Gibson Brands Forums

Metro Amps Kits going away

djroge1

Although I've never built a Metro amp I've heard that they were top notch kits. Sadly, he is shutting down the kit side of his business. He still offers full build amps. Here is what Metro amps had to say

"Well guys, it's time to accept the inevitable. As painful as this is for me, I must discontinue amp kits for good. I'll try to keep the cables and FX loops available in the Metroamp store.

Late this Sunday night I'll be taking the kits down. If you place an order before they are gone, please know that it might take several weeks for them to ship. After Thursday December 23rd it will be only myself here to wrap up any Metroamp obligations. Dave will no longer be with us.

It's sad that Metroamp became a liability rather than a profitable part of my business, the products are great I just didn't demand a reasonable business model. The margins were way too slim on parts of this caliber to be sustainable. Back in the days before I was married and had children I could work 70-80 hours per week and make things happen, this also was not sustainable.

Many of the issues with Metroamp could have been solved and I have worked diligently, and sacrificed almost everything personally trying to make it work. But the nature of the problems and the timing, especially over the last year have been far too much to overcome. As it is my plexi replica builds have been bailing out the failing Metroamp business for over two years. Dave has been driving over an hour each way and working for free because he believes in the products and thought we could turn it around. He can't do this any longer and I am forever indebted to him for his effort and sacrifice.

Events in my personal life only exacerbate the situation. I haven't shared this info out of respect for my family's privacy, but it needs to be mentioned here. All this year I have been going through a divorce and dealing with all that comes with that horrible experience. It is far from over right now and will continue to demand much of my time and energy. I've devoted lots of my time to helping my young children (4 year old Daughter and 1 year old Son) cope and adjust to the new arrangement. This will remain my #1 priority and business may have to adjust accordingly.

It's vital that I find a compatible balance between work and being a single Dad. I also can no longer sacrifice basic essentials like health insurance, a reliable vehicle, etc in an effort to just hold on until things get better.

It's beyond difficult to see this part of the business, which I started and ran for 8 years with my blood, sweat and soul, come to it's end.

I still believe in the products, I know they are highest quality because I have always demanded it. If an opportunity arises to make them available to you in the future I will do all that I can to make it happen. If the right person were to approach me about buying Metroamp, or licensing the rights to sell the kits, I would seriously consider it. I've been disappointed not to be able to meet your needs over the last several months and I hate to see a demand for items I can't supply. There is a working business model in there, I've just ran out of time and resources to find it.

I hope the sincerity I feel writing this will come through. I hope you can always view Metroamp as a company based on obsessive attention to details, reverence for classic amplifiers and dedication to great customer service.

Moving forward, I'll be running plexi replicas, doing some contract manufacturing, hanging at amp shows, spending time with my kids, wrapping up my divorce, looking to buy a home to raise my kids in, finally starting to address some ongoing health issues I've tended to ignore, offering the Metroamp forum for all of your amp community needs and taking head-on whatever life throws my way.

George"

I know man this really blows. I bought all my parts and PTP boards for upgrades and mods from George. I was wanting to build the 12 series kit baaaaad. Hope he pulls through all this and maybe can get it going again.

That's sad to hear. I've got a Metro JTM-45, and still need an output transformer to finish it up!

I'm willing to bet since you are a previous customer that he will either sell you the OT or let you know which Mercury tranny will work.

Ceriatone will pick up the slack.

Anyway, who needs a Marshall clone when you can build a SLO clone [tongue]

I want to do this too. !msp_thumbup.gif The problem is to do it right your pretty much at the cost of a used SLO. But would be fun to say I built it.!

Well while I have been sitting out here at the end of my drive waiting for FedEx to deliver new Gibby I decided to pull the trigger on a JTM 45 Kit and hopefully give George a little boost before christmas. I really wanted to build his 12 series amp but kept putting it off. Dang It!! So I have also been looking at the JTM 45 kit for a couple years and have always wanted an amp with a tube rectifier so F%*k It Merry Christmas to me!!!!

I'm not sure if anyone on this forum would be interested but I would be willing to do a build progress post if anyone is interested. ???

Andy

I'm not sure if anyone on this forum would be interested but I would be willing to do a build progress post if anyone is interested. ???

[thumbup] Giddyup. I'm already insanely jealous. My trigger finger is itchier than my wallet I'm afraid!

[thumbup] Giddyup. I'm already insanely jealous. My trigger finger is itchier than my wallet I'm afraid!

I really wanted to get one of his voltage switching output transformers that work like a switchable variac. I got a 73 Super Lead that has had the OT replaced and thought it would be a good candidate. Still might try to see if he has one to sell...

I really wanted to get one of his voltage switching output transformers that work like a switchable variac. I got a 73 Super Lead that has had the OT replaced and thought it would be a good candidate. Still might try to see if he has one to sell...

If not, Roy Blankenship can hook you up.

Ceriatone will pick up the slack.

Anyway, who needs a Marshall clone when you can build a SLO clone [tongue]

Ceriatone does make some killer amps. I had the DC-30 head clone a while back, and it sounded incredible. Nik is a super nice and helpful guy too!!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been keeping up with Metroamps over the past year or so and was really saddened to learn about this when I checked their site last night. I built one of their JTM45s and it is a great amp. Their kits were by far the best on the market, great components and the documentation was outstanding. The Mojo, MArsh & Weber "Marshall" clones don't even come remotely close to the attention to detail George put into his kits. Hope he has a change of heart and can get back into this soon. My Metroamp JTM45 just got a lot more special, didn't it?

I haven't been keeping up with Metroamps over the past year or so and was really saddened to learn about this when I checked their site last night. I built one of their JTM45s and it is a great amp. Their kits were by far the best on the market, great components and the documentation was outstanding. The Mojo, MArsh & Weber "Marshall" clones don't even come remotely close to the attention to detail George put into his kits. Hope he has a change of heart and can get back into this soon. My Metroamp JTM45 just got a lot more special, didn't it?

Definately, I snuck an order for a JTM 45 kit right before he took them off line and built it a couple of weeks ago. I posted progress on here. I love this amp!!!!

Archived