Gibson Brands Forums

Chevy Van

cookieman15061

As a young teenager my old man encouraged my music playing and always bragged to others about how good I was getting.

He bought me my very first acoustic nylon stringer followed closely by an electric SG copy and Fender practice amp.

Now my Dad was a real wheeler dealer a former cop that found he could make a lot more money in sales than serving and protecting.

Besides Mom always worried about his safety and begged him to change careers.

Well one day when I was about fifteen the old man took me down to the local music store and convinced the owner to trade a beautiful 12 string Aria acoustic hanging on the wall for a set of used Byron Nelson golf clubs. I have no idea where the old man got the clubs as he didn't golf but he had the shop owner convinced he could improve his golf game with these babies.

My Dad fell about a month ago and got busted up pretty bad. He's 75, a diabetic with bad knees and hip and the fall damaged some vertebrate and doctors fear he may never walk again. He's now rehabbing and trying to get well enough to get home.

This is the first song I learned to play on that 12 string. Thanks Dad. You're the best.

As a young teenager my old man encouraged my music playing and always bragged to others about how good I was getting.

He bought me my very first acoustic nylon stringer followed closely by an electric SG copy and Fender practice amp.

Now my Dad was a real wheeler dealer a former cop that found he could make a lot more money in sales than serving and protecting.

Besides Mom always worried about his safety and begged him to change careers.

Well one day when I was about fifteen the old man took me down to the local music store and convinced the owner to trade a beautiful 12 string Aria acoustic hanging on the wall for a set of used Byron Nelson golf clubs. I have no idea where the old man got the clubs as he didn't golf but he had the shop owner convinced he could improve his golf game with these babies.

My Dad fell about a month ago and got busted up pretty bad. He's 75, a diabetic with bad knees and hip and the fall damaged some vertebrate and doctors fear he may never walk again. He's now rehabbing and trying to get well enough to get home.

This is the first song I learned to play on that 12 string. Thanks Dad. You're the best.

Great song(brings back good memories) Even greater story....and a fitting tribute to your Ol'man....Hope for a quick recovery,Rod

God bless ya, man.

My Dad also bragged about me, paid for early lessons ($5.00 from a real hippy) and bought my '61 Melody Maker (used around 1969) not to mention a Champ and a Silverfaced Super.

He found a silver faced Champ in a Church dumpster that actually worked, but the indicator light had quit so I guess the owner thought it was junk. He found it and gave it to me just a few months before he died about 5 years ago. I sent it to a guy in Jersey and had it brought back to specs, new Weber, ect.

I wish you and him the very best.

Thanks fellows, much appreciated.

It's difficult to see him now he was such a huge guy with forearms as big as tree trunks.

He's frustrated and depressed but everyday's a new day.

Both my folks were great about my music. Hipper than most in that area I guess, as they always encouraged all four of their kids in music and they never played a lick.

Pic of me with that old 12 string back in the 70s

IMG_0019.jpg

Archived