Gibson Brands Forums

We're not alone?

freak show

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the stuff that NASA says they pioneered would have been developed by real engineers for the real purpose that they really served. Every one of the things than Chan got off their website, like laser this and forestry that, is something that's not used by anybody except NASA. Every one of those technologies, from water purification to pool technology to laser angioplasty to pens to everything else - NASA was never a player in those technologies and never will be. Laser angioplasty - yeah, right. Not in forestry, not in pool technology, not in water purification, none of those listed. Nor are any of those systems commercially viable or are they used in any substantial capacity in the real world. NASA has never been a player in medical technology. If you want to make better lasers for use on earth, then do laser research on earth. Why would you ever do laser research in space?

The only thing that NASA is good at is rocketry and high speed aeronautics. I challenge anybody to find a popular commercial product that actually owes it's origins to NASA that justifies all the expense. They are not a player in anything, really. TANG is a perfect example.

And you have to subtract the value of all the useless technology that they spend millions on. Like how to take a dump in space or how to pee without it all floating around. Like how to grow a tomato plant or how a bubble blows in space.

Space exploration is no longer the face of technology in the US.

First off... let me start by providing my resources... http://www.thespacep...a/spinoffs.html

Frankly, it was the very top link in a Google search for "technological advances from Space exploration" Of particular note is that it isn't the NASA website.

For those keeping track, that would be erroneous statement #1 above. Now, I know that, for a lot of folks, anyone who leads off with mistaken info is likely to have their whole testimonial discounted, but I'm interested in finding out if there is any truth to these claims.

Being an engineer, I'm sure you'll be able to provide the links to prove that all those other "real engineers" were working on these advancements prior to NASA "not" developing them, and that they had ample funding to accomplish this. I'd also like to see the documentation backing up the claims that NASA had no hand in any of it.

Otherwise, I'm afraid it's just puffery... opinion stated as fact.

I think the fact that these technologies exist, and are directly attributed to the Space program, is pretty excellent proof that NASA had the engineering know how and the funding to pull it off.

I have a bit more information, but I'd like to see some corroborating support for the other perspective.

I'm sure its that they found traces of water somewhere or some bacteria...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you say this like it's no big deal.

Finding life on another planet (even trace amounts of bacteria) would be the biggest discovery ever made by the human race thus far.

But I'm sure you know that [tongue]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you say this like it's no big deal.

Finding life on another planet (even trace amounts of bacteria) would arguably be the biggest discovery ever made by the human race thus far.

But I'm sure you know that [tongue]

Fixed!

Puffery, sir.

I'd say discovering the workings of DNA and the use of stem cells medically surpasses extra-terrestrial traces of water.

But, I'd admit it was just an opinion.

Facts require proof; some substantiating evidence, not just "I said it, so it's true."

Bubba, you think discovering alien bacteria has more of an impact on humanity than the discovery of fire? Too far back? That was HUGE news back then..just no CNN to cover it. :)

Well it's the one question that humans have been asking themselves as long as long as they've been able to think.

While a discovery like this won't affect our daily lives directly, at least not right now, it would be a gigantic leap forward in understanding our place in the universe.

Well it's the one question that humans have been asking themselves as long as long as they've been able to think.

[confused]

Did I miss something? "Which is a bigger discovery: Alien bacteria or Fire?" is the one question humans have been asking themselves for as long as there has been thought?

[confused]

Did I miss something? "Which is a bigger discovery: Alien bacteria or Fire?" is the one question humans have been asking themselves for as long as there has been thought?

The question I was referring to is: "are we alone in the universe?"

Thought that would have been obvious.

It looks like the discovery is arsenic based DNA found on Earth.

NASA has found DNA with a makeup we never thought possible.

Zoom

Earlier this week we learned that NASA was gearing up to share some important information relating to an astrobiological discovery. Of course, our minds immediately turned to aliens. Still, deep down, we knew that NASA would not report that it had found Krypton, ALF, ET, or a Cylon war zone. No, though it would likely be something substantial, it would be altogether much more mundane than actual, real life, extraterrestrial aliens.

NASA's event is still a few hours away, but what would embargoed information be if there wasn't someone prepared to leak it a couple of hours in advance? Thanks to Dutch magazine NOS, we know that NASA has indeed found alien life. It's just not extraterrestrial.

Present in the toxic, arsenic-riddled Mono Lake in California is a type of bacteria with a DNA makeup we never thought possible. That is, the building blocks of life -- carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur – are not all present. As opposed to phosphorus, this bacteria's DNA uses arsenic.

So it's not extraterrestrial life, but it's definitely alien to us, as we thought absolutely everything was made up of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. The possibility of life outside this tiny, little planet we call home is now much more likely because we're not only looking for things with these specific building blocks.

More information will be available when NASA's press conference officially starts, at 2 p.m., so we'll keep you posted!

The question I was referring to is: "are we alone in the universe?"

Thought that would have been obvious.

Apparently not.

Cavemen likely did not contemplate extra-terrestrial life. My understanding of early civilizations is that more thought was given "what ARE those sparkly things" than "I wonder if there's life out there". In fact, a pretty strong case could be made that certain early civilizations assumed those sparkly things WERE life, and therefore would have spent no time wondering if there was life out there, as it was already assumed there was.

ymmv.

It looks like the discovery is arsenic based DNA found on Earth.

Thats what I said earlier in the thread. But at this point it is still speculation...but probably correct. But still, why all the hype and secrecy over this? Are they going to smash some phosphorus based bacteria over a cinder block?

I thought we had until December of 2012?!?!

You missed the small print. We nessed up big time as far what kind of modificationa and alterations we could make and they don't like what we've done with the living room and want us out as soon as possible.

You missed the small print. We nessed up big time as far what kind of modificationa and alterations we could make and they don't like what we've done with the living room and want us out as soon as possible.

Awwww man.... we're gonna need some hella spot cleaner, or we'll never get our deposit back.

Archived