Gibson Brands Forums

Need opinions and advice ASAP

Andre S

Ok, so as it turns out, I am ordering the ES 339, but I am not certain which neck profile would be better for me.

My Les Paul Studio has the 50's rounded profile, how does that compare to the 59 rounded profile of the 339?

Also, is the 30/60 profile very thin? As in would it be thin enough to give someone hand cramps after playing it?

I need to order it today, because the carrier I am shipping it from the US to me, doesn't work right up till Christmas, and the guitar may not reach in time.

So, 30/60 or 59 Rounded?

I have done research on both but I am still not sure.

Thats not something that we can help with.. If you like the LP profile get that one.

Hmmm, well I think I've decided,

the ES 335 that I like has a slender neck profile as well, so then buying the 339 with a slender profile might make sense.

OTOH the Les Paul neck is a little too thick higher up on the board, so buying the 59 rounded might be worse.

My Les Paul Studio has the 50's rounded profile, how does that compare to the 59 rounded profile of the 339?

I would bet money that the neck would be smaller on a 339 - if only slightly.

If it works on yer LP I'd guess it'll work.

I like the slimmer necks myself, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Note: My 1976 Explorer doesn't have a "slim" neck, but it's skinnier than all the Slim Taper 60s I own...

:unsure:

I would bet money that the neck would be smaller on a 339 - if only slightly.

If it works on yer LP I'd guess it'll work.

I like the slimmer necks myself, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Note: My 1976 Explorer doesn't have a "slim" neck, but it's skinnier than all the Slim Taper 60s I own...

:unsure:

Argh.

Standardized neck profiles throughout would be appreciated.

However, whilst it does work on my LP, I will get a 335, and so far the only ones that I am interested in are slim necks.

And it would be nice to try a slimmer neck.

Do I like butter on my rolls?

I need to know quick because the waiter is headed this way......

I kid, but only a bit. Honestly, I played a BUNCH of Lesters when I shopped I found very slim '50s necks and slightly beefy '60s neck. Even if you were to have one of each in your hand, the guitar you receive might be different.

There really is no substitute for holding the guitar and seeing how it feels, and only you will know if it feels right.

I thought I liked a thicker neck until I got my '60s neck Standard.....

Do I like butter on my rolls?

I need to know quick because the waiter is headed this way......

I kid, but only a bit. Honestly, I played a BUNCH of Lesters when I shopped I found very slim '50s necks and slightly beefy '60s neck. Even if you were to have one of each in your hand, the guitar you receive might be different.

There really is no substitute for holding the guitar and seeing how it feels, and only you will know if it feels right.

I thought I liked a thicker neck until I got my '60s neck Standard.....

Ah, but this thread would not exist if I could play the guitar before I buy it.

I must order it online because they are not sold locally.

I think I will try the 30/60.

Going to order now.

Variety is good and Gibson is inconsistent in profiles.

I bought my 339 last December. I spent about 45 minutes at the GC playing a 30/60 and a 59 profile. [confused] There was really very little difference between the two, but I opted for the 30/60 because that's what my LP has. Personally though, I don't think you can go wrong either way because the 339 is just an awesome guitar! So much for definitive opinions, huh? [biggrin]

Pix when you get it!!!

I bought my 339 last December. I spent about 45 minutes at the GC playing a 30/60 and a 59 profile. [confused] There was really very little difference between the two, but I opted for the 30/60 because that's what my LP has. Personally though, I don't think you can go wrong either way because the 339 is just an awesome guitar! So much for definitive opinions, huh? [biggrin]

Pix when you get it!!!

I know.....loving these opinions.....thanks though

The 30/60 neck is fatter than a 60's Les Paul neck but it's not as fat as a 50's neck IMHO. I played both but I got the 30/60 neck because I just loved the look and sound of the guitar I got. In any event a 339 isn't built for shredding with either neck, so in the end it probably doesn't matter much. The guitar is great either way! You'll love it...

Here's some info I found (see here), which pretty much states what I feel in the necks.

"The 30/60 is called so because it is .030" thicker than the traditional "60's" neck they offer on the Les Paul Standards and more accurately called the "Slim-Taper" neck on the '61 SG RI. A real Slim-Taper is very thin and flat at the nut and it tapers up to be thicker and rounder by the 7th fret or so."

Archived