Gibson Brands Forums

What is Gibson smoking?

Supersonic

I know this is a Gibson and not an Epi, but I just ran across it. Have you guys seen this crazy new Firebird??? It could possibly be one of the ugliest guitars I've ever seen lol. Seriously Gibson, you should really start making Epi Firebirds again instead of overpriced insane things like this!

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Firebird/Gibson-USA/Firebird-X.aspx

Super there was an earlier thread about it when it was released.

There wasnt much positive to be said anywhere in general about this truly facked up idea.

Bigneil the switches are for inbuilt effects, such as distortion and compression

I don't like the Epi firebird, it's just too ugly, and that awful looking headstock is barf.

This one has a more handsome 3 a side headstock and the body is reverse from the epi ... still ugly, but less offensive looking than the epi firebird.

I'd buy a low tech version without effects and robo tuners.

I don't like the Epi firebird, it's just too ugly, and that awful looking headstock is barf.

This one has a more handsome 3 a side headstock and the body is reverse from the epi ... still ugly, but less offensive looking than the epi firebird.

I'd buy a low tech version without effects and robo tuners.

It's Mr. Henry J.'s take on what the Customer really wants.

He is very in tune with the needs of the customer/consumer.

His groundbreaking ideas are a catalyst of things to come from Gibson.

One small leap for the man, a huge look into the future of Gibson guitars.

Honestly guys, how many $5000 guitars were you planning on purchasing this year anyway?

Gibson will sell every one of this limited edition before they even hit the shelves. GC has sold out it's entire allocation ... and it's not out for another 11 days! We weren't even going to get one in our store, and now one can't even be ordered. I'm sure it's a pretty similar situation with every other retailer that is carrying the silly thing!

So ... all in all, I'd say that it has been a pretty successful product launch for Gibson. If you don't like it, congratulations ... you'll never get the chance to play one (unless you dentist, doctor, lawyer or stockbroker happens to be one of the chosen few to own one of these things).

Let it GO! Gibson is still making the old tride-and-true models.

Jim

But at least it looks like a Firebird. The Firewood X doesn't even look like a normal Firebird.

And to answer the OP's question: Weed. Lots of it.

Honestly guys, how many $5000 guitars were you planning on purchasing this year anyway?

Gibson will sell every one of this limited edition before they even hit the shelves. GC has sold out it's entire allocation ... and it's not out for another 11 days! We weren't even going to get one in our store, and now one can't even be ordered. I'm sure it's a pretty similar situation with every other retailer that is carrying the silly thing!

So ... all in all, I'd say that it has been a pretty successful product launch for Gibson. If you don't like it, congratulations ... you'll never get the chance to play one (unless you dentist, doctor, lawyer or stockbroker happens to be one of the chosen few to own one of these things).

Let it GO! Gibson is still making the old tride-and-true models.

Jim

Jim it ain't the guitar so much as the terrible presentation. First, the "history-making, world-changing" hype, then the smashing of the G310, then the "luddite" comment, and to top it all off, a horriblly boring and long-winded unveiling (yes I did watch it for as long as I could stand it).

It was condescending, insulting, and worst of all - anti-climactic.

I'm sure Henry will sell hundreds of those things, maybe even as many as Godin sells of their Multiac series, or Line 6 sells of their Variax. But they could have easily done it without spitting in the eye of the overwhelming majority of their loyal fans - you know, the ones who play "luddite" guitars.

Or in my case, something even better than Gibson... made in the US of A..... by hand... set up properly to the buyer's spec....beautiful to look at....superbly well appointed......ridiculously easy to play.....fantastic sounding....

Well, Brian ...

I'll agree with your accessment of the big "event" that introduced the Firebird X. It was good, old Henry J. trying to put a bit of Steve Jobs "razzel-dazzel" into the mix. Unfortunately, the presentation, as you say, was unexciting and ill-prepared ... and I know Steve Jobs, Henry ... you're no Seve Jobs. The bottom line is that the product did not justify the hype... but when does it ever?

The guitar breaking thing ... just more ill-conceived "show-biz". I don't like to see anyone breaking guitars.

As to the "luddite" comments that everyone is making such a big stink about, I'll just reprint this excerpt of an eye-witness account of the event, originally published on Harmony Central:

"Attached is the audio excerpt containing the infamous 'Luddite' reference. (This is why I’ve gotten in the habit of recording press conferences and other meetings.) You can hear that Henry is clearly not disparaging his customer base when he repeats the word 'Luddite,' but is playing off that term, previously introduced by an audience member. And in the context of his answer, he’s actually defending that so-called group by explaining why Gibson will still continue to make guitars for them (“It’s all about choice ...”). Dang, the forums can be snarky (remember my editorial 'It’s a short ride from masked ball to hooded mob'). BTW, the person asking the question was actually Jay Jay French--one of the guest artists and a Gibson ally."

So ... as usual I come off like a Gibson fan-boy every time I speak to this subject. I don't really care! Gibson has a right and a responsibility to explore new tech in the area of guitars and to do whatever it can to ensure that it maintains market share and attracts newer, younger players that might not be as attracted to the same instruments that it has been manufacturing for that last half century or more.

I just don't get all the anger and poison being spewed around here over one stinking guitar. Don't like it? DON'T F**KING BUY IT!

Jim

I don't think you come off like a Gibby fan-boy and thank you for clarifying the luddite comment, I stand corrected. I just wish companies like Gibson would spend more time strengthening their core business and products, and less time and money on blingey fringe stuff.

As has been pointed out earlier, there are several excellent-quality, affordable Gibson guitars in their lineup that are backordered (Les Paul 50's Tribute). Why not put the effort into those models?

Anyway, not to worry, a Firebird-X has no appeal to me - it will live or die on it's own merit, along with all the other gadgety stuff crowding the marketplace.

I think that it's uglier than sin,I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't at least use the reverse Firebird body style as that is 10 times more attractive and it's just a classic shape.It seems that lately the most novel and workable guitars are coming from Epiphone such as the coil-tapping Les Paul Traditional Pro-probably the most versatile guitar on the market today.It looks like that under Henry J. Juszkiewicz's watch the most questionable guitars have come to fruition such as The Dusk Tiger,The Dark Fire,The Hendrix"Gibson Strat",The Keifer Sutherland,The Jonas Bros.,The Robot. The guitars that rely on complicated mechanicals and electronics are destined to be plagued with problems if history is to repeat itself and once warranties are up the onus is on the owner of the guitars to get them fixed-most likely at the Gibson factory as the repairs would no doubt be too involved for the regular luthier or tech.It's time for Gibson to stop putting out these fiascos and spend more time developing or upgrading current products and not to waste so much money on research and developement of products that are obsolete by the time they come to market.The savings could then be passed on to consumers as Gibson prices are going through the roof.

The Keifer Sutherland

What??? [confused]

It's time for Gibson to stop putting out these fiascos and spend more time developing or upgrading current products and not to waste so much money on research and developement of products that are obsolete by the time they come to market.The savings could then be passed on to consumers as Gibson prices are going through the roof.

Bingo! I've been avioding the continued Firebird-X bashing because I said what I had to say in the first thread. But this is pretty much where my thoughts on this and the other boutique guitars lies. I do like the LP Pro-FX, but mainly for the "Pro" minus the FX.

I started this thread and I was not aware that I was "bashing" the guitar. I didn't know if others had seen it so I thought I'd share. I saw it, thought it looked horrendous, and wish they would concentrate on the older models more. If someone wants a guitar with features and capabilities so modern and advanced that it can blow up North Korea, then more power to them. I would personally never want one, but I appreciate the sage-like advice offered in one of the posts that said "Don't like it? DON'T F**KING BUY IT!". I think I would have bought it even though I don't like it if I had not read that. [rolleyes]

I started this thread and I was not aware that I was "bashing" the guitar.

So, you are late to the party then, eh? [biggrin] Thats ok, everyone is allowed one free bash at the Firebird-X. Now that you are up to speed, sit back, kick up your feet, get your popcorn and warm your hands by the flamewar. [lol]

It seems that lately the most novel and workable guitars are coming from Epiphone such as the coil-tapping Les Paul Traditional Pro-probably the most versatile guitar on the market today.

(and later in the post he added ...)

The savings could then be passed on to consumers as Gibson prices are going through the roof.

Just to be factual here, Bonzo: The Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro you speak of is a DIRECT copy of the Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro ... minus the PLEK'd fretboard and locking Grover Tuners ... and using Epi versions of the Burstbucker 3 and '57 PAF that are used in the Gibby version.

It is, as you say, a great guitar ... but certainly not original. In fact, I think I was the one that introduced the Epiphone model here in the forum when it first showed up in the store.

That, in a nutshell, is my point about all this palm-pounding over this silly Firebird X: Gibson is not abandoning any of their classic guitars in favor of going all "high-tech" on your a$$es. Have you even looked at the Gibson site? If you want to make fun of them, how about poking fun at the fact that they seem to release a new model Les Paul or SG with some player's name on it every week? These tech-y guitars make up a tiny niche in their product line ... namely a few guitars for early adopters with a lot of money.

Finally, if you think Gibson Guitars is ever going to produce a line of low-cost guitars (outside of the occasional Studio model, that is), then I should be asking what YOU are smoking! [biggrin]

Jim

Being innovative and experimental has been a Gibson tradition ever since Gibson decided to start working with Lester William Polsfuss a.k.a Les Paul. Les himself, apart from being a guitar player, he was also a madcap inventor who was not only a pioneer of early solid body electric guitars but also pioneered multitrack recording. He often re-wound his pick-ups and added switches and effects to his own personal instruments.

I'm not suggesting that Gibson has got it right, or wrong with the firebird x. but i think it is interesting and looks more attractive than a standard firebird, regardless of whether it was hyped up too much or whether the unveiling ceremony was a disater. If i had $5000 dollars to spend on a guitar right now, it would definitely be on my list of guitars to try out. [flapper]

I wasn't aware that Gibson made a Trad. Pro .I wasn't suggesting that Gibson produce a cheaper line of guitar- Epiphone has that covered quite nicely-the point I was making was that if they spent less money developing high priced guitars loaded with technical electronic and mechanical features they could quite possibly cut the prices on current guitars that are very expensive.You can get high quality Made in USA set neck guitars such as the PRS for much less than say a Les Paul and Gibson has to pass on the cost of R&D somewhere and that's most likely to the consumer as the techno guitars doubtfully make enough money to pay for themselves.I shudder to think what the Dark Fire or other tech loaded guitar would cost to repair once the warranty expired.An after warranty repair would most likely involve shipping the guitar off to Gibson for repairs as many techs wouldn't be familiar enough with these guitars to effect repairs.BTW someone posted that the current Epi Firebird was ugly,I have an '06 Custom Shop Firebird V done in a beautiful sunburst and it's very close aesthetically to the original '64 reverse body Firebird V.I must agree though that the worn cherry doesn't add to the guitar's looks in any way.

Being innovative and experimental has been a Gibson tradition

Does no one except me realize that this IS NOT an innovation? Companies have been sticking effects in guitars since the 70's. THE SEVENTIES!!!

The Electra NPC (and Outlaw bass) & Cort Effector come to mind...

Does no one except me realize that this IS NOT an innovation? Companies have been sticking effects in guitars since the 70's. THE SEVENTIES!!!

The Electra NPC (and Outlaw bass) & Cort Effector come to mind...

Yeah, I pointed that out in the first thread. There are some things in it that could be considered "innovative" because they are in a guitar; like Bluetooth. But on one hand the FX schtick has been done 100 times over and failed. And on the other hand, technology changes so rapidly that the software is probably already obsolete.

There were plenty of techno-guitars in the 60s too,I have a circa 1966 Vox Astro IV Violin Bass with built in Fuzz, Bass Boost,Treble Boost and E tuner.Vox made several models with very advanced yet in many cases repair prone effects.One guitar they made had the interior workings of a Vox Jaguar Organ with sensors in the frets to mix in an organ note with the guitar note played or just organ or guitar alone.My Astro IV has never given me a minute's trouble-knock on wood.

Archived