Gibson Brands Forums

Early Dylan......

onewilyfool

Dylan’s own Nick Lucas model has been variously reported as originating from 1929 and 1933. Its headstock logo — “The Gibson” — would indicate a guitar from the earlier era, although its 13-fret neck and flat-top pin bridge push it into the ’30s. Closer examination, in conjunction with reports made by those who have examined Dylan’s Gibson in person, reveal that the bridge is not original, but is in fact a Guild bridge that must have been added at a later date as a repair or a modification (Eyolf Østrem, Dylan’s Guitars). Nick Lucas models of the 1920s and ’30s were manufactured with dark sunburst finishes, so certainly its natural finish was not original, but all of the above details indicate it was most likely made in the early ’30s. Its current whereabouts are unknown (the artists would later resurface with a Gibson J-200 and a range of Martin models).

We think of Bob Dylan primarily as a singer-songwriter, but listen to these early recordings and his chops as a guitarist ring through. Dylan was a formidable finger picker, and the deep, full tone of his Nick Lucas proved easily up to the task of helping his fingerstyle playing project with punch and clarity, while giving plenty of warmth and zing to his flatpicking too. This was Dylan in his heyday, when his noted songcraft and punishing tour schedule were propelling him to legendary status, and this rare and unusual Gibson flat-top was with him every step of the way.

"We think of Bob Dylan primarily as a singer-songwriter, but listen to these early recordings and his chops as a guitarist ring through. Dylan was a formidable finger picker"

[bill Lumbergh voice] Uhm yeah, I'm just not sure about that? [/bill Lumbergh voice]

us-as-bill-lumbergh-office-space-6252954-603-453.jpg

I would say sixty1, 2 or 3 - don't know about 64, but it's definitely not 5 or 66.

[/font

With respect, the mighty Zim did not have the NLS til 63, so it couldnt have been 61-62. Let's say 64 and call it a day.

"Paul Hostetter gives another version of the same story: This guitar was sold to Bob Dylan by my friend Marc Silber at his shop, sometime in 1963. It replaced Dylan's old Gibson J-50, which was lost in action." http://dylanchords.info/professors/dylans_guitars.htm; and also here http://www.lutherie.net/model_h.html

These 2x6 suit each other so good - Guess it's a thrill to walk towards them and make your choice in the last second.

Joan B. is still an impressive woman* - of course she is. Looks as if she got herself a Collings version of the old Mart.

*(a noble player also) -

He was referring to Hibbing, MN, where he grew up.

Craig

I think not.......ot at least not if you know Martin Macarthy...

Origin of the song

The song was written following his first trip to England in December, 1962, upon what he thought to be the completion of his second album. The song is a tribute to a former girlfriend, Echo Helstrom who Dylan knew before leaving for New York. Dylan left England for Italy to search for his then-girlfriend, Suze Rotolo, whose continuation of studies there had caused a serious rift in their relationship. Unbeknownst to Dylan, Rotolo had already returned to the United States, leaving about the same time that Dylan arrived in Italy. It was here that he finished the song, ostensibly inspired by the apparent end of his relationship with Rotolo. Upon his return to New York in mid-January, he convinced Rotolo to get back together, and to move back into his apartment on 4th Street. Suze Rotolo is the woman featured on the album cover, walking arm in arm with Dylan down Jones Street, not far from their apartment.

While in London, Dylan met several figures in the local folk scene, including English folksinger Martin Carthy. "I ran into some people in England who really knew those [traditional English] songs," Dylan recalled in 1984. "Martin Carthy, another guy named [bob] Davenport. Martin Carthy's incredible. I learned a lot of stuff from Martin." Carthy exposed Dylan to a repertoire of traditional English ballads, including Carthy's own arrangement of "Scarborough Fair," which Dylan drew upon for aspects of the melody and lyrics of "Girl from the North Country," including the line from the refrain "Remember me to one who lives there, she once was a true love of mine". Musically, this song is nearly identical to his composition "Boots of Spanish Leather",[citation needed] composed and recorded one year later for the album The Times They Are A-Changin'.

I'm with Johnt - that's the story I remember from (I think) the Rough Guide....

Blimey Bob!

A Welshman siding with an Englishman ( mind you my grandfather used to be the schoolmaster at Dowlais top)

Shouldn't you now have the Milleinium Stadium as you logo.

I hear that the MS is further away from The Angel than the Arms Park used to be, handy on match days NOT!

All best!

Blimey Bob!

A Welshman siding with an Englishman ( mind you my grandfather used to be the schoolmaster at Dowlais top)

Shouldn't you now have the Milleinium Stadium as you logo.

I hear that the MS is further away from The Angel than the Arms Park used to be, handy on match days NOT!

All best!

Don't tell anyone - my Mum was born in Hampshire!

There's not much difference in distance from the Angel to either Stadium. In fact, the Mill. Stad's "proper" title is the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Arms Park - so the name will live on, if/when the Arms Park closes.

Cheers

I guess all of this is funny across the pond......lol.......you lost me......lol

Ha ha - think, er, USA/Canada and you may be getting close to the England/Wales or England/Scotland relationship....

The Angel is an old hotel right in the centre of Cardiff - it's looking a bit tired now, but in it's day was considered very upmarket. It also happens to be the closest hotel to the Millennium Stadium & Cardiff Arms Park - 2 rugby stadiums (stadia?), also right in the middle of the city.

Cardiff Arms Park is (and has been for many years) home to Cardiff Rugby Club (established in 1876) and is widly known throughout the rugby world.

http://www.cardiffrfc.com/

Immediately adjoining teh Arms Park is The Millennium Stadium, the international stadium opened in 1999 and is home to the national team in Wales. It's also an excellent venue for a variety of other events due to the ability to take the playing surface out and leave a concrete floor behind - and a sliding roof that can be closed to keep the elements out. We're fortunate that it attracts some huge artists (The Stones, Springsteen, U2, The Eagles, Paul McCartney, have all played there (among others).

http://www.millenniumstadium.com/

Archived