Gibson Brands Forums

Ya know what would be cool?

Kimbabig

What if someone posted like a drum track or something, and our members started adding to it, vocals, bass, guitar etc, and the whole forum got involved. I'm not saying everyone contributes to one track. But I think it would be cool if we wrote a song together. This may just be one of my stupid ideas, but I don't have a band and am willing to mix the tracks together. Thoughts?

Alright, here is what I have come up with as to rules. If you would like to make any changes to them please say so.

1.Bands may be anywhere from 1 to 6 members.

2.Bands may have as many tracks in the mix as they like.

3.Groups must have a name.

4.Groups must elect a "frontman" to mix the tracks, although he has the most control over what goes into the mix, he has the stress of putting it all together.

5.Tracks may be any length and do not have to be original.

6.Leaders may be impeached by majority rule, in that case they become a normal band member. A new leader is then elected.

7.Band members may also be kicked by majority rule. None of their work may be used after they are kicked unless they are voted back in.

8.Bands may have their own threads where they may discuss what they are doing without the hassle of PMs.

-Gentlemen's rule- Do not post in another bands thread unless asked too by one of their members.

9.You may vote a forum member who is not in a band into your band by majority rule.

10.You may not be in multiple bands.

11. Band threads may be made on January 1st. (bands may start forming now, though) Tracks are due on March 1st

Good luck and have fun.

A guy named LowDown did something similar. He posted up a basic track and let folks pick their time slots and add their piece. There was a lot of snarkiness in the thread tho, with differences of opinion on a cover or original, etc. and I'm not sure where it ended up in the end.

It's still a good idea, if we can get folks to be accepting of other's ideas.

[thumbup]

This sounds like a great idea! msp_thumbup.gif

I think we could get guitarest to come up with the bass line and someone else could come up with the drum and rhythm guitar parts. We would have choose what size phrases like 12-bar or 16-bar. Each person could pick a phrase in the song and that would be their spot to do whatever they want. And also, Kimbabig, what style of music did you have in mind? It needs to be something everyone can agree on. We could do like teams or something where you have two forum members, one on lead guitar, the other on rhythm, or something along those lines.

As for music style, I vote for a forum Blues jam! In the key of E! msp_thumbup.gif

I think it's a cool idea. Somebody should submit to you a riff, then it could be posted and built from there? What format do you envision people recording on?

WAV is preferable, but I can work with anything.

This sounds like a great idea! msp_thumbup.gif

I think we could get guitarest to come up with the bass line and someone else could come up with the drum and rhythm guitar parts. We would have choose what size phrases like 12-bar or 16-bar. Each person could pick a phrase in the song and that would be their spot to do whatever they want. And also, Kimbabig, what style of music did you have in mind? It needs to be something everyone can agree on. We could do like teams or something where you have two forum members, one on lead guitar, the other on rhythm, or something along those lines.

As for music style, I vote for a forum Blues jam! In the key of E! msp_thumbup.gif

Blues would probably be the easiest to jam on. Teams of 2-6 would be cool, then 20 people wouldnt be fighting over the same spot. If we were on the same team and you wanted E, that would be perfect because that is the key you play an A harmonica in. I also have a washtub bass out back in my shed.

[Ahhh... common ground!

I wasn't a big LowDown fan either, especially since he went nuts after I mentioned in another forum that I'd ChanBanned him. I think he spent a few weeks demonstrating why I was correct in having done that, with everything from tantrums to thinly veiled death threats. :rolleyes:

I'm definitely interested to see where this project goes. Who knows, maybe I'll have figured out Cakewalk and can actually contribute!

Insert popcorn eating icon here.....

Ahhh... common ground!

I wasn't a big LowDown fan either, especially since he went nuts after I mentioned in another forum that I'd ChanBanned him. I think he spent a few weeks demonstrating why I was correct in having done that, with everything from tantrums to thinly veiled death threats. :rolleyes:

I'm definitely interested to see where this project goes. Who knows, maybe I'll have figured out Cakewalk and can actually contribute!

Insert popcorn eating icon here.....

It will be interesting.....many good musicians on here, including you.......I nominate you as a band leader Chan.......

I probably won't participate...all depends...

Well guys I've been thinking, the team idea right now doesn't seem to be a winner. I'm letting the poll run until january 1st. If teams are not the winner then I'm thinking maybe we should make multiple tracks so that everyone can participate and 20 people aren't playing on the same track ( I don't think people will sign up though), even if they are playing at different times. Input is strongly encouraged.

I'd suspect a certain amount of selection could be done through musical genre? Not everyone is going to want to play the same type of music.

True. So I guess we could use this thread to start picking teams right?

Whoever wants to be on my team, were playing either Blues or Rock N' Roll! msp_thumbup.gif

I think the team idea will win even if the poll doesnt win, not really my personal choice but simply because the team idea supporters are posting. As for selecting band members, I'd suggest sending a pm explaining the idea and asking them to join. once bands are completed. I'd like a list of the members so I can keep everything organized.

Archived