Gibson Brands Forums

CAPOS

nbtel

For years I've been satisfied with my Shubb. Then this summer during an immense heatwave, after being used on 5 strings only for 6 or 8 days, the rubber turned soft like sausage skin and never recovered. Someone told me it can or could be bought separate. Fine service detail if true.

I've had decades of use out of the classic Jim Dunlop Capo (the little one, not the one that looks like a Shubb after Tim Taylor gave it "More power") Great design, costs five bucks, lasts forever, doesn't add noticeable weight to the neck, and the little teeht are the best tool I've found for levering out string pegs on flat-tops.

If the rubber ever goes bad on this (still the same one since the Ford administration: Not the same model, the same capo!) A trip to any electrician will get me a slip of sheet rubber to replace it. Haven't had to do that yet, but it's an option. Or I can always buy a new one, I reckon after 35 years that sucker is good and Amortized.

I have a Jim Dunlop (the trigger type) for 6 string and a Kyser for 12 string.

Both cheap, simple and effective.

Capoing the 12er can sometimes lead to tuning issues. I'm not going to go down that road but personally, I think the biggest factor in the action/nut height.

I love using capos. They can dramatically alter the whole tone and feel of a song as well as you being able to transpose songs keys for different singers. They open up a whole new world for the guitar.

I do a song with Ashley where I play chords capod at 7th fret and he plays the open equivalent want to hear an example, see my post entitled "Gig Footage".

By experimenting you can get all sorts of different voicings and contrasts.

Lots of people love the G7 and so do I. The Rolls Royce of capos perhaps, but more $.

I have a Jim Dunlop (the trigger type) for 6 string and a Kyser for 12 string.

Both cheap, simple and effective.

Capoing the 12er can sometimes lead to tuning issues. I'm not going to go down that road but personally, I think the biggest factor in the action/nut height.

I love using capos. They can dramatically alter the whole tone and feel of a song as well as you being able to transpose songs keys for different singers. They open up a whole new world for the guitar.

I do a song with Ashley where I play chords capod at 7th fret and he plays the open equivalent want to hear an example, see my post entitled "Gig Footage".

By experimenting you can get all sorts of different voicings and contrasts.

Lots of people love the G7 and so do I. The Rolls Royce of capos perhaps, but more $.

Good post !

I do that with another guitarist too...I've seen the Eagles do similar with their 3 guitar line-up...it fills the sound out really :-({|= well

V

Add my vote for the Shubb. Simple, adjustable, functional and affordable. Virtually ever other capo I've found throws the strings out of tune, but a Shubb doesn't. And yes, the rubber sleeve can be bought separately: http://elderly.com/accessories/names/shubb-capo-sleeve--SH2.htm

My big issue with Kysers (aside from the fact the company seems intent on pushing its religion on you) is that they are big and bulky and seem to throw the guitar out of tune. Yeah, I know everybody clips them to the headstock when not in use, but I hate having things attached to my guitar while I'm playing. Plus, the thing is just ugly.

I do sometimes use a Paige, though. It, too, is simple and adjustable: http://elderly.com/accessories/names/paige-guitar-capo--GA82-BLK.htm

For me, personally, I think the G7th is probably the best you can buy. I do think it is highly over priced.

I have a three Kysers. The tension is way too much and the levers are in the most inconvenient place. The Dunlop Trigger is the same basic configuration, but the levers are on the more convenient bottom side.

The other down-side is where to put the durn thing when not in use. I once clamped it to the headstock like nearly everyone else does. At one jam I nearly blinded a guy when he walked up to the group and I stepped aside to let him in. The Kyser hooked his glasses. The pocket is the most in-convenient place to stow it as it gets hooked when I try to remove it. I've gone to using a carabiner hooked to my belt. Then I found a short fabric key fob with a ring on both ends. One ring I hooked to the Kyser, the other I hook onto the carabiner on my belt when not in use. It hangs just above my left front pocket and sort of hangs inside the pocket as well.

I'd love to get rid of these. I may do so at the next Bluegrass jam. You think $5 each is fair?

With the proceeds I'd planned to buy a Dunlop Victor.

Someone gave me a Shubb C-series that I think works well. I like the ability to control tension and the quick release.

I'll probably buy the D'lop Victor and spend an extra 5 bucks for the Johnny Cash model. [cool]

I've used the Dunlop strap, Dunlop Trigger (2), Kyser, Shubb and G7th. My G7th is the best capo bar none. I use it all the time. I still use the Shubb Deluxe as it is an excellent capo if you aren't moving it around the neck. The G7th is a one-hand operation and I can move it around the neck and never need to re-tune. The triggers fell apart, I gave the Kyser away and the Dunlop strap made impressions in the back of the neck of my guitar.

The G7th may be more expensive than other capos but it is worth every penny IMHO.

Archived