Gibson Brands Forums

elbow issues

Sinner 13

So as we all get older issues arise, and with guitarists it's usually hands and wrists.

Lately I have been dealing with what equates to "tennis elbow".

does anyone else here have this issue, and if so, how are you dealing with it?

So as we all get older issues arise, and with guitarists it's usually hands and wrists.

Lately I have been dealing with what equates to "tennis elbow".

does anyone else here have this issue, and if so, how are you dealing with it?

There is a nice strap you can get and wear that will help wonderfully.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ace+tennis+elbow+brace&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS339&prmd=ivs&resnum=1&biw=1239&bih=833&wrapid=tlif12920131220551&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7290977357500206841&ei=XI4CTdvAC8vhnQfgxpHlDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CE0Q8wIwAA#

Available at most drugstores and Wal Marts.

If you have a severe case, taking one of those smooth rocks like they put in plants to cover the dirt, and placing it under the cushoin will add some extra relief.

Tennis elbow, golfer's elbow and many other strains, pains and overuse injuries are common in what I do on the weekends. Try to ease up on using it for a while, use heat in the mornings and cold at night and it should heal faster.

I'm in the building trade and I have it. The pain can be dreadful. I've rested it. Had steroids etc. The only thing that helps is the brace. Mine is from 'boots'. Cost £20. It really works. I wouldn't be able to work without it. They say rest is the only treatment. But who can strap their arm to their chest for a month?

I'm in the building trade and I have it. The pain can be dreadful. I've rested it. Had steroids etc. The only thing that helps is the brace. Mine is from 'boots'. Cost £20. It really works. I wouldn't be able to work without it. They say rest is the only treatment. But who can strap their arm to their chest for a month?

Here here!!

[thumbup]

Sux getting old, but considering the alternative...well...

Heat and ice are good (always end with ice). I had some severe tennis elbow a year or so ago (could hardly pick up a cup, glass, etc.). Anti inflam's, heat, ice, a small brace, and using the elbow as little as possible all helped. Probably took a good six months to get back to "normal", whatever that is as you get older! [confused]

google tendonitis or tennis elbow, there's some decent info out there regarding some exercises, stretches, etc. as well. Hope things improve for you soon.

I've had it for about 25 years. I just try not to do heavy repetitive actions that may aggravate it. Bowling is out. I try to avoid twisting motions, like doing a lot of work with socket wrenches. Working with ratchets got me. Slowly rotating my hand seems to help sometimes. Flexing my fingers feels a little better as well. Good luck with yours.

Sheesh.... listen to you young guys!

<chortle>

Laugh at this if you will, but lately my major "joint hurting" has been the base of my thumb. I write lots of notes by hand and I really should buy fat pens with the rubber so I don't strain holding the pen. I know that sounds silly, but...

I had wrist problems a while doing some specialized martial arts heavy breaking techniques back when I was a kid of 40 or so. Quit doing that technique so much and the problem went away - which is what I take as a good precedent to follow when other bendy parts of my carcass start to holler at me from inside.

Had a lady friend with a bad knee. I just hadda use this line: "Hey, what's a joint like this doing in a nice girl like you?"

Sorry...

Seriously, from various experiences of my own, working to relax the muscling around "where it hurts" helps with Tennis Elbow type things. Analyze the angles the body is using when you're doing stuff - and not necessarily stuff that hurts when you do it. Consider if the geometry is at the center of joint movement or if there's an angle involved. If there's an angle, change the muscle memory that brings an angle that isn't more or less in the center of movement for the given joint. And don't push yourself to pain.

Yeah, if a brace works, use it - but still consider your geometry, and each joint works slightly differently in each of us. The brace may treat the pain, won't it won't change muscle memory that brings whatever repetitive movement causes the problem in the first place...

Dennis G's ideas are good too, and googling will lead you to some ideas on the 2 paragraphs I wrote above.

m

I just wrote about my own experience before I read this. I started my therapy by working in a piece of ice to break up the scar tissue (hurt like a $#@#$%). After a few weeks of that I gradually started doing some weight training by holding up a few pounds and working my wrists up and down. It was a long process; longer than what it should have taken...see my thread. But the good news is that once it heals, it'll be fine.

I don't think it's an age thing. Tennis elbow is a strain injury. My doctor says rest. But when you're self employed you can't. I find that I can't carry or lift with a bent arm any more. I only did the injury early this year. So looking at this thread. It could be a long haul for me.

[confused]

If you're having elbow problems from playing guitar, you're doing it wrong.

it's a combination of work and playing.

data entry on a receiving dock.

so although I have an office I am still out on the dock lifting and toting all day.

but I really notice it while practising some times at the end of the day.

this morning I got up and no pain. so it is mostly work related.

Archived