Gibson Brands Forums

No Stones Fans here?

freak show

Geert1976 - I mean no offence but, really? Golden Earring?

Come on - I'd wager outside The Netherlands they are considered a "one-hit-wonder" band.

I'd go on to wager no one under the age of 30 has even heard of them.

I'm sorry, but they'e not in the same league.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was an avid fan of the Stones way back when they first appeared on the scene,as a matter of fact the first album I ever bought was December's Children which I bought when I was 12 years old.I collected every one of their albums while Brian Jones was with them as Brian was the founder and leader until Mick and Keith wrestled control from him.The group was first known as Brian Jones and his Rolling Stones and it was Brian who showed Keith many of his licks and how to play slide.It was Brian who introduced many of the strange instruments like dulcimer and sitar into the Stones songs and who really was the unsung musical genius of the Stones.Brian's musicianship didn't go unnoticed by everybody and Jimi Hendrix befriended him as he appreciated Brian's musical knowledge and his uncanny inate ability to pick up any instrument and be able to play it.The others cut Brian loose and stood by as he wasted away and let his drug abuse get out of control.They made no effort to help him but after his death staged a"tribute"concert with his new replacement days after his burial.After Brian died the Stones lost a great deal of their inspiration and the only albums I bought post-Brian were Sticky Fingers and Goats Head Soup.As far as I'm concerned Brian was the backbone of the Stones moreso than the others ever gave him credit for and their music has become less and less inspired with each successive album since he died.

I'd have to agree with you up to a point. You can't blame others for "Letting" Brian Jones drug himself to death. In my experience, there's no stopping someone who's decided to take a self destructive path. The more you try to help the more they stay away, or try to prove they have control by doing even more. Not to mention, at the time, all the stones were pretty wasted. They're luck only one of them died of their excesses.

I also believe that there is a point when a successful Band becomes bigger than any one member. From an artistic point of view, you have all these fans loving your stuff, and you don't want what you've created so far to be lost in forgetfulness. Would anyone really care as much about early Stones Tunes if they hadn't done Exile or Sticky Fingers?

Then there's the unsavory Business side of it to consider. How many people were relying on the Stones for a living? Roadies, management, record company employees, plus their families. Should they all start looking for a new job because the Guitarist Overdosed? I'd say that's giving too much power to one doper.

Geert1976 - I mean no offence but, really? Golden Earring?

Come on - I'd wager outside The Netherlands they are considered a "one-hit-wonder" band.

I'd go on to wager no one under the age of 30 has even heard of them.

I'm sorry, but they'e not in the same league.

Yeah, Golden Earring is much better then the Stones, a few world hits, doesn't make a great band.

There very sloppy, bad guitar players (except Brian Jones), bad drummer, bad singer.

And the Earring is not a one hit wonder, maybe in the USA, but not in other countries.

In the USA the record companies only go for names, they do it now, and they did it in the past.

We had great bands in the Netherlands, far better then the Stones, like Golden Earring, Earth&Fire (not Earth Wind & Fire), Brainbox, The Bintangs, Shocking Blue, Focus, Sandy Coast Etc., but in the past, and now, we have one minor problem, there from Holland, a small country defending themselves with dykes against the water.

And the Earring is still wel known in Europe, also by people under the age of 30....

(with Frank Carillo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJXqqmx2msI&feature=related

The Golden Earring is asked to play in the USA several times the last 5 years, but they don't want to anymore.

Well...

I'm over 30. Over two times 30.

Never heard a song identifiable as "golden earring" and I played a lotta rock circa 1966-68.

Stones? Yes. Lots. Up through their satanic majesties' request. Then I played country for money and got into a different scene with "old time" and bluegrass. Even then some Stones stuff would get bluegrassed.

Whipping through radio stations you still heard of the Stones; never heard a comment about golden earring I can recall.

Seriously. Never.

m

Well...

I'm over 30. Over two times 30.

Never heard a song identifiable as "golden earring" and I played a lotta rock circa 1966-68.

Stones? Yes. Lots. Up through their satanic majesties' request. Then I played country for money and got into a different scene with "old time" and bluegrass. Even then some Stones stuff would get bluegrassed.

Whipping through radio stations you still heard of the Stones; never heard a comment about golden earring I can recall.

Seriously. Never.

m

Because the Stones had the luck, that they had a few hits in the US, the Earring only had to (Radar Love in 73 and Twilight Zone in 82), a lot of Radiostations in the US refused to play other songs of the Earring, because of some video's they made, or the language, used in the lyrics.

A friend of mine is a Stones fan, so i have seen a lot of live footage of the Stones and honestly, its bad, the way they play is a complete joke, Keith Richards is a below average guitar player, Roon Wood is even worse, and Charlie?, I'm always nervous that he falls a sleep when he is drumming.....

When you compare them to the Beatles?, The Beatles were much better musicians than The Stones, made better songs also.

The Stones became great due to the era they began, everything that was new, and made your parents go through the roof was great.

In the 80's or 90's they would'nt get a single change at any record company.

I'm not sure how much I'd argue against the Stones having some pretty poor concerts... but I think that three factors brought them into prominence.

1. Yeah, parents hated them, although I'd been living away from home for some time by the time I started playing some of their stuff. It was good "Stick It" music.

2. They actually did some quite good conceptual stuff regardless how some of it was converted into actual music on stage at times.

3. You're right in that well-known bands and artists seem to have to hit the right timing and a dozen other factors to be "big." One problem I see for young artists today is that they may get some play on the web, but I doubt that we again will see the kind of thing that brought us "Beatlemania" or even the 1930s teenybopper raving for Sinatra.

m

Geert, you need to follow up your rants with the initials IMHO. It's great that you like Earing better than the Stones, but the vast majority of us see it the other way. The Stones don't suck, it's just that you don't like them. I can't stand Gary Moore, but I wouldn't say he sucks, I just don't like his style.

Your joking right?

The oldest active rockband in the world is The Golden Earring from the Netherlands, formed in march 1961 and still touring and making albums.

In the USA the Golden Earring is best known for the songs "Radar Love" and "Twilight Zone".

Keith Richards is NOT a great guitar player and DOESN'T have a great feal, he is a very sloppy guitar player.

The Stones had the luck to score a world hit, when they needed one.

The Golden Earring always sound up-to-date without loosing there identity.

did you know that: Jimi Hendrix wanted te have the bassplayer from The Golden Earring to join his band, when he saw them perform in NY in 1969?

did you know that: The Who wanted the drummer from The Golden Earring to join them when Moon died in 1979?

George Kooijmans is one off the best guitar players in the world, make Keith Richards look like a joke I'm sorry.

When I'm in a lazy or sloppy mood, I grab one off my Fender cr*p-ocasters, tune it in G en play some stones, you only need 1 or 2 fingers to grab the chords.....

[...]

Yeah, Golden Earring is much better then the Stones, a few world hits, doesn't make a great band.

There very sloppy, bad guitar players (except Brian Jones), bad drummer, bad singer.

And the Earring is not a one hit wonder, maybe in the USA, but not in other countries.

In the USA the record companies only go for names, they do it now, and they did it in the past.

We had great bands in the Netherlands, far better then the Stones, like Golden Earring, Earth&Fire (not Earth Wind & Fire), Brainbox, The Bintangs, Shocking Blue, Focus, Sandy Coast Etc., but in the past, and now, we have one minor problem, there from Holland, a small country defending themselves with dykes against the water.

And the Earring is still wel known in Europe, also by people under the age of 30....

[...]

No, Geert, I'm not joking, and neither are the millions of other people who consider the Stones to be one of the greatest Rock 'n Roll bands of all time. Some of us like them. If Golden Earring is your favorite band, then that's ok, but I don't really see why that should make all other points-of-view invalid.

IMO it's senseless to argue about opinions. Some like certain things, while others prefer something else. Neither side will ever be "right".

What's not, however, a matter of opinion, is that the Stones have been around for an extremely long time; have written 20 or 30 songs that shaped the history of Music; and the Stones are highly respected amongst their peers. You may find Keith Richards to be "sloppy" [lol] , but there are a lot of professional musicians who would tell you that his playing and songwriting had a huge impact of their playing and songwriting.

On the other hand, I've never heard anyone anywhere say: "My music was heavily influenced by George Kooijmans." :blink:

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it is something to consider... [biggrin]

Maybe, but it sure helps - and it at least gives some sort of "objective" measure.

I don't deny there are "better" (technically) guitarists than KR & RW, but their feel for the music and each other is, to me at least, obvious. As I said previously - I don't think any of them are "the best" at anything they do (though it's hard to argue that Jagger isn't the best "frontman"), but when they come together, the "whole" is much better than the sum of the parts.

I can't really comment on this aspect of the US music scene, as I live in the UK. In my 50 years, I consider myself to have listened to a LOT of different music, and believe I am pretty knowledgable - not an expert (but who is?), but I can honestly say Radar Love is the ONLY GE song I've ever heard. To be fair, though, it's a great rock song.

I can't comment as, sadly, I've never heard of any of these bands.

Not in the UK - sorry.

The Golden Earring is asked to play in the USA several times the last 5 years, but they don't want to anymore.

In terms of the US market not wanting GE because of their lyrics, etc - keep in mind the Stones have had their share of songs banned (or at least, never given air-play) - Star Star & Sparks Will Fly to name a couple.

In terms of the US market not wanting GE because of their lyrics, etc - keep in mind the Stones have had their share of songs banned (or at least, never given air-play) - Star Star & Sparks Will Fly to name a couple.

It took me 2 years to figure out that Mick wasn't singing "Star Bucker" after seeing the sheet music back in the 70's.[biggrin]

I lacked access to television at the time, but as I recall the story, the Stones hadda change the lyric and title of "Let's spend the night together" when on the Ed Sullivan Show on U.S. tele.

So... then there was the FBI checking out Louie Louie for obscenity. As everyone else in the US at least, they couldn't figure half of what was being sung either.

m

I lacked access to television at the time, but as I recall the story, the Stones hadda change the lyric and title of "Let's spend the night together" when on the Ed Sullivan Show on U.S. tele.

So... then there was the FBI checking out Louie Louie for obscenity. As everyone else in the US at least, they couldn't figure half of what was being sung either.

m

Ah - good one. I'd forgotten the old "Let's Spend Some Time Together" Ed Sullivan appearance. From memory, this was their first US TV appearance, wasn't it?

No, Geert, I'm not joking, and niether are the millions of other people who consider the Stones to be one of the greatest Rock 'n Roll bands of all time. Some of us like them. If Golden Earring is your favorite band, then that's ok, but I don't really see why that should make all other points-of-view invalid.

IMO it's senseless to argue about opinions. Some like certain things, while others prefer something else. Neither side will ever be "right".

What's not, however, a matter of opinion, is that the Stones have been around for an extremely long time; have written 20 or 30 songs that shaped the history of Music; and the Stones are highly respected amongst their peers. You may find Keith Richards to be "sloppy" [lol] , but there are a lot of professional musicians who would tell you that his playing and songwriting had a huge impact of their playing and songwriting.

On the other hand, I've never heard anyone anywhere say: "My music was heavily influenced by George Kooijmans." :blink:

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it is something to consider... [biggrin]

Well put Freak Show! Opinions are just that. Trying to convince someone that their opinion is wrong is generally a futile effort with very little constructive output.

I think Geert must have mistaken the question as No Stones Fans Here? If not why and who do you think is better?

I'm from the US and am 41 years old and if you would have asked me up until 5 or so years ago who I thought was better ( or maybe who do you like more) Golden Earring or the Stones I probably would have said Golden Earring because I've always dug Radar Love and at the time hadn't really found much appealing about the stones.

Seems like over the last 5 years or so ( maybe a bit longer ) I started hearing more and more songs by the stones that I liked ( even more than Radar Love) I also started to just appreciate the band for its overall attituide and feel. It seems to be an acquired taste to some.

So Geert if you like Golden Earring more power to ya! It's not even bad to reply with a (" No never cared for the stones but I think that Golden Earring rocks!) Although that would have probably gotten someone else on a Rant as to why you should like the stones better...

By the way Liking the Stones has not made me like Golden Earring any less...

That is all I have to say about that....

Andy

Archived