Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on Either Godin and/or Chet Atkins Nylon

Duende

I am considering either adding another pick up to one of my decent classical's for some weddings etc next year. Now baring in mind for these kind of things people are not listening in the same way as when I do a proper concert, so I can afford to lose a bit of the Classical guitar's authentic sound and resonance, but here is the crux...I don't want to lose that much of it! msp_biggrin.gif

So I am also considering a Godin or Chet Atkins. This young man's performance is swaying me to thinking a solid nylon for weddings etc is the way to go msp_thumbup.gif; does anyone own one and can share a comparison between that and a conventional electro nylon or mic'd classical?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER-ycFgp8_g&NR=1

Ah, decisions, decisions, decisions...

I've eyed the Chet Atkins nylon string guitar for a long time, but never played one, haven't bought one. The guitar has an allure to it for sure, and a reputation that Chet actually had significant input into the design of the guitar to produce a better amplified nylon gitbox than had been on the market at the time. Which it probably still holds up to, but...as with any amplification none-the-less still produces a different sound than a pure acoustic instrument. Plus, realistically on this instrument some of the standard look of a classical guitar and all it conveys might be lost a bit. It might really be more of a nylon stringer adapted to electric...

On this one, I think you have to weigh which if any instrument will help you better musically explore and convey the music you're exploring and conveying. Rather than another factor (as you mention the audience probably isn't gonna know the difference on this one...although, they may perceive an electric guitar rather than a classical guitar at a wedding gig.)

Just my thoughts, feedback...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Ah, decisions, decisions, decisions...

I've eyed the Chet Atkins nylon string guitar for a long time, but never played one, haven't bought one. The guitar has an allure to it for sure, and a reputation that Chet actually had significant input into the design of the guitar to produce a better amplified nylon gitbox than had been on the market at the time. Which it probably still holds up to, but...as with any amplification none-the-less still produces a different sound than a pure acoustic instrument. Plus, realistically on this instrument some of the standard look of a classical guitar and all it conveys might be lost a bit. It might really be more of a nylon stringer adapted to electric...

On this one, I think you have to weigh which if any instrument will help you better musically explore and convey the music you're exploring and conveying. Rather than another factor (as you mention the audience probably isn't gonna know the difference on this one...although, they may perceive an electric guitar rather than a classical guitar at a wedding gig.)

Just my thoughts, feedback...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thanks for your input, it is funny the allure the name Gibson can have when up against another similar product. On a side note I think Gibson should still offer a similar model to the Chet Nylons..anyway...

Another thing that came into my mind and started worrying me (yes worrying - I know, I know it is silly!) Because the shape of the Godin is weird and it comes with a soft and not hard case; I would probably have to buy a flight case for it which would mean I wouldn't be able take as hand luggage on a plane, as a large rectangular case wouldn't fir in the over head locker.

Matt

Some of the guys I know who play nylon string guitars swear by the Cordoba electric.

While I do not have a whole lotta time under my belt with nylon string guitars about the best I have run across was the one made by Rick Turner. Pretty pricey though.

Is the Ben Turner a solid body electro classical?

Matt

I've got a classical guitarist friend in Indiana that you might want to talk to about the "electric" nylon string guitar.

Here's his website:

http://www.stringdancer.com/jeff_foster/index.html

In fact he's got a video review of a Godin at the top left of the homepage, just click "videos".

Or here's the YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=113YKkjWGVk

I can get you in direct contact (e-mail or phone), if you like.

I haven't played the Atkins.

But I've played the Godin. The adjustments that blend the piezo and the electronic sound work great - a surprisingly realistic and really wide variety of tones and sounds. The solid body is nice as feedback is extremely minimal and you can get all the volume you want with virtually no problem. I've got an acoustic classical style guitar with a pup (Taylor NS74ce) and I've got to watch the volume and the postion of the amp relative to where the guitar is being played.

I'd love to hear what you end up with.

I have a Cordoba Gipsy Kind Studio - a flemenco styled classical with Fishman electronics on board. It was, to my ear, significantly better than any other classical in the Guitar Center classical room. The neck is a bit narrower than the traditionally wide classical, which I was looking for. So - not knowing your budget, this one might be worth a look. Comes with a nice gig bag. G'Luck.

I have a Cordoba Gipsy Kind Studio - a flemenco styled classical with Fishman electronics on board. It was, to my ear, significantly better than any other classical in the Guitar Center classical room. The neck is a bit narrower than the traditionally wide classical, which I was looking for. So - not knowing your budget, this one might be worth a look. Comes with a nice gig bag. G'Luck.

Thanks you very much for the recommendation msp_thumbup.gif, but I already have two 'concert' Classical guitars (I endorse the one by Rik Middleton see my signature).

I will never buy another classical for a recital all the while these two are in existence. One of them even has a pick up installed too.

The reason I don't take it abroad for gigs is it's value (it is insured now for $12000), and also that Tony Johnson the luthier, doesn't make much anymore, so this guitar from 1991 I think is one of the last ones of it's kind.

So, yes I was after something very specific, a solid body nylon strung guitar and thanks to Larry and Jeff have found it! cheers guys. I will post a review and sound clips in the new year msp_biggrin.gif

Matt

Nice review of the Godin GC Ambience. I've played a few of these guitars in-store and never pulled the trigger on one. One of these days... but what to give up??

I'm getting me one of them SoundTech Lightsnakes tomorrow! Very cool!

Hello,

A long time ago, in 1987, when I was still a young man, I was walking down Brussels downtown looking at music shops with no penny to buy anything. I was simply mad on guitars; all sorts of guitars. One of the music shops was different than others. It was less about electric guitars and drums and keyboards but much more about horns, percussions, violins: orchestral type of things. But there were guitars though... The one that I spotted was special: nylon strings and rather standard nylon string outlook but cutaway and thin solid body. Of course I recognised Mark Knofler's friend on 1982 Private Investigation: The Gibson Chet Atkins Nylon.

The guitar was plugged into a Fender twin reverb, and gently I asked the shop owner whether I could... and strangely enough, despite the fact that I did not look the kind of man who could afford this kind of instrument, he made me the favour to accept...

The favour... I do not know because the dream turned into a 24 years long (not stopped yet) obsession. I never played it since then, but I remember the perfectly amplified nylon sound with no Larsen and no disturbing frequency (solid body). I was only touching the fingerboard with my left hand and did not even have the use the right one. The only impression I had was "butter" this was playing like butter, easy.

The last time I had the same "butter-like" feeling was playing (again in Brussels) the violin of a pro Hungarian musician playing in a Slavonic bar.

I do not know the Godin. I did not play it. But I know that the main issue with amplifying string guitars is avoiding the mid range disturbing frequency (and Larsen risk also of course) while keeping full range control on tone. Recent types of electronics are actually great for this. I have a 250€ ELYPSE guitar made in basic wood. But I was surprised by the effectiveness of the Q-PH electronic device which makes it easy to cut the disturbing mid frequency while keeping Bass, treble, and presence controls to shape the tone (+ a phase switch). Nice. This with a VOX AMP and classic tremolo... What else?

But as you seem to be playing a lot and well, why hesitating buying a serious instrument which will not freeze, provide low action (the butter feeling), and offer you no doubt on disturbing frequency and Larsen thanks to its solid body, also offering you comfort (because thin) and the look (nothing out of space like the Godin)...

OK OK…, I am too pushy. But it is probably because I would like someone to live my dream. LOL

Good L....

The guitars are built by Rick Turner and are part of his Renaissance line. It is a thinline chambered guitar. You can get the specs and pics on his website.

Just checked the prices and again they are very reasonable.

Matt

Archived