Gibson Brands Forums

Defect..defectoidal. Awwww damn....not another one!!!

RRU

This is a brand new Les Paul Traditional. The adjuster ring is frozen and the and the post was threaded in 1/4 of the way. Plays great....I wounder how it would sound if they actually threaded the post? You know, just curious and all. What would the warranty squad do with this if I sent it in for remanufacturing-repair? What a joke.....

DSC04843.jpg

DSC04842.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I think I have more bad news for you...

The bridge is set with the 6 string screws facing the stopbar, this way it's possible that the strings touch the screws.

Those screws should be facing the pickup side and not the stopbar side...

Rock On,

Hi' date='

I think I have more bad news for you...

The bridge is set with the 6 string screws facing the stopbar, this way it's possible that the strings touch the screws.

Those screws should be facing the pickup side and not the stopbar side...

Rock On,

[/quote']

Tell that to Henry. That's how stock Standards are set up. Just get yerself a skinny screwdriver.

The bridge is set with the 6 string screws facing the stopbar' date=' this way it's possible that the strings touch the screws.[/quote']

Not a chance. They're already resting on the back edge of the bridge itself. You couldn't get it high enough to have them touch the screws. By the way, they shouldn't be touching the bridge anyway. Once you get all your post issues sorted out, you may want to raise the stopbar a bit.

Wow, sorry you got a Les Paul that needs some help.

You're not gonna believe this but it's an easy fix.

You'll need new strings, a 2x4 and a mallet or hammer.

If you can't back out the screw you'll have to be more carefull.

All you have to do is place the 2x4 over bushing/thread and give some small taps.

Preferably a pine or some softer wood for the 2x4.

You might be able to slowly pull the screw/bushing out if you want to remove the screw first.

If you're completely afraid buy the following :

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Electronics/Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.html

I used this to pull the bushing out of my tailpiece when I had the grounding problem.

So this is something I did do already, and I used the 2x4 to install the bushing.

The reason I say use a soft wood 2x4 so the bushing/screw will indent the wood and not do any

damage.

If you bring it back/return they will do something similar. By you doing it you know you'll try your best.

Good luck.

Though I'm all for DIY repair, I just don't know if I would feel too great about a guitar that was delivered to me this way, particularly after paying a lot of money and also considering this should be my new favorite for a while.... puts a bad taste in the mouth if you know what I mean...

HEY, what happened to the DIY repair guys post?

Call gibson's 24hr custmer service hot-line, try and speak with a Benton Cummings ( He is usually around at night) he's alright look's like you just need a new post and threaded ring/height adjuster. He should sent you a new pair out with a new set of strings. If it was mail order call and ***** you should get some kinda discount. P.S. that's an easy fix with a new threaded post, just get 2 nuts with the correct thread pitch and lock 2 nuts together and drive-em down tight ( I'd do both of-em) and you'd be go to go.

Call gibson's 24hr custmer service hot-line' date=' try and speak with a Benton Cummings ( He is usually around at night) he's alright look's like you just need a new post and threaded ring/height adjuster. He should sent you a new pair out with a new set of strings. If it was mail order call and ***** you should get some kinda discount. P.S. that's an easy fix with a new threaded post, just get 2 nuts with the correct thread pitch and lock 2 nuts together and drive-em down tight ( I'd do both of-em) and you'd be go to go.[/quote']

Yeah, well that ain't happening. I have enough projects and I'm not spending hard earned free-time ordering parts and wrenching on brand new guitars. If someone in Nashville doesn't care enough to screw it in right in the first place, there's some serious issues. This isn't the first Gibo flub-a-roo I've gotten and I'm sure it won't be the last. I could send it in for warranty, but the last time I did that the guitar sat around for 3 months before anyone even bothered to look at it. Then they said "sorry Chumpie...crushed, grooved frets are normal. Oh and good luck returning it since we've goofed off for three months, sucker." I have quite a few other incidents with these grubs.

I took a good hard look at this guitar and I can tell you why they left it like that. The post hole is angled. If I screw it in, the post distance exceeds the spread of the bridge. They didn't drill the hole straight (parallel with the other post hole).

No, no, they need to start getting things straight and right, the first time. I've had quite a few messed up guitars from Gibson and I know the routine; just ship the damn thing back. USA, Custom shop, anything with a Gibson logo..the story is the same. Some dolt is probably going to say "why do you buy Gibsons' ******". Truth be told, that's a good question and maybe I should stop. One thing is for sure, the only thing they care about is meeting the monthly shipped guitar quota. Once in a while I find a keeper. I don't mind spending the cash and I buy lots of guitars. Personally, I would be thrilled if Paul Reed Smith would make a true Les Paul copy and be done with it. Holy crap, what's the odds of that?

No, this is how it goes. Some people keeps crap like this and are happy to try to straighten it out on their own. Homey don't play that game. Warm up your drill and watch Musician's Friend clearance page for this one...you could have it. I don't buy crap and I don't fix brand new $2k-$4k guitars.

YO RRU, YOUR 100% RIGHT AND I AGREE WITH YOU. SEND THAT **** BACK. With gibson's now a days it's a crap shoot on a 100% good one. It suck's don't it. I hear a lot just here at this USA Gibson forum all the time with this kinda **** and as a matter of fact I'm sending mine back tomorrow because of this 000_3666-1.jpg Don't know what they will exactly do for me but over the phone they are talking replacement and I'll be out of a 1 of 400 model. If you got yours mail order just like I got mine, It seems they like to pass a lot of **** out that way. Next time I'll go a play one first.

RRU,

I agree 100%.

You have some pics, maybe get a few more.

I would send it back in a heartbeat if it was mail order, you may not be the first to do so.

I've heard BAD stories about those guitars being passed around until some dummy accepts it and keeps it.

When is the production date, how old is it?

If it's only a few weeks, you're likely the first lucky owner.

Gibson has been doing better in the last few years.

But recently they advertised they need to hire a couple hundred more people....

If you get a direct replacement, you should be getting a discount in addition to a formal written apology.

Good luck Buddy!

Wow that's much worse Cuda. If I recall when you first posted about this problem it just looked like a smudge on the finish. As to what they are going to do, I'd wait to hear them say they definitely have a replacement or at least a solution that you're happy with before sending yours back.

They tell me I must send it to them and then they will let me know. They also said to include a letter inside the case as to what I want them to do, and oh yea, I have to pay the 50 bucks to send it to them and they will pay to have it shipped back. Kind-a really sucks for my first brand new Gibson purchace. But I'll tell ya, those BurstbuckerIII's are sure nice in the bridge.

Cuda, you're in a fix.

1 of 400?

Gibson needs to get right with you, refinish THAT one if they can't replace it.

RRU on the other hand, I would stick that up the *** of whoever sold it to you.

That BS is between them and Gibson.

It's the dealer's liability for selling you such sh!t, they should have returned it to Gibson.

I hate to say yours is just a Goldtop Traditional, but Gibson is making more of them everyday.

Make the dealer get square with you, get a replacement, don't bother with Gibson unless the dealer gets squirrely.

RRU on the other hand' date=' I would stick that up the *** of whoever sold it to you.

That BS is between them and Gibson.

It's the dealer's liability for selling you such sh!t, they should have returned it to Gibson.

[/quote']

Well put.

Cuda - The problem with you sending it back and then they figure it out is, when? 6 months from now? I think it's safe to assume they don't have any of the original 400 GOTW BFG's sitting around in the factory store room. So they will either have to build you a new one "#401 of 400" :) or refinish the one you have (in however long that will take).

I agree Neoconman This is all they have left of the GOTW'S for 2007. The unoffical Paul Stanley Model that is twice the price of my studio that is also 1 of 400GIBSONLESPAULCLASSICCUSTOMGUITAROFT.jpg but if they just let me do this to one gibson employee with my BFG and let me go a little bit further, I'd call it even and they could keep the guitarnobutts.jpg

That should not have passed QC. The action alone on the low E side must be sky high. Send it back (mail order) or take it back to where you bought it. That is totally unacceptable for a $2k+ guitar.

Somebody in QC was not doing their job by the looks of it.

Cuda, LAMUSIC.ca in Canada has a BFG like yours, and it's nice. It's hardly been played, and the finish is dry... It's still a new guitar. You could order if from them, and you won't get jerked around... Just sayin' if you're dyin' for one of those specifically, and Gibson f#@$ you.

Cuda, keep the faith. It looks like some blush in the lacquer that can be fixed with a spray of nitro or cellusolve, some heat and time, and a buffing. If its being done by Gibson, you still have your limited edition guitar. They make a lot of guitars, and I'd like to think that given the chance they will make good on the ones that get through q.c. Keep us posted anyway.

As for the crooked bridge posts on the goldtop, send it back and try another. Incidentally, Nashville bridges are supposed to have the screws facing the tailpiece, as opposed to the original ABR-1 design.

Archived