Gibson Brands Forums

Boxcar willie's J-45

briangg57

WOW!!! I can't believe it! I just bought Boxcar Willie's Gibson J-45 along with the guitar case with all the railroad stickers on it and his railroad hobo costume along with the hat with all the presidential pins in it. I got it from his son, Larry. Boxcar had several guitars but mine was played hundreds of times on stage and also on the Hee Haw show and numerous times on the grand ole opry! My 12 year old son is also thrilled. It will be his someday, as well it should because he plays way better than me LOL

What were they thinking with the leather? How can I muffle my guitar so no one can hear it? Great pic, JT! I would have goose bumps holding Buddy Holly's guitar!

Buddy made that cover himself after seeing Elvis with his leather-clad D-18. The day before this photo was taken at a Christie's reception, I spent an hour and a half in a private room with the guitar. It plays beautifully and sounds surprisingly good, despite that leather cover. An upcoming issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine will feature a my articles on Buddy and the guitar.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack. Let's see Boxcar Willie's J-45!

Buddy made that cover himself after seeing Elvis with his leather-clad D-18. The day before this photo was taken at a Christie's reception, I spent an hour and a half in a private room with the guitar. It plays beautifully and sounds surprisingly good, despite that leather cover. An upcoming issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine will feature a my articles on Buddy and the guitar.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack. Let's see Boxcar Willie's J-45!

How much did Buddy's J45 bring at auction?

I seem to remember seeing Boxcar Willie's guitar on ebay awhile back. It had a rather high reserve as I recall.

Archived