Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Premium Plus

Niel

Hi... While hunting on Trade me (New Zealand's own version of Ebay) I came across a Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus. Now being a BIG Les Paul guitar fan ...and after a quick discussion with wife and family (yes I am in that phase of my musical career) I arrived home with my newly acquired LP Studio. What I would like to know from you guys is...how long were these made for? Mine is a 2006 and it seems that Gibson don't offer this model any more. Also looking around the forum there is a lot of discussion about the later LPs being "chambered". Is this likely to be a chambered guitar. It does feel a wee bit lighter than both my Les Paul Customs ...but not a lot (could just be a difference in timber density?)

post-28122-030122600 1293150536_thumb.jpg

I've got the same guitar. Same year.

I believe, as the previous poster said, that it is weight relieved. Someone linked a helpful thread just the other day which explains all this. If I remember correctly, the 2006's would have been weight relieved but those beyond 2006 are chambered. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I love mine. Hope you enjoy yours!

Here you go. According to this thread, it is in fact weight relieved.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

Customs generally weigh a ton. Yours will be chambered if it was made in late 2006. Nobody really knows the exact date they started chambering these guitars but it was around October.

Email Gibson and ask them how long they made these plus top Studios for. They may be discontinued now but that doesn't mean anything. Gibson could bring them back anytime there is demand or if a dealer places a large enough order. Gibson's website is also a really bad source for determining what's current and what's not. I'd actually trust guitarcenter.com more to know what models are currently available.

Hi thanks everyone...that's been very helpful and informative...I love the LP x-ray too...it seems mine is Swiss cheese...my serial number seems to indicate that it was made on the 51st day of 2006 so is defiantly not a late 06 model. Interesting to also find out that both my LP customs are likely to be Swiss cheesed too. My white one is definitely the heaviest followed by the black one with the studio being the lightest (really only a very small difference between all three..they all seem to weigh a ton)

My black custom was always my favourite.It has a very rich full smooth rock sound with tons of bass and bite. The studio on the other hand has a terrific bell like neck pickup...a fantastic blues tone. I changed the PUs in my white custom very early on as the Gibson ones were really rather micro-phonic...so I fitted it with Seamore Duncan "pearly gates" humbuckers...still never achieved the tone that I get from my black custom though.

I must say I do really like the look of the Studio premium plus with it's flame maple top uncluttered by binding etc. The Black custom is the sharpest looking gat from a distance (on stage) but the studio is the winner up close and personal. I suppose I took a real gamble bidding for it on an auction site without ever playing it (something I would never normally do)...but I was infatuated by it's beauty and kept going back to look at the auction photo till I couldn't stand it any more ..I just had to bid and I am glad to say that it has really surpassed my expectations.... It plays like a dream and sustains like a big bronze bell. I will post a couple more pics soon. cheers

Archived