Gibson Brands Forums

Defect..defectoidal. Awwww damn....not another one!!!

RRU

Hi' date='

I think I have more bad news for you...

The bridge is set with the 6 string screws facing the stopbar, this way it's possible that the strings touch the screws.

Those screws should be facing the pickup side and not the stopbar side...

Rock On,

[/quote']

You're thinking of the old ABR bridges that had the six screws facing the pickup. The newer Nashville Tune-O-matics have the screws facing the stopbar.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to pile on, but the other day I was in a store and they unboxed a new SG Standard - the binding was still wet enough that you could scrape it around (and totally jack up the finish) with your finger.

Quality Control. I'm sure it's tough when you ship as many guitars as they do, but for the ridiculous prices they're charging, they can afford to get it right.

+1 for not paying to fix an expensive guitar yourself.

I hate to pile on' date=' but the other day I was in a store and they unboxed a new SG Standard - the binding was still wet enough that you could scrape it around (and totally jack up the finish) with your finger.

Quality Control. I'm sure it's tough when you ship as many guitars as they do, but for the ridiculous prices they're charging, they can afford to get it right.

+1 for not paying to fix an expensive guitar yourself.[/quote']

Gibson does ship their guitars a bit uncured and raw. My Standard was out of the box from Gibson and my little guitar room smelled like nitro for a couple of weeks.

if it's new' date=' I'd say the easiest fix is an exchange. that's unacceptable to receive a new guitar in that condition. having to do any repairs, regardless of how time consuming or easy, is ridiculous. exchange it for one that's been done properly. [/quote']

+1...

What an absolute ****in shambles...

Gibson ban me if you want.....

What sort of excuse would you have for this...

Another example of over priced mass produced rubbish!

Im outta here!

Flight959

Gibson does ship their guitars a bit uncured and raw. My Standard was out of the box from Gibson and my little guitar room smelled like nitro for a couple of weeks.

When I got my double neck from the Custom Shop, the fumes were lethal when I opened the case at the dealer!

I took it home and found the case to be more of the culprit than the guitar - though it was a little tacky.

I aired the case out in the garage for a week in the heat, took most of the eye-watering vapors away.

Tell that to Henry. That's how stock Standards are set up. Just get yerself a skinny screwdriver.

I don' know who's Henry smile.gif.... My 1980 Standard has its bridge the way I have described...

Not a chance.

You're thinking of the old ABR bridges that had the six screws facing the pickup. The newer Nashville Tune-O-matics have the screws facing the stopbar.

You should be right but I do own a LP 80 Standard fom Nashville with a Tune-O-matic and its bridge is set the way I have described...

It's split on my Gibsons' date=' bridge is both ways.[/quote']

That's what I'm saying...

Rock On,

Seems to be no rhyme or reason to the bridge direction. (We have discussed this before). Many new guitars come with the adjustment screws facing the tailpiece. Others come facing the pickup. Both of my current LPs (Nashville bridges) came with adjustment screws facing the pickup. Personally I find this easier to adjust anyway. Bottom line is that it doesn't matter so long as the intonation is set correctly and you don't flip it around when changing strings causing the intonation to be off.

From watching the factory tour videos, it seems like there are like 15 quality checks along every step of the way on each guitar - can't see how something so obvious would make it past those QCs, the new Plek set-up system, the guy who strings and tests "each one", the guy who placed it in the case etc.

My Traditional was wonderful - as I would expect in a new product with so many such checks.

How even a few can squeek by all those checks is really surprising/weird.

From watching the factory tour videos' date=' it seems like there are like 15 quality checks along every step of the way on each guitar - can't see how something so obvious would make it past those QCs, the new Plek set-up system, the guy who strings and tests "each one", the guy who placed it in the case etc.

My Traditional was wonderful - as I would expect in a new product with so many such checks.

How even a few can squeek by all those checks is really surprising/weird.[/quote']

Disillusioned. Did I spell that wright?

The number of guitars that come out of both USA and the Custom shop with ridiculous defects is astounding! I've been a player-collector for a long time and I've owned hundreds of LP's. Badly mounted bridge posts are high on the list of flubs. I could write a book on just Gibson defects and inappropriate alterations. Check yours out. I got moneeey that says at least one of your bridge posts isn't exactly perpendictular to the body line; like " ___/___" or " ______". For many it's slight and really doesn't affect things much. However many guitars won't intonate correctly. I had a Dealer send me a freakinwickedass brockburst '58 RI (Cloud 9) a couple of years ago. Just plain gorgeous...wait? What? One bridge post was on a 60 degree angle. Then the Custom Shop jerk that set it up screwed ever single saddle right to the back of the bridge. It wouldn't even tune correctly at the nut, much less intonate. Then it even got shipped to me by the dealer!

Here's my list of typical problems:

1. Badly cut nuts (off center alignment or too deep slots)

2. Badly cut nut mounts in the fretboard

3. Hacked up binding/gouges in the board where the binding is cut

4. Poor installed bridge posts (skewed angle)

5. Badly installed frets (grooved or smashed)

6. Fret with sizeable gaps between the wire edge and binding

7. Badly installed inlays (excessive fill)

8. Multi piece backs on painted bodies. I had a GT with a 5 piece back! Holy crap that's alot of glue!

9. Non-spec or unstated alterations: wrong inlays for the model (Standards with Classic inlays) or Chambered bodies

10. The typical horrible Les Paul orange peel at the neck joint and other paint issues

11. General crap that just shouldn't be: stripped mounting screws and screw holes drilled improperly

I have to dig around in my computer for pics. I've started snapping pictures. I should have some more to post.

2006 LP Standard

DSC02644-1.jpg

2005 Standard LE...one of the 1st to pop up with Classic inlays (looks like a CLOWN GUITAR!)

DSC02614.jpg

Check this guy out! Whoaaa-ho-hah!

A few dealers are not very eager to help you.

They don't want the hassles, and they don't want to piss off Gibson.

If they can fix it themselves or just piss you off so you'll leave, that's good enough.

If the dealer is stonewalling at all, call Gibson to at least get a record established.

Ive got a few gibsons and they all have problems, the lists to long to go into detail. One of my newest les paul I said to the shop send it back and the owner just said even if they do take it back the next one will just have a different set of problems and he is right. There all cool guitars buts thats the way it is, thats what you get into when you buy gibson guitars and you just exept it or buy another make. You here people say that there guitars are perfect but I dont think there is such thing. I actually don,t expect it so anything else is a bonus. I think that its a case of [well if you dont buy it somebody else will]. We see it all the time, I bet if you all take a good look you will all find one or two faults with you guitars. I dont think it will ever change and after owning them for years ive got used to them just the way they are because they sound and play great and maybe you just can,t have it both ways but with over 50 years of practice it would be nice.

If you purchased it brand new from a shop all you have to do is contact Gibson or better than that have the shop contact Gibson. They will take the guitar back and if it cant be corrected they will replace it.

I've dealt with them many times. Every single time it's been a real kick in the crotch [for me]! My opinion is that they're unorganized and inept, but generally with some degree of good dintention. You know...Like one of those plans conkocted by Gilligan to fix the Professor's radio after he accidentally smashes it with a coconut. He hooks a Japanese generator thing to it that he finds in a cave and it ends up almost electrocuting the Skipper. Just like that.

Regardless, I contacted them about replacing this one. No repairs, just replace. The dealer that I bought it from doesn't have an exchange, at least a goldtop one. It's been three days and no response from Gibson yet.

I bet if you all take a good look you will all find one or two faults with you guitars.

Great...

Mine were perfect until I went to look at 'em!

Now I find all kinds of stuff wrong with them!

On my ES-335, there's red paint bled in around the nut and binding at the headstock.

My LP goldtop has a ding under the pick guard I found when I was first cleaning it.

Sorry Neo I didn,t want be a downer but my point is that when you buy a gibson guitar it should be a realy special time ,everytime and for to many people it turnes out not to be. I think gibson Q/C sucks and I dont see why that should be as there all ment to be the best craftsmen and women. We all pay top doller or pounds in my case for these guitars and I dont think its wrong to expect perfection. Just a few more critical checks and all would be well would you not think. Oversprey / well thats not hard to spot / badley aligned machine heads/ can,t be that tough /strings resting on the back of the bridge /der /badley aplied binding/ why / uneven nitro??? / bad body drilling, maybe these arn,t the best craftsmen or there not given the time to do there job properly. WHY WHY WHY. Just think of the burger shop scene in the Micheal Douglas film Falling Down. I think thats the one.

Great...

Mine were perfect until I went to look at 'em!

Now I find all kinds of stuff wrong with them!

On my ES-335' date=' there's red paint bled in around the nut and binding at the headstock.

My LP goldtop has a ding under the pick guard I found when I was first cleaning it.[/quote']

I really don't understand Gibson very much. I spend the bucks to get the shyt. Something the guitar is made right, with attention to detail and craftsmanship, but the majority are not. Probably, 95% of the time, I get something that looks like it was made by a 15 year old High Schoool kid on vocational Ed program.

Add up the material costs of a LP Standard or Custom. What's the tally? $200. $250 max. What do you pay for it? Fine, I'm spending some buck to keep a USA Worker in the black. Problem is, Tennesse money for factory work is about $10.50 and hour. A skilled worker might make $16.00/hr. How do I know? Gibson used to post starting salaries on their website.

Let's face the facts your [i'm] paying thousand of bucks for an image. An image that's buying Slash, Zakk, and paying for "an aggressive professional with a minimum of 7 years entertainment industry experience to coordinate entertainment/political/artist relationships for various Gibson divisions/product lines". The later is running around an giving out new shiney new guitars to Madonna's publicist and the guitar player on "Rockstar" TV show. What kind of check you think they cut Page to pretend to play his LP on the Olympics closing ceremony?

There's your equity deficit. Your paying $3k for a $300 guitar that's pimped for maximum gain. Total brainwash. Here's for the guy who started typing before he got this far:

Yes, I have Gibson Les Pauls and many of them. I [generally] like them, just like you, but I also recognize that they have a tradeable value, like baseball cards. That's part of the reason I buy them. Every once in a while, I do find one that's well done. I realize this is a capitalistic society, but I don't think all companies should try to "just make as much money as possble, no matter what". I went to business school, that's not what they taught me. Would you fly in an airplane that was made for maximum profits? How about if Maverick and Goose endorse it? Matter of fact, If Gibson made an airplane....would you fly in it? [without a parachute!]

Gibson needs to suck it up and turn into a real company, like Paul Reed Smith.

I feel your pain my friend, I went through the same thing when I ordered online, I had to send the first one back and when I finally got my second one, I checked it with a fine tooth comb. You can get a lemon with just about anything these days. Return it immediately and keep doing so until you get the one you want, it's your money.

I agree 100% with Buck.

DO NOT allow the retailer who sells you a piece of sh!t to escape with your money.

Hold their feet to the fire!

Buying a guitar by mail order is a dicey proposition, WAY too many horror stories for me, WAY too impersonal.

I want a salesperson to look me in the eyes when he's trying to fxck me....

I understand, most people don't have a fantastic Gibson dealer right around the corner. I feel for you.

What happens to that piece of sh!t guitar after the retailer takes it back is up to them and Gibson.

If I have to go to Gibson myself for satisfaction (they will refer you back to the dealer) I'm gonna want a pound of flesh.

Just think of the burger shop scene in the Micheal Douglas film Falling Down. I think thats the one.

What a great movie that was.

Haunts me to this day when he looks up and says with complete sincerity and amazement "You mean I'M the bad guy?"

You know...Like one of those plans conkocted by Gilligan to fix the Professor's radio after he accidentally smashes it with a coconut. He hooks a Japanese generator thing to it that he finds in a cave and it ends up almost electrocuting the Skipper. Just like that.

It's good to see that you haven't lost your sense of humor! [-X

I have to say that my experience with Gibson products has been very good. I haven't owned / traded an extensive number of them but they've all been well put together and finished, played well, and made great working guitars.

I can't understand how they can drill a bridge post hole crooked. Jeez, they have a template drawn on the body, the back is flat, and they're using a drill press. How hard can that be?

I have to say that my experience with Gibson products has been very good. I haven't owned / traded an extensive number of them but they've all been well put together and finished' date=' played well, and made great working guitars.

I can't understand how they can drill a bridge post hole crooked. Jeez, they have a template drawn on the body, the back is flat, and they're using a drill press. How hard can that be?[/quote']

I believe they use a cnc router for that, is all automated,but if some careless person hammers it in, it can go in any direction no matter how strait the hole is. I spent 2 1/2 hrs at the factory a couple weeks ago, and I see whats going on, they are understaffed and working plenty of overtime ( starting pay is up to 11.50 btw). I'm amzed that this stuff is getting thru, several different people check the guitars very closely and they rotate those people around.

I wouldn't be supprised if the rejected guitars go to rework, that may be where someone is making a decision to band-aid the problems and put it back on the line.I believe every person signs a ticket for the work they did , if they know the ser# they know who botched something up . I would not let that person get away with it , a few bad calls and they are gone...so no matter what you do , tell them whats wrong and give them the ser# so they can see who is causing problems and get them out of there.

I will never buy an expensive guitar without touching it first. if you can't make it to a gibson dealer thats one thing but too many people are just getting too damn lazy and buying their dream guitar off the internet. why should they worry when so many people buy them sight unseen. their sales are only getting bigger and bigger thanks to instant internet gratification buyers.

Archived