight-forward.

Keeping with dem00n's advice, I would recommend completely gutting the guitar and keeping the ZW harness intact.

You could re-install it later, or Ebay it to somebody with a ZW fixation and a donor Les Paul.

They might pay stupid money for it, eh?

No matter, you'll be looking at 4 pots, a selector and a new jack.

Don't go cheap - use Switchcraft or such...

Oh, and two pickup rings might be part of the equation too.

Thanks

Im not so sure either, i do know its because of the high needs of active pickups.

I also agree with going with RS stuff.

Now whats up with all the thanks...?

This^^^

Post count.

[thumbup]

[confused] ......................[flapper] .......................[rolleyes] ..........................[scared] .............................[woot] ............................................eusa_clap.gif .......................................................................[lol]

is it true that the wylde model has a "bare" neck? i'e bare wood not polished/coloured?, my superviser at work is also a guitar builder/tech and he has one at the moment that the owner asked him to set up for him...he says the neck is bare wood oiled?

is it true that the wylde model has a "bare" neck? i'e bare wood not polished/coloured?, my superviser at work is also a guitar builder/tech and he has one at the moment that the owner asked him to set up for him...he says the neck is bare wood oiled?

Some Wylde LP models have an oiled maple neck set into a mahogany body. Some don't.

[lol] LOL - no matter what guitar forum I go to, it's the same old myths over the mysterious EMG active pickups.

The EMG pickups are the same size as any standard covered humbucker that will fit in any Gibson spec / std humbucker route.

They are drop-in replacements. Hell you don't even have to solder hardly anymore with the new clips.

(Edit - actually, the new ones are all solderless now using PC style wire connections)

EMG active pickups require 25k pots, so those will need to be replaced, but you're in luck because EMG provides all the hardware you need.

You do NOT have to change the toggle selector switch ( :blink: ) or the even the jack (although EMG provides one).

I love reading post about "and that's why I hate them" yet they really don't know what it is they hate, I just don't like green eggs and ham. :-({|=[lol][laugh]+:-@

So, to pull the EMGs and put in passive humbuckers, all you will need are the pickups and pots. No routing or anything should be required.

[lol] LOL - no matter what guitar forum I go to, it's the same old myths over the mysterious EMG active pickups.

The EMG pickups are the same size as any standard covered humbucker that will fit in any Gibson spec / std humbucker route.

They are drop-in replacements. Hell you don't even have to solder hardly anymore with the new clips.

(Edit - actually, the new ones are all solderless now using PC style wire connections)

EMG active pickups require 25k pots, so those will need to be replaced, but you're in luck because EMG provides all the hardware you need.

You do NOT have to change the toggle selector switch ( :blink: ) or the even the jack (although EMG provides one).

I love reading post about "and that's why I hate them" yet they really don't know what it is they hate, I just don't like green eggs and ham. :-({|=[lol][laugh]+:-@

So, to pull the EMGs and put in passive humbuckers, all you will need are the pickups and pots. No routing or anything should be required.

Ok i have a question.

The jack that EMG gives you...doesnt it work better for the EMG's then the regular jack on the guitar?

Ok i have a question.

The jack that EMG gives you...doesnt it work better for the EMG's then the regular jack on the guitar?

I have never needed to replace my jack on any active EMG installation I have ever done since the late 80's. The jack EMG provides is a standard jack.

I guess if your existing jack is crap, use it. It's a quality jack. If you have to replace it now, it may only be due to the new solderless system

and the new jack could have some kind of connector on it, but I just went to the website and it still looks like the standard jack they provided previously.

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/3/148/1

Archived