Gibson Brands Forums

Sonic Youth

Silenced Fred

I just really started listening to them, I heard some stuff before, but never got like involved with the music. Thoroughly impressed.

Cool rendition of this song. My dad LOVES the carpenters, so I showed him this song and it gave him a little bit more appreciation for "my" music and how it mixes with "his" music if that makes sense.

One of my all time favorites. Love their cover of Superstar. They did a tribute song to Karen Carpenter on the album Goo, it's titled Tunic:

i feel like i'm disappearing

getting smaller every day

but i look in the mirror

and i'm bigger in every way

Lee Ranaldo is top three one of my favorite guitar players. Such a sonic monster; always freaking on the squares.

My favorite album is Sister. Check out this live track from the album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz_bCyirfn8

This guy has a 61 Jazzmaster all original up on craigslist for 2 grand... If I only had the money. Beautiful aged white... god I want one so bad

Yeah, the market for new and used Jazzmasters and Jaguars is all f'd up. I pine for the days when they were giving away sixties models because everyone wanted that neon pink BC Rich or Jackson. Or when you could buy excellent used Crafted In Japan models for a decent price.

My favorite are the sixties Jaguars with block inlays.

Yeah, the market for new and used Jazzmasters and Jaguars is all f'd up. I pine for the days when they were giving away sixties models because everyone wanted that neon pink BC Rich or Jackson. Or when you could buy excellent used Crafted In Japan models for a decent price.

My favorite are the sixties Jaguars with block inlays.

I want a 66 RI MIJ, they seem awesome, but yeah a vintage one would be sweet as hell

I have Goo, Daydream Nation, Dirty, and Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star.

All are good and very different from most guitar rock. I think Dirty and Experimental...

are my favorites. Butch Vig knew how to get the best out of the band IMO.

I love the 90s! Huge influence on me for my music, don't get why everyone rags on the 90s

... cuz so many of the bands sucked: Green Day, Pearljam (nuff said), Metallica went to crap, Danzig went solo (at least he got his *** kicked on video - he should never have left the Misfits), etc...

... cuz so many of the bands sucked: Green Day, Pearljam (nuff said), Metallica went to crap, Danzig went solo (at least he got his *** kicked on video - he should never have left the Misfits), etc...

Hmmm Well: Agree for the most part.... ( I wasn't that much of a Green Day Fan but they are tight as hell and always sound good live) But there was some good stuff too...

Sound Garden

Alice In Chains

Stone Temple Pilots

Nine Inch Nails

Collective Soul

Janes Addiction

Rage Against The Machine

Filter

Helmet

Tool

Pantera ( I know they started in the 80's but Didn't hit until the 90's)

To name a few...

Fred this is totally unrelated but you need to listen to some Death From Above 1979.

The album "You're a Woman, I'm a Man" is ****in sweet. My favorite songs are Romantic Rights and Little Girl. The lyrics are pretty much all overtly sexual and the riffage is sweet.

It's fuzzy bass, drums, and vocals. The drummer sings. They're awesome. I'm a long time fan.

Listen to them right now! Type in those songs on YouTube and watch the videos with the guys with elephant trunk noses.

Fred this is totally unrelated but you need to listen to some Death From Above 1979.

The album "You're a Woman, I'm a Man" is ****in sweet. My favorite songs are Romantic Rights and Little Girl. The lyrics are pretty much all overtly sexual and the riffage is sweet.

It's fuzzy bass, drums, and vocals. The drummer sings. They're awesome. I'm a long time fan.

Listen to them right now! Type in those songs on YouTube and watch the videos with the guys with elephant trunk noses.

HOLY FUUUUUUUUCK MAN!!!! I love that! They are amazing, why didnt I know of them before?

Well yeah, but look at the 80s...

Foo Fighters came out of the 90s, stuff from Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc. Great bands to me

Careful Now! eusa_naughty.gif The 80's may have not been the most prolific decade for music but we had a hell of a lot of fun! I think most of the music reflected that. Then people got all serious and "moody" ... Take me back to the days when when the guys may have looked like woman but the woman hardly wore anything! Yahooo!msp_w00t.gif

Collective Soul

You cannot be serious. This band? Really? More tasteless butt rock riffs sandwiched into milquetoast singing and playing. Every time I hear that Shine or spit me out (the giving head song) song I am so offended. My sense of good taste is offended.

Careful Now! eusa_naughty.gif The 80's may have not been the most prolific decade for music but we had a hell of a lot of fun! I think most of the music reflected that. Then people got all serious and "moody" ... Take me back to the days when when the guys may have looked like woman but the woman hardly wore anything! Yahooo!msp_w00t.gif

I don't like when guys look like girls... My friend loves 80s music, I can't stand it

You cannot be serious. This band? Really? More tasteless butt rock riffs sandwiched into milquetoast singing and playing. Every time I hear that Shine or spit me out (the giving head song) song I am so offended. My sense of good taste is offended.

Obviously If you had any sense of good taste, decorum, an ounce of intellect and or any comprehension of utilizing the english language to eloquently express yourself, you wouldn't post such an ignorant sounding response. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you need to belittle or demean it and by default the people who might like it. If you don't like them fine I would never try to convince someone to like something they don't. Basically what you are saying is that anyone who might like a song or two by them must be stupid. Since I put them on the list then it is me you are calling stupid. I assure you I am not. If you want to call me stupid then just have the nuts to come on out and say it.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sonic Youth or Collective Soul for that matter but I didn't get on here to demean the people who do.

Andy

Sorry guys. I probably shouldn't have thrown my 2 cents in to begin with. I was just trying to point out that there were at least a few good things to come out of the 90's. Some maybe better than others...

Andy

Archived